BUG Confirmed 1.04.17V - VOB stutter over network

No change from 1.04.10V.  VOB files over a WIRED network still stutter.  Tried Factory and Hard reset.  This feature works great on 1.03.49V.

Playing Video files is a core product feature that must be fixed ASAP.  I have 2 devices and am continuing to lose confidence in WD rapidly with each version of the firmware introducing or not fixing CORE FEATURES of the device like playing videos, music and pics over a network.

More info on the bug can be found here:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Firmware-BUG-Confirmed-V1-04-10-MKV-files-network-share/td-p/94758

1 Like

I was just about to upgrade, but you saved me the trouble of upgrading and than downgrading, thanks.

What a disappointment.

This is a MEDIA PLAYER for crying out loud! WD FIX playing media under all circumstances FIRST. Than ad features if you really need to. I couldn’t care less for Flingo, Deezer, Facebook and all that ■■■■.

Still on 1.03.42 which is not as good as 1.02.21, but gives me proper DVD playback.

mrkeeling wrote:

WD FIX playing media under all circumstances FIRST. Than ad features if you really need to. I couldn’t care less for Flingo, Deezer, Facebook and all that ■■■■.

This is what I hope WD understands beyond everything else!  Make this thing work as a NETWORK media player first and foremost.

Did some testing and here is what I found.

If you try and play a VOB directly (i.e. navigate into a VIDEO_TS folder, select a VOB and then press play/enter) then yes it is indeed slow and jerky.

However, if you press play on the VIDEO_TS folder then the video plays just fine. Now for me this is not a big issue because most of my DVDs are ISOs so I don’t see the problem. The few that are seperated into AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders I will probably just recode into an ISO. Who wants to do the extra button press to get into to the VIDEO_TS folder and select a specific VOB, and yes I am lazy.

Either way there is an easy work-around  and I don’t see it as anything more than a minor inconvenience.

I have a live plus and the bug/fix is the same, but the option to get to the dvd menus is not available when hitting play on the video folder (and then hiting option-it lists other items but not menu). The menu is important to me when watching tv shows on dvd…it allows me to make sure im watching the right episode

Metalunna wrote:
I have a live plus and the bug/fix is the same, but the option to get to the dvd menus is not available when hitting play on the video folder (and then hiting option-it lists other items but not menu). The menu is important to me when watching tv shows on dvd…it allows me to make sure im watching the right episode

If the DVD is split into individual VOB files in a VIDEO_TS directory then I have not found a way to play the menu.

However, if it is in an ISO then it works by pressing ENTER when the ISO file is selected.

Metalunna wrote:

Try entering the VIDEO_TS folder and pressing OK or play on one of the vobs.

I have had the stutter problem since  1.03.49.   All upgrades since have stuttered on the VOB files.   Seeing as though all my DVD’s are stored as VOBs, this is a huge problem for me.    I’ve tried each successve upgrade… and had to go back to 1.03.49. 

Please help… clearly an issue in the firmware.

richUK wrote:

Metalunna wrote:

No, just tried it and it does not work. You get get the VOB stuttering/jerky playback problem.

The only way it works is using ENTER/PLAY from the VIDEO_TS directory.

Does not worry me though because I usually use MP4s, sometimes ISOs. Much more success with these fiormats.

parnott100 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Metalunna wrote:

No, just tried it and it does not work. You get get the VOB stuttering/jerky playback problem.

My answer was referring to DVD menus not the stuttering.

1.03.29 stutters as well.    3.49 is the only one that seems to work consistently.

I too have this issue (as does my brother-in-law who has the same product).  I simply cannot understand why this issue isn’t a priority…this problem has existed for the last two, or more, firmware updates.

Isn’t playing VOBs one of the core componments of WD TV Live?

Come on WD, get your act together.

Lee

delta12 wrote:

Isn’t playing VOBs one of the core componments of WD TV Live?

Come on WD, get your act together.

Lee

Yes, I am still seeing this problem too. I posted about it here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Same-problems-persist-with-1-04-17/td-p/109462

I have to agree with you! Anything that calls itself a media player should be able to play a DVD (VOB files). I am very disappointed that virtually none of the many issues that were discussed in the large firmware threads (for 1.04.10) have been fixed.

Has anyone found a solution to the VOB stutter over wired network?  I’ve tried every combination of install and reset/restart that I could think of.

Having re-read the release notes, I think the focus of this update was only Internet plugins, keyboards and Playon (even though Playon fix was not stated in Release Notes).

