Can’t open excel files

Hi All,
Apologies if this question has already been covered.
I have a WD MyCloud which I have recently updated to 5.0 however I have had a particular problem for ages.
When I’m away from home and require to open excel or word documents I keep getting an error message is the centre of the screen on a black screen telling me unable to open excel document or word document, has anyone else had this problem and have you been able to find a solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been in touch with WD Support who are not giving me a solution.

Regards,

Les

@MrChairman1
What device are you trying to open Excel and Word documents on?

I often open them on my Cell Phone, a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G. I have Microsoft 365 and haven’t had any problems.

Hi cat0w,
Thanks for your reply its most appreciated.
I can also open them on my iphone no problem, however I also use a laptop running Windows 10 and its on this device that I have the problem, attached is the screen shot of the error message.

@MrChairman1

What happens when you click on Download?

Below is an image of what I get on my Cell Phone when I first tap on a Excel file. I tap on that and get another image and under the Icon it says, Open in Excel. I tap on that and my file opens.

Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

Hi Again cat0w,

It actually downloads the file, this then means that any alterations I do in that file have to be copied and pasted to the master file when I’m back at the office which is a real pain and defeats the idea of the WD Home Drive, which as you know should allow me to alter and save any file within the drive while I’m working away.

I’m so annoyed that it isn’t working as it should that currently I’m looking at using DropBox.

Thanks again for your input,

Regards,

Les.

Hi Again cat0w,

Thanks for your help with my problem, however I can now confirm that because the technical services offered by WD has completely let me down my WD MyCloud device has now been switched off and I have resorted to DropBox

This error can occur if your Microsoft Office account sign-in fails or for technical reasons. Technical errors are associated with malfunctioning the hard drive or any other storage where your Excel is installed. Therefore, to solve the problem, you need to start diagnosing your device. It may also be the version you are using, which is probably outdated. Personally, I constantly check for the latest update because I need them for work that involves computing. As a rule, these calculations are connected with my work in Excel, making it much easier to perform actions using formulas. If you also need this to work, you may need information from wallstreetoasis.com. Still, fees in opening a file can be associated with a bad provider that does not catch the signal well, so using data transfer fails.