BUG Confirmed 1.04.17V - VOB stutter over network

When will this be fixed? It is unacceptable for WD to release firmware that obviously has not been tested. This is basic capability that is easily tested. I have invested heavily in WD (Player, and USB drives) in order to play my media over my network.  

Having raised a support issue, I have been directed at this forum. I do not see why I should back level my firmware, when the device does not natively support this function. When new firmware is released, I can easily upgrade, there is nothing that allows me to easily jump back to a previous version.

I was about to purchase another two players, but this issue has seriously dented my faith in this device, and the ability of WD to introduce new capability and functionality, especially additional functionality that you would expect in any media player (I.e. DVD menu). I am now considering a switch to Seagate Goflex, unless WD fix this issue soon.

ghill2 wrote:

When will this be fixed? It is unacceptable for WD to release firmware that obviously has not been tested. This is basic capability that is easily tested. I have invested heavily in WD (Player, and USB drives) in order to play my media over my network.  

Having raised a support issue, I have been directed at this forum. I do not see why I should back level my firmware, when the device does not natively support this function. When new firmware is released, I can easily upgrade, there is nothing that allows me to easily jump back to a previous version.

I was about to purchase another two players, but this issue has seriously dented my faith in this device, and the ability of WD to introduce new capability and functionality, especially additional functionality that you would expect in any media player (I.e. DVD menu). I am now considering a switch to Seagate Goflex, unless WD fix this issue soon.

You can easily rollback its all here. If of course you want to wait for some months its up to you but you do have a simple WD approved alternative.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I just sent this message to bill_s via PM.   From what I can tell he is the only active moderator on any of the WD product forums, and our only lifeline to getting some info:

Bill,

The top issue with the latest firmware is the VOB stutter issue.  Please respond to this thread with some info to keep us customers believing in a product whose main function is to play media.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/BUG-Confirmed-1-04-17V-VOB-stutter-over-network/td-p/108518/page/5

I’m looking into this right now, and I’ll let you know as soon as I find out something.  But usually, when we release a firmware update and something gets broke, it gets put high on the list for getting fixed. 

Bill, while you are looking into vob playback over network look into mkv playback over network as well the problems are similar.

We are definitely working on this.  What we’re working on is issue(s) with AVI, MKV, and VOB files not playing smoothly over network.  It would be helpful if we got more information from some of you.  

Helpful Information:

1. Specific VOB files, or all VOB files?  Also, with AVI and MKV - some or all?
  2. Is this happening on a wired or wireless network?
  3. What OS, if you’re sharing from your computer?  Or are you sharing from a NAS device?

Please feel free to post your responses to this thread.  But make sure to answer all three questions if possible.

Every VOB I’ve got.

From a Samba share on a Linux server.

Wired - everything connected via gigabit connections.

Works fine in 1.3.49.   Not in any 1.4.x

bill_s wrote:

We are definitely working on this.  What we’re working on is issue(s) with AVI, MKV, and VOB files not playing smoothly over network.  It would be helpful if we got more information from some of you.  

Helpful Information:

1. Specific VOB files, or all VOB files?  Also, with AVI and MKV - some or all?
  2. Is this happening on a wired or wireless network?
  3. What OS, if you’re sharing from your computer?  Or are you sharing from a NAS device?

Please feel free to post your responses to this thread.  But make sure to answer all three questions if possible.

1. Every VOB I have tried has the problem. But I don’t have many. Weird thing is if I press play on the VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB(s) it plays correctly. No menus of course, but I really don’t care about that.
  1. Wired connection, 100BaseT
  1. Only tried it from one WDTV Live sharing an external disk to a second WDTV Live.

Hope this helps.

1.04 - Either firmware - tested both wired and wireless g networks

AVI - Seems to work fine reguardless of file size - Largest is 3.5 GB

MKV - Works fine for about a minute, then stuttering and loss of audio, mostly handbrake DVD encodes but tried a few others

M2TS - only wired network tested - Same as mkv

All files are working fine over either network on 1.03.49. The only difference is that on the older firmware I am using the media server option to locate content since I cannot log into my win7 network shares with this firmware.

bill_s, I have posted many times before, but here is the information that you asked for.

1. Every VOB has the problem (when trying to use dvd navigation). If you just play the VOB file, it usually plays smoothly. Also, in all cases that I have tried so far, if I re-encode the exact same files that were stuttering (in the VIDEO_TS directory) into an iso, the iso file plays back smoothly. This same behavior has been reported and confirmed by many others.

2. I am using wireless (WNDR3700 wireless router and WUSB600N network adapter).

3, Windows XP, using network shares.

Problem was introduced with firmware 1.04.10 and continues with 1.04.17. Works fine with 1.03.49. 

All VOBs stutter when trying to use dvd navigation.

