Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

ok, i tried it but i can not write to md0 right now “dd: failed to open ‘/dev/mtd0’: Permission denied”.

i’m also interested if there is already a chance to control the fan of the wdmcmg2? …spindown would be also a topic for me. Do you have any information on that?

@Fox_exe …i’m still not able to write to mtd0 :-/

Oh. sorry, this for for Gen2 with one disk.

For other devices - just put you MAC address in /etc/network/interfaces like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hwaddress ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

i already done this a few days ago. i just asked me why to write that on to a disk and read it again for setup when i can also write it directly down to interfaces :wink:

for automatic fan control i decided to us mcm-deamon (https://github.com/cschil/mcm-deamon). it’s working just fine.

…one thing that is not working till now is spinning down the disks…

i decided to use hd-idle, because hdparm isn’t working like i would expect it. with hdparm the disks are spinning down and up again immediatly when i want to spin them down manually. with hd-idle it’s working…

i’ve setup log2ram, i run samba in tmpfs and also journald is running in persistent mode that everything got written to /var/log (tmpfs). i have dissabled “system health” logging in OMV…

but there are still some processes writing or reading permanently from disks in short intervals, so there is not enough time without reads/writes for spindown…