Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

@Fox_exe
@Alonia

So, how are you processing? I was hoping for a dsm fix or a new version :innocent:

I want to believe!

I stopped developing DSM because i sold all my WDMyCloud devices (I was simply tired of them).
So - no more updates from me.

All sources and information available on my website and GoogleDrive folder. So if someone want to continue my experiments - I provide all what need for this.

@Fox_exe, I am tired of mine too…

I’ve installed the Debian Jessie firmware and now Transmission downloads 3 times slower than before with standard firmaware.
Any ideas?

@Fox_exe Thanks for DSM, you have saved a lot of work for me as the WD OS is not strong enough. But I am facing an issue and I had to reset the device 3 times,

The Issue.
The Device boot properly and works good, but after 1 day(over nights) when i open the web login page i get a blank page witch some javscript error on debug console screenshot:

Other than that the drive folders are assessable from windows explorer Screenshot

Device I am using
WD Mycloud EX2 Ultra with WD Red
OS: DSM-wdmc-mirror-gen2-8451(made by you, thanks a lot for this)
Please reply as soon as you can waiting for a response

@Rand I am unable to go through the complete thread, but i am facing the same issue on my WD EX2 ultra, No UI after 1 day or over night

Known issue: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/original_libs/

Thanks for issue but i am unable to follow the fix,

1. Device will boot to DSM installer), : Done
  2. connect via telnet, not sure what is this
  3. plugin HDD’s back. Done
  4. Mount Rootfs, How to do it?
  5. replace libs, : where and which files
  6. reboot.

really appreciate your work, look forward to response.

Stuck here

unmount → umount

@Fox_exe
Thanks for quick response, I was able to connect to telnet using putty reached the location /usr/lib but unable to use unmount of replace file via putty, and filezilla does not connect to root folder, sorry for this small questions but i am a newbie with all this, really appreciate if you could help me with bit detailed steps, thanks in advance.

Hi Fox_exe,

too bad that you gave up on “WD Alternative Firmware”. Hope you can help me anyway. I have the Debian app installed, but when I try to upgrade to DebianStretch I get the dbus package error: “script returned error exit status 127”. So my first question is there an easy way to upgrade to DebianStertch. And my second question is how to bind directories to the chroot on bootup, because fstab changes in WD firmware and also in the chroot environment will be ignored.

@Q-Fireball, try apt hold dbus and run upgrade.
For add startup commands - edit /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Progs/debian/start.sh (and stop.sh).

• Use [Tab] for auto-complete path when type in console.

Thank you very much!

Hi Fox_exe, i want to install DSM 6 on my WD Cloud Gen1. Any Build for DSM 6 with the Gen1 available?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
reboot -f

I make a stupid mistake by typing mtdblock0 instead of mtdblock1, any way to bring it back to life?

What happend?
mtd blok 0 is “read-only” by default. Its not possible to overwrite this partition. (Its a Uboot / bootloader)

Nope. Only DSM5. I stop developing DSM6.
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Synology_DSM/

That’s what I thought. But after I reboot it, the LED turn to purple right away. It’s purple, not blue nor red, and it’s doing nothing, just solid purple. It looks like the UBoot is damaged. I don’t nothing about how to recover a UBoot.

@Fox_exe apologies if this has already been covered, but these threads get so long and are difficult to traverse with their paging…I installed DSM5 on my gen1 WDMC. Works relatively well, but crashes at least weekly (I think it is related to [319998.660131] BUG: Bad page state in process swapper/0 pfn:02686, but I cannot say for sure).

In any case, what I am looking for is how I might instead try out OpenMediaVault. Do I have to rollback to the original firmware, then update, or can I switch to OMV from DSM directly? If so, are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks.

Hey there,

after installing DSM6 on my WD Mycloud Mirror the leds are solid blue and i just get an blank homepage and can’t log in…
ssh & telnet are refusing my connection attempts…

any ideas?

thanks

I just bought a EX2 Ultra. Followed the guide to install DSM6. Everything was working fine for about a day. Played around with it a bit. Installed some apps and put some files on it. Tonight the web gui started throwing out several connection errors. Now I can’t bring up the web gui, or even use SSH anymore.