I am wired.

Files shared via MyBookLive.

Problem was introduced with firmware 1.04.10 and continues with 1.04.17.

Works fine with 1.03.49. 

I have 2 devices.  1 remains at last BEST FIRMWARE of 1.03.49.  2nd device is at 1.04.17.

Can also confirm issue.  If playing over network, can press play on VIDEO_TS folder and get no issues, though of course can not get menu access.  If go into VIDEO_TS folder and select any of the VOB files I get stuttering issues.

Where I have ripped a single VOB file to a folder - e.g. a single TV episode from a dvd - can play that file without issues.

Can select and play a VOB within VIDEO_TS folder without issue from a directly attached USB drve.

Can play mkv with 4 Mbps H264 and 640 kbps 6 ch AC3 across network without issue.

All dvds (my own!) have been ripped in same manner with dvd decrypter.

Using Network shares via ethernet with Win XP.  on firmware 1.04.17

All VOB files. Does not matter if folder contains DVD menu or not. All VOBs located in VIDEO_TS folder. I access VOB on a VISTA network share and Buffalo NAS Mini (not sure of the OS). Network is gigabit (all netgear), although WD connects at 100.

I bought the WD Live plus yesterday at BB. Bought this unit for reading VOB files over a share HD over XP and a wired network. I wasn’t aware of the problem then. As soon as the box was on, there was a notification of a new firmware. So I did upgrade the firmware. I tried a regular XVID video, it played perfectly. Second, I tried a ripped DVD (DVDFab with VOB files) and this is where I saw the problem. I thought it was because of my 3 other computers on the router eating bandwith. Removed them, but problem persists. After half an hour trying to figure out what was the problem, I just went for a refund. Now, I don’t know if I should go and buy something else like Asus O!play, Seagate or whatever or wait for a fix. I needed this device mainly for reading VOB files and it failed. I decided to buy this one because it seemed to be the most versatile player but I was looking for a device that could read VOB file.

By the way, to read a VOB file, I had to go select a file directly into the VIDEO_TS folder. Trying to start the VIDEO_TS folder itself does not work, either play or enter button. And of course, I had the stutter problem.

@Ned2865: Hi,

I see two options:

1. downgrade to a firmware version which worked fine with VOBs

2. try another product from another vendor

My personal experiences with the WD TV live and its bugs shows me that the current WD process to fix bugs and care about costumer needs is extreme slow and you never get a commitment that they’ll create a fix for a specific issue and never get a commitment when a the new firmware will be ready for market and available. These multi-media players are cheap boxes and WD seems to throttle investments which results in small development teams and slow reactions for the end customer needs.

With this personal experiences I never ever would expect to get a fix for this soon and never would wait for it. I would look for another vendor. But I’m sure there are a lot of people around here who have another point view to this.

Greetings from Germany,

Jim,

From what I’ve read, obviously, the latest firmware is not suitable. So I went back and bought the media player again!!! But did not upgrade software…everything works like a charm…will update when a fix will come out.

Thanks for the help and thanks to this forum!

Bill It’s been over 2 weeks. What’s the status of new firmware? Especially to fix the Vob issues.

VOB and MKV files over network are the problem areas. avi and mp4 files the same size (1.4G) and VOB and MKV don’t have the network choke issue. Small VOB and MKV files (<500MB) don’t choke either. What’s different about how VOB/MKV files are handled verrsus AVI/MP4 files?

I had the same problems with stuttering VOB’s after upgrading to the latest 1.04.x  firmware.  Rolling back to 1.03.39 resolved the issue immediately.

All .vob files stuttered, tested 30+ random titles out of a couple hundred.

Server is WHS 2008 all updates, Core i5 Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 2TB WD Caviar Black drives, Gigabit network, wired.

Problems happened even from cold boot of server and all network hardware, streaming only to the WD.

On at least one movie noticed that the length of the movie was reported as over 4 hours instead of around 2 hours.  Playback would actually skip backwards a minute or two, then play past the last point for a few seconds jumping back again, not quite as far.  FF or REW would temporarily play, then stuttering again.

Hope this will be of some use in your troubleshooting.

I too am now experiencing the stuttering issue (and the low WAF!).

1.  All VOB I have tried.  VOB files ripped as whole movies or main movie only with DVDFab.  I started noticing it on 1.04.10 and it was not fixed with 1.04.17.  Don’t use mkv or avi for my dvd collection.

1. Always has been wired, 100mbps

2. Windows XP shared folder.

Pressing play on the Video_TS folder plays the main movie fine, but no menu support.

Opening folder and selecting 1st vob file causes stuttering.

If you have to remove Mediafly, deezer and flingo to fix this, please do.  I have no idea what benefit these sites even give me.  At least add something useful like Netflix (DRM/hardware be darned).