Cannot establish remote connection (error 31520)

I can access my files via Windows. The disks are attached to my broadband modem-router. I just back up as I would any other disk.

Same problem here and when I contacted WD they were beyond useless.

How can we get WD to acknowledge this?

Thank you for the reply. So you still have not been able to gain any kind of remote access?

I don’t know how but after multiple tweaks it appears to be finally working!
I followed the steps here for a manual connection:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23735

WD also sent me this after it started to work again Error

For now fingers crossed it’s working. I was using automatic which did give me the 31520 error.

Here the same, is there any port we can change? 3 live books… functioned always

Happy to see that the upload function WD photos still works…

The device relies on a VPN connection to WD’s infrastructure to make them publicly available when port forwarding is not available. Unfortunately, the certificate shipped with the device expired the 8th of March. WD fixed this by sending a new certificate along with the relay servers that are dynamically inserted in the VPN configuration file.

Unfortunately, they send base64 encoded PEM certificate in a single line. OpenVPN craps out on that format, as it is strict in wanting the certificate aligned at 64 characters. A silly mistake indeed and something that could be fixed very easily on WD’s end.

To those that have command line access and want to give it a go, insert newlines exactly after 64 characters in the PEM certificate (within the node) in /CacheVolume/.orion/client.ovpn. Then manually restart OpenVPN with openvpn --auth-user-pass /CacheVolume/.orion/auth.txt --config /CacheVolume/.orion/client.ovpn

1 Like

@vsokoyvg Thank you a lot for investigation and solution - I can confirm this method worked for me!
The only thing is that after restarting OpenVPN with the given command, it did not exited to the terminal, but stuck with message “Initialization Sequence Completed”. I had to terminate with Ctrl+C - not sure if this was expected. Anyway, I did a safe reboot from the web browser and still have access from my mobile phone, so should be fine :slight_smile:

Thank you once again! I was sure someone well oriented will solve it much faster than WD support (if they will fix it at all).

EDIT:
OK, not fully fixed the issue… Not sure if it’s due to reboot, or a matter of time (I’ll know it tomorrow probably) but the certificate changed back to the singleline one… either WD have to fix it on their side, or someone would need to dig a bit more to find a way to prevent from downloading faulty certificate…

Yes, /CacheVolume/.orion/client.ovpn is regularly overwritten, so I wouldn’t expect it to work long term.

For something more persistent, you might want to try enforcing the 64 character width in /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/updateremote.sh. Make a backup of that file and then pipe the output of the sed replacement through fold -w 64 before redirecting it to /CacheVolume/.orion/client.ovpn. The line should thus become:

sed -e "s/remote host port/$SRV/g" client.ovpn.tpl | fold -w 64 > /CacheVolume/.orion/client.ovpn

This should survive a reboot and play nicely with the rest of the firmware, but it’s of course at your own risk. Again, it’s on WD to fix this properly.

Thank you, this solution work for my cloud.

Im a new on this, how can I do all those commands?
Would CMD SSH works for this?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue…
please fix it @wd.com

Same problem here, very annoying. I have sent a message to WD support to inform about the problem.

I have the same problem. WD should fix the problem. If anybody can explain step by step how to fix this problem. Thank you in advance…

I was able to solve the problem after contacting WD support and doing some tests. In my case, the solution was this:

1- Open the TCP ports 80 and 443 of my router for my My Book Live IP address.
2- Switch to manual remote connection in the setup options of my My Book Live.
3- Introduce the ports 80 and 443 in the setup of the manual remote connection.

After applying this configuration, I can access again to my My Book Live using My Cloud app and a mobile data connection.

Hi guys. The following actions helped me. I entered the application on my phone → Settings → Advanced settings (Verify device connectivity) → Removed the switch from my device. Rebooted the application. From a home network, everything works fine. Write if this helped you.

1 Like

This one worked for me too, thanks!

I contacted WD and escalate the issue with their customer relations department, where their CORP team make their high level TECH providing me a solution similar as @vsokoyvg.

Personally I dont like opening ports on my router so here is the solution provided to me by Linksys with an updated Certificate file.

In order to do all steps I downloaded and used WinSCP (WinSCP :: Official Site :: Download), which allowed me to connect to my book live through SSH from my windows 10, transfer the new Cert, rename old and set the properties mentioned on it.

• enable SSH
  • go to /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient
  • rename ca.crt to ca.crt.old
  • copy the attached ca.crt.txt and rename to ca.crt
  • chmod 774 ca.crt
  • Set your Remote Access as Automatic on your MyBookLive daskboard and Reboot the My Book Live from the dashboard.
  • You can verify proper operation of the cert by checking the log file using this command cat /var/log/openvpn.out

Hope it helps and remember to remove any port forwarding if you enabled it and enable UPNP.

ca.crt.txt (1.3 KB)

2 Likes

Hi.
I followed the steps you suggested.
Here it is the message in /var/log/openvpn:

Options error: --nobind doesn’t make sense unless used with --remote
Use --help for more information.

What is going wrong?

Thanks

The last step needs to be done on the terminal.

cat /var/log/openvpn.out

Its a log file that will tell you if the process went correctly.
At this point you should be able to connect remotely to the MBL without the port forwarding and as Automatic option on the dashboard.

Thanks you for your reply.
The result is the same

MyBookLiveDuo:~# cat /var/log/openvpn.out
Options error: --nobind doesn’t make sense unless used with --remote
Use --help for more information.
MyBookLiveDuo:~#

The error 31520 is always present.