Cannot set up My Cloud

Trying to set up a new 4 GB My Cloud from MacMini with latest OS version of Yosemit with no luck.

1. Connected My Cloud to router with cable provided

2. Downloaded and started the setup.

3. Blue light is lit.

4. Cliced Next on Select your WD My Cloud screen. For a minute or two I get a spinning beach and the Force Quite app says not responding.

5. Keep waiting and eventually beachball goes away and so does not responding.

6. Wait several minutes more and get message "There was a problem connecting to the server “172.160.0.113”. 

7. WD MyCloud is visible in finder but Finder says Connection Failed.

Any ieas on how to get this thing set up would be appreciated.

I would do a scan on the network to see what IP address it’s pulling via IP Scanner and log into the My Cloud via a web browser.

Watch this video and see if it helps. He is using an Apple computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078xdmH1DiM

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks. First let me say I’m in over my head here. Was expecting to plug it in and have it work. Anyway, I got IP Scanner from the appstore. It does not show My Cloud. But I did notice that IPs it does list all start with 192.x.x.x. The My Cloud seems to have an IP of 172.116.0.113. Is that the issue and what can I do about it?

I would try to reboot the MyCloud.

If that does not work, then you will have to set your Mac to a static IP in the 172.16.0.X network… Most likely, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 because it is a Class B Network… Leave the Gateway as nothing… 

At that point, I would try to access the MyCloud… If you can, then I would set a static IP within the 192.X.X.X network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Please let me know if this helps.

Video does not help. He connected and found the device right away. I can’t.

Cat0w,

The MyCloud is on an entirely different network. Most likely, he is using a Class C network - 192.X.X.X.

Cougar, resetting did noty help. But when I set the Mac iIP to 172 etc. I got the setup screen but could not connect to the internet. So I set the Mac IP back. Can you explain what you mean by " then I would set a static IP within the 192.X.X.X network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0."  How and where do I do that. Thx.

Reply to: cougar0790

I have a WD My Cloud too and it’s not that hard to set up if you follow the instructions.

Look at this My Cloud │ How it Works.

See the User Manual.

It is just another computer and that’s the way I treat it. See image below. Yes it has some added features.

WDMyCloudComputer.jpg

Why do you say it is on a different network. I take it he is setting it up on a home network, on a Apple Mini.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

What router do you have? Check to see if you can reserve an IP address for your My Cloud on your router. See example image below.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

I have a four year old Apple Time Capsule. The hard disk has gone bad but the router works as usual. I purchased the My Cloud because of the bad disk instead of going with another Time Capsue.

The Time Capsule is plugged into a CenturyLink router connexted to thge internet via DSL

In the Internety section of Airport Utility the iPv4 address is 172.16.0.35

The router address is 172.16.0.1

Airport Utility start screen says this:

LAN IP address: 172.16.0.35

Version 7.6.4

A list of wireless clients all with IP 192.168.0.x

The Mac is connected via ethernet cable to the Time Capsule

In Networkj preferences the IP Address is 192.168.0.5

Router: 192.168.0.1

I do not see anything that sounds like DHCP Reservations in Airport Utility. 

Other than that I have no idea what I’m doing or should do to make My Cloud work (assuming it can).

cat, I was able to find DHCP Reservations after all. I set up the Mac Address and My Cloud appears to be working. I appreciate yours and others help.