Bill_S, as you can see from the many threads stating that core media file play functionality is broken on this device, I think some type of update as to the status of the next firmware is warranted.

Nehptis wrote:

Has anyone found a solution to the VOB stutter over wired network?  I’ve tried every combination of install and reset/restart that I could think of.

Having re-read the release notes, I think the focus of this update was only Internet plugins, keyboards and Playon (even though Playon fix was not stated in Release Notes).

Bill_S, as you can see from the many threads stating that core media file play functionality is broken on this device, I think some type of update as to the status of the next firmware is warranted.

Yes. Go and read my previous posts in this thread.

Well, at least it does not seem to be a general problem.

I’m using the component 576p YUV video output with digital audio (without HDMI). NAS is a synology 107+ connected via gigabit switch. Tried to reproduce the problem now several times with several original DVDs I encoded 1:1 using DVDShrink and DVDFab for these tests … and I can’t.

Perhaps. those having the problem should find out what are the common circumstances?

JimKnopf wrote:

Tried to reproduce the problem now several times with several original DVDs I encoded 1:1 using DVDShrink and DVDFab for these tests … and I can’t.

Perhaps. those having the problem should find out what are the common circumstances?

I’ve been thinking it’s a rip issue, as well.

Not one of the VIDEO_TS folders I’ve tested (or have made to test with) has had the issue that plagues so many.

Then I tried making a DVD from scratch using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.  The VIDEO_TS folder _ does _ have the stuttering playback that others report.

Anything built to DVD standards should be built to DVD standards, but it’s looking like some encoders/rippers either add, or leave out, some information which confuses the WDTV even though that information doesn’t truly affect playback.

So now, the question is, which is broken?  Encoders like ConvertX and TMPGEnc Authoring Works? Or the WDTV?  Since the WDTV will play DVDShrink- and DVDFab-ripped files.

It might be time to start reading .IFO files and see what’s different between one that will play properly and one that won’t.

I’ve taken a few ISOs created using DVDFab apart and they sometimes choke.   The source ISOs don’t.  So, there’s something specific to the FILE LAYOUT (might be a buffering thing) that it doesn’t like, not the CONTENTS of the files.

I use the latest version of DVDFab for all of my rips and I am having the VOB stuttering problem with files in the VIDEO_TS directory. I tried re-encoding using the exact same files from the VIDEO_TS directory (that have the stuttering problem) to ISO, and the ISO plays back fine. I have done this with 3 different movies. The VOBs stutter, but the ISO plays fine (same problem with 1.04.10).

I wrote this in a different thread:

If you select the VIDEO_TS folder, then select ‘play’ or ‘enter’, DVD menu navigation works, but the video stuttering and audio dropout problem is there, just like it was in the last release. However, if you press ‘play’ on the VIDEO_TS folder, then the video plays OK (no stuttering), but DVD navigation does not work at all (you can’t select ‘Menu’ in the Options menu). So you can either have stuttering with full DVD navigation, or no stuttering but no DVD navigation. Neither one is acceptable!

Are those of you that don’t see the stuttering able to have DVD navigation and no stuttering? Are you doing the same thing that I described in the previous paragraph?

EDIT: I should also mention that there is no stuttering at all when I downgrade to 1.03.49. BTW, I am using wireless.

RoofingGuy wrote:

I’ve been thinking it’s a rip issue, as well.

So now, the question is, which is broken?  Encoders like ConvertX and TMPGEnc Authoring Works? Or the WDTV?  Since the WDTV will play DVDShrink- and DVDFab-ripped files.

Good thinking Batman!  :-)  …If I’m honest, it didn’t occur to me that this could be a rip issue.  Anyway, the point is, is that the media players didn’t have this particular problem until the firmware was updated.

Anyway, you say “Since the WDTV will play DVDShrink- and DVDFab-ripped files.”.

I have only ever used DVDFab to rip DVD’s and I ‘do’ suffer from the stuttering .VOB over a network issue!  Are you saying that, in your case, the WDTV is playing DVDFab-ripped files successfully?  Or, are you saying that it isn’t working?  Or, are you saying that it ‘ought’ to work?  …sorry, I got lost!  :slight_smile:

Whatever the problem, I find it somewhat bizarre that…

a) This issue hasn’t had a higher profile on the forums (ie. its had less an 20 posts),

b) This issue hasn’t been dealt with as a matter of urgency.

Lee