Bricked?

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 1TB Live hub.  I was in the process of updating the firmware, when wouldn’t you know it, I had a power failure.

Now all I get when I turn the live hub on is a screen saying ‘Insert a USB drive with Firmware to recover your live hub’

Problem is - Ive done that.  The fw update gets to 1% and hangs.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, aside from this particular problem, the hub itself has been great - no performance issues at all…

Now if only I can get it to work again…

IF you were using WD firmware, I’d return it to the shop.

If you were using custom firmware, well, the Live Hub doesn’t like that and you would have invalidated your warranty.

nope - was definitely WD firmware…  specifically from http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

which is a little annoying.  Problem is, it was purchased online through amazon.

Sounds like you oughta call WD Tech Support.   They will probably RMA your Hub.

Strangely - When i DO put a USB drive in to recover the hub - it stalls at 1% (1/2)

So im not sure why it isnt dragging the firmware from the USB drive.  :expressionless:

You might try…

… an older version of firmware 

… using a different USB stick with NOTHING on it except firmware…

Yeah, tried both of those -

Had tried 3 different USBdrives, amking sure the applicable files are in the root folder of the drive.

Tried the current f/w and the previous 2 releases also.

Also tried a reset.

Might give WD TS a call about it.

pete_bar wrote:

Yeah, tried both of those -

Had tried 3 different USBdrives, amking sure the applicable files are in the root folder of the drive.

Tried the current f/w and the previous 2 releases also.

Also tried a reset.

Might give WD TS a call about it.

You’ve tried mostly everything already… Were all 3 USB drives hard drives, or flash disks? If so try the other kind… most likely won’t work but it’s worth a shot… I’m assuming you’ve tried both USB slots? How are your drives formatted? Try formmatting one different ways- FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ and see if that makes a difference… if none of the above works, RMAing the drive sounds like your best bet. If you have a credit card (for an Advanced RMA), you can have a replacement in less than a week.

Looks like someone else had the same issue and tried my above suggestion of reformatting and it did help him…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Bricked-Fixed/m-p/270010/highlight/false#M14184

Hi all,

Tried those suggestions too.  :frowning:

Reformatted flash drive to Fat32, and the fw update gets to 1% then hangs.  Tried different ports and drives,  all without success.

Just a quick point though, from memory - the firmware updates should be rather speedy - IE they shouldnt take more than a few minutes yeah?

My last update took about 10-15 minutes and that was via internet. Seems to me it did sit at 1-2% for a while then it took off.