Anti-virus essentials not updating

I’m having some issues getting anti-virus essentials to update on my PR4100. I’ve been getting the “Update failed. The online database is not available. Please try again later.” message on the MyCloud web admin. I did some digging via ssh, ran freshclam and noted the following:

ClamAV update process started at Wed Feb 16 17:01:41 2022
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.4 Recommended version: 0.103.5

Looking at the clamav support matrix, it reads as if the version 0.102 which the latest WD package (1.38) is based on, maybe EOL and you can’t get updates. Judging by the 403’s in clamav’s command line output trying to get cdiff and daily.cvd, that might be the case e.g.:

Time: 0.1s, ETA: 0.0s [=============================>] 16B/16B
WARNING: downloadFile: Unexpected response (403) from https://database.clamav.net/daily-26436.cdiff
WARNING: getpatch: Can’t download daily-26436.cdiff from https://database.clamav.net/daily-26436.cdiff

I don’t think I’ve got any network issues between the NAS at the clam servers, but will double check.

Anyone else getting the same issue? Any news on a new build of AV essentials from WD?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue. Been having it since I upgraded the firmware to 5.20.113. I can download the updates from my computer just fine using the currently supported version of ClamAV. Only the NAS is impacted on my network.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue and timing as kkincaidshoaf
Wondering if another firmware update is in the offing to resolve this?

1 Like

Experiencing same with MyCloud EX2 Ultra following the 5.20.113 upgrade. (Anti-Virus Essentials 1.38).

2 Likes

I raised a support ticket and so far, the suggestions presented to me have not fixed the issue. In no particular order - uninstall and re-install AV essentials (that made it worse!), trying this support item:

My Cloud OS 5: Anti-Virus Essentials Database Update Remains at 99% - that didn’t work

Also had the request to try a reset - My Cloud OS 3: Pin Reset & System Only Restore a PR4100 - which if I’m honest, I’m reluctant to do, I don’t think will fix the issue and cause me more issue. I provided WD support with log files and they don’t seem to except they are running an out dated version of ClamAV that won’t update as per EOL notice about the version WD are running. WD just don’t seem to take security seriously in my view.

1 Like

Wow, that is quite sad. Guess my next NAS will be a QNAP or Synology. I did all of the advanced troubleshooting I could while SSH’d into the box. None of it worked. Seeing other people having the same issue, this is definitely a WD issue. They need to upgrade to a newer version of antivirus.

This is the link I found about product versions, EOL etc with ClamAV. I appreciate, I might have read it incorrectly, but all evidence I’m seeing when ssh’d into the NAS, is the version is out of date and can’t receive any updates.

More than happy to be corrected or hear other people’s views. Must be more people reporting this non-update problem as an issue now?

1 Like

I have a similar problem with Anti-Virus Essentials not updating, but may be different.

I upgraded my AT&T internet service from U-Verse to AT&T Fiber high speed, which the U-verse router was upgraded to Arris BGW210-700 gateway router. I have 2 WD MyCloud PR2100 and 1 WD MyCloud PR4100 NAS servers. All of my MyCloud NAS servers have OS5, including PLEX media server and Anti-Virus Essentials (ClamAV) software. For PLEX, I needed to add a Firewall NAT/Gaming service entry for port 32400 protocol TCP to allow my family and friends to remotely access PLEX.

The problem I have also relates to ClamAV. With MyCloud OS5 version 5.20.113 included Anti-Virus Essentials 1.38. ClamAV installed successfully, however for whatever reason ClamAV is unable to update its Virus Definition Database. During my many hours of research on WD support forums and AT&T support forums I discovered that the AT&T gateway routers do not support UPnP based upon a security exposure.

I receive the following message when I ssh into the PR2100 & PR4100 and issue “freshclam”:

ClamAV update process started at Fri Feb 25 12:22:21 2022
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.102.4 Recommended version: 0.103.5
*WARNING: downloadFile: Unexpected response (403) from https://database.clamav.net/daily-26019.cdiff

I suspect this may be related to UPnP not being enabled on the gateway router. If this is true, then I would need to provide the ports into my gateway router to allow ClamAV to update. I have not been successful in identifying the ports for ClamAV version 1.38. Does anyone know what these ports are?

1 Like

Same here. Current referred tickets did not solve the issue. Now they asked for the S/N number and firmware status, as if I would troll them.

Best thing is: I installed ClamAV via docker and ran the update w/o problems. The bad thing is, that the docker version does not offer a user friendly GUI, and I am not too much into scripting on Linux level. But the basic result: update is working through FireWall and AdGuard Home w/o issues. So it must be something with the version offered in the “App Store”.

Will follow this thread with interest.

2 Likes

The latest reply I had from WD support was laughable. They suggested I contact ClamAV to check on the versions/compatibility etc. I won’t publish my response, but it was pretty short and too the point - it’s your problem WD I believe, not mine to chase software vendors you have chosen to package up in your products.

2 Likes

This is what I got today:

Dear ……

Thank you for your reply.

Please allow me to inform you that we have escalated this issue to our engineering department for further review, analysis and issue duplication. Any fix would come in the form of an over the air device application, software or firmware update. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a schedule as to when a release will occur.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Still not very helpful, so I will have to manually copy the files from ClamAV to the NAS on a regular basis.

Let’s see

2 Likes

They asked me for my log files and some extra info, which has been sent over. Let’s see what this brings. Anything other than a new AV install package will be a wasted of time.

1 Like

I got the same response this morning as FarAway1971, so finally an acknowledgement there is an issue.

1 Like

I am also having the exact same issues with my PR4100 and AV. I am very interested if WD will resolve this and look forward to a response.

1 Like

Same issue here - opened a support ticket with WD and received a canned response which does not work

1 Like

Anyone a good hint on an alternative solution with a proper GUI instead of scripts? I mean technically I can download and copy/paste the latest file forever, but the lazy ass in me wants to find a sneakier way to get rid of the (current) POS of software.

Or would anyone happen to know not only IF WD is providing a fix, but also WHEN?

Appreciate your hints and input

1 Like

No indication of when an update was forthcoming last time we spoke.

1 Like

I was looking into trying to installing ClamAV manually on the NAS. Unfortunately I just don’t have the time to dedicate to figuring out an upgrade path. I tried an external scanner with a GUI and it took days to process all the data on my WD NAS. I reached out to McAfee to see if their Enterprise CommandLine Scanner can do any better. I use it at work for Windows based scans but havent tried their Linux version yet.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue, who knows the solution kindly assist.

1 Like

https://downloads.mycloud.com/os5-apps/apps/GZA/GZA_MyCloudEX2Ultra/clamAV/MyCloudEX2Ultra_clamAV_1.39.bin

https://downloads.mycloud.com/os5-apps/apps/GZA/GZA_MyCloudPR4100/clamAV/MyCloudPR4100_clamAV_1.39.bin

https://downloads.mycloud.com/os5-apps/apps/GZA/GZA_MyCloudPR2100/clamAV/MyCloudPR2100_clamAV_1.39.bin