BUG Confirmed 1.04.17V - VOB stutter over network

Nehptis wrote:
Bill It’s been over 2 weeks. What’s the status of new firmware? Especially to fix the Vob issues.

I know they are working on this, but I’m not sure when it will be released.  However, it does seem like it’s about time for a new firmware update isn’t it?  It should be soon.

I hate to be “that guy” who’s bugging the expert about something he already knows… but I also hate to be “that guy” who owns a piece of hardware that has to resort to hacked firmware to run as-advertised.

Today’s update did not fix the stuttering. (Or so I read in the firmware’s thread.  I’d love to have to eat my hat for being wrong, though…)

Hard to believe: 10 weeks passed since 1.04.10 came out which introduced the problem  … and no reaction, no official comment whether this will be fixed and when this will be fixed. One of the core functions of the box is broken and nobody really cares. Perhaps we all should do appropriate ratings in new reviews for the box at pages like amazon, etc.

i,l found some answers regarding update 1.04.17 , sorry for my english now and then  i,m a dutch guy .

and i,am new on this community.

i have for several weeks contact with WD technicians themselfs, but they have not foun the anwers yet.

they ask to set my findings her on the community , below you wil find copy of the email traffic with wd

and a solution for now for the video_ts vob files .

you must read this from bottom  to top is copy of e-mail

the link to forum where the solution is for account pasword problem (you tube) see cmberry

imgburn.com ( freeware) create image files from folder is the option you need (video_ts folder)

i hope you girls and guy,s  you find this usefull i hope  greetings

update firmware wdtvhdlive to 1.04.10_V problems

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email [deleted]

02/08/2011 01:26 AM

[Edited]

Customer By Email (Jan B )

02/08/2011 12:57 AM

hello again

I have done like video on you tube says and it works(i send you in former mail)

However when you downgrade it won't, it denies you acces to your disc

And aks for accountname and password ,i,ve tried everything

With network connected and disconnected,it wont work ,if you downgrade to 1.03.49

It won,t find the files and prompted to accountname and pasword .

The problem after replacement of the player with the new firmware 1.04.17 stil exists.

Now after further investigation on the net and forum, i came til conclusion that everthing is working

Fine, BUT videofiles (VTS) wont work they stil have problems (stuttering and freezes images)

But when i rebuild the map video_ts with the free program imgburn then the movie play,s

Perfect with dts or dolby without a single stutter or clitch,

So I think the is yet a minor problem with the codec transfer with video files in this latest update.

Hopefully I have you give enough information about the problems we counter at fora,

Mayby a little upgrade wil do the trick .

Regards jan

02/05/2011 02:57 PM

i found the answer regarding pasword account name here

See movie you tube at the end i found out that de root disc even

Could be shared whithout password after i done what in the movie was told

Maybe a tip for newer manual see link below

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1207482

02/04/2011 12:14 PM

i just countered a other problem

It stil gives wrong accountname or paswoord

The first time i got the device it says submit with name and password

Now after not be able to login it says ( ok) when i confirm

I,vet ried everything new password reset the device inside the settings and throuhg

The little reset button but nothing helps in my pc nothing changed

But it is strange that teh first time you get submit button 1 installation and then you get

The ok button even after reset in and out the box .

Please help me out fort his ,

I am connected trough the network gigalnrouter pc its works always

And second why is there a pasword required fort his thing

Leave the password out of the device

==================== image File Attachment ====================

Whats the status of the Vob issue?

Has anyone talked directly to WDC about the VOB stuttering bug?  I talked to a woman in tech support.  English wasn’t her first language.  It took me a while to explain it to her.  She put me on hold, asked someone and said, yes we know that is a bug.  But there was no date for a fix.  Why has it taken months for them to fix this?  Anybody have any updates from WDC?  I am seriously considering taking my two WDTV Live Plus’s back to Frys and getting a refund.  This is unacceptable.  What a POS.  I should have bought the competitor product.

We have heard on this board that the WD engineers are aware of the problem and are working on it. That is all they can tell us right now. Some people do not experience this problem at all, and I am guessing that the test setup that WD uses to validate firmware releases does not have this issue. The engineers first have to duplicate the issue before they can fix it. I am guessing that that is why it is taking longer than we would like.

For most users rolling back the firmware to 1.03.49 fixes this issue.

• BUMP -

I can’t believe this still isn’t fixed.

This issue has been addressed in the 1.04.31_V firmware that was released today.

Raphael_C wrote:

This issue has been addressed in the 1.04.31_V firmware that was released today.

As usual…they fix one problem and introduce new problems!

Hi,

I’ve just updated to the new firmware 1.04.31_V, but still have the stuttering VOB problem. To recap:

a] ripped DVDs (ripped with DVD Fab 7) stutter

b] if I convert the VIDEO_TS folder to an ISO with Imgburn, there’s no problem

c] DVDs I have made myself do not stutter

Has the updated fixed the problem for anyone else? I don’t want to have to convert all my ripped DVDs into ISOs…

M

I just used this feature for the first time. I ugraded the firmware and tried streaming a movie and  the movie would play for a little while then shutter. Theirs a point in the movie it would stop playing from and go back to the main menu. I was hoping to place all my movie on hardrive to elinate all the DVD’s in my livingroom and have instant acess but it doesnt work properly. I am currently in the process of transfering them to a WD external AV drive and seeing if this still has the safe effect.

Just gunna bump this to include it as occurring in the latest revision also.

sewercyde,I think that you are having a different problem because virtually no one else has reported this issue with the new firmware. I had the VOB stuttering problem, but it is gone with the newer firmwares.

Try resetting your WD, and try power cycling your box the next time that this happens.

I went the rollback to version 1.03.49 solution as suggested by yourself at

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Network-streaming-problems-with-WDTVLIVE-Jerking/td-p/152500

(apologies…no idea why link fails when clicked)

After doing so I get no choppy video.

I will give 1.05.04 another try using the “press play on the video_ts folder” solution I have seen elsewhere, but if that fails I’ll roll back to 1.03.49 again.

Using the “press play button on the video_ts folder” (as opposed to selecting the first vob of that folder)  works a treat under 1.05.04. Problem solved.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware and I still have the VIDEO_TS stutter problem.  It only happens if the VIDEO_TS resides on a Windows XP network share.  Playing the VOB by pressing play on the VIDEO_TS folder does NOT stutter, but of course there is no menu navigation either.  Going into the VIDEO_TS folder and pressing play or enter anywhere DOES stutter.

If I copy the same VIDEO_TS folder to a USB drive, or a Linux server, it plays fine in both modes - menu and non-menu.

It’s only when using Windows XP.  Of course, for various reasons, I really would like to have my Western Digital 2TB drive full of VIDEO_TS folders hooked up to my XP box!

Nothing else (AVI, MKV, MP4) stutters, even from the XP machine.

Edited to add: Everything is connected via wired ethernet.  No wireless.

Edited (again!) to add: I downgraded to 1.03.49B and now VIDEO_TS plays perfectly with menus from XP file share.