Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

@Fox_exe …i’m still not able to write to mtd0 :-/

Oh. sorry, this for for Gen2 with one disk.

For other devices - just put you MAC address in /etc/network/interfaces like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hwaddress ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

i already done this a few days ago. i just asked me why to write that on to a disk and read it again for setup when i can also write it directly down to interfaces :wink:

for automatic fan control i decided to us mcm-deamon (GitHub - cschil/mcm-deamon: Deamon for control the Weltrend MCU in a MyCloudMirror gen2 and Ex2 ultra). it’s working just fine.

…one thing that is not working till now is spinning down the disks…

i decided to use hd-idle, because hdparm isn’t working like i would expect it. with hdparm the disks are spinning down and up again immediatly when i want to spin them down manually. with hd-idle it’s working…

i’ve setup log2ram, i run samba in tmpfs and also journald is running in persistent mode that everything got written to /var/log (tmpfs). i have dissabled “system health” logging in OMV…

but there are still some processes writing or reading permanently from disks in short intervals, so there is not enough time without reads/writes for spindown…

I think i fugged up my WD Mirror Gen 2, i´ve read a lot of text here, but wasn´t able to get back to WD Firmware.
Only the WDSM 6.0 Login Window shows up.
Tried format my HDD with Linux, ended in DSM, uImage uRamdisk on USB want to create a new HDD for DSM
Cant login, DSM says IP Blocked for false Login (tried to often), and lost my login name and pw
Pls help *and yes, English isn´t my language :slight_smile:

EDIT: Now i´b back into DSM but how can i now go back, there are so many howto´s

Hi everyone, it’s been a long time since 6.0 version of DSM was launched. Now with 6.2 on the market, any plans to release a .pat file for our WD NAS. I know it’s a time consuming process to convert synology system file to our hardware, but still today I see more pros than OMV.

1 Like

The Mycloud has some problems with DSM (Synology) / corrupted lib files
I‘m really confused but I try to fix it :smiley:

I try to reverse and edit the newest software (DSM 6.2.x) (DS216) but I don‘t know how to edit the checksum and the hda1.tgz

@Fox_exe
If you see this post, pls send me an pm :slight_smile:
Have a lot of time.

Hello @AirPain
Run that command as root (sudo su) via telnet

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1

than

reboot

After reboot you can access to “WD Recovery” web. (Look for your device IP in your Router)

@Alonia check this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/Dev/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2.tar.xz

@Fox_exe
I get Error 13 / need more information to compile the .pat file correctly.

@Fox_exe
Kernel build error

root@ubuntu://home/alonia/Downloads/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2# bash helpmebuild.sh kernel
make: /home/fox/cc-armada380/bin/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
In file included from scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c:2503:0:
scripts/kconfig/menu.c: In function ‘get_symbol_str’:
scripts/kconfig/menu.c:567:18: warning: ‘jump’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
jump->offset = r->len - 1;
^
scripts/kconfig/menu.c:528:19: note: ‘jump’ was declared here
struct jump_key *jump;
^
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig

*** Configuration file “.config” not found!

*** Please run some configurator (e.g. “make oldconfig” or
*** “make menuconfig” or “make xconfig”).

/home/alonia/Downloads/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2/kernel/scripts/kconfig/Makefile:36: recipe for target ‘silentoldconfig’ failed
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
/home/alonia/Downloads/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2/kernel/Makefile:504: recipe for target ‘silentoldconfig’ failed
make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make: *** No rule to make target ‘include/config/auto.conf’, needed by ‘include/config/kernel.release’. Stop.
root@ubuntu://home/alonia/Downloads/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2#

Hmm… I forgot changing this to autodetect… Change in helpmebuild.sh (somethere in header)

Hi Foxfan, thanks for the post. I’m trying to set the drives to spin down on a Mirror Gen-1 but I’m failing at the first hurdle. (I currently have RAID 0).

My nano /etc/fstab:

# Default mounts
/dev/md1        /       ext4    rw,noauto       0       1
proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults,gid5,mode=620  0       0
tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   mode=0777       0       0
tmpfs   /tmp    tmpfs   mode=1777       0       0
tmpfs   /run    tmpfs   mode=0755,nosuid,nodev  0       0
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   defaults        0       0

# Add swap
/dev/md0        swap    swap    defaults        0       0
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0
# >>> [openmediavault]
/dev/disk/by-id/md-name-_none_:2 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-_none_-2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
# <<< [openmediavault]

From, this, I do not know what would be the root and data partition. Do you have any pointers?

Thanks, Moose

# Default mounts
/dev/md1        /       ext4    rw,noatime,nodiratime,commit=60,noauto  0       1
proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults,gid5,mode=620  0       0
tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   mode=0777       0       0
tmpfs   /tmp    tmpfs   mode=1777       0       0
tmpfs   /run    tmpfs   mode=0755,nosuid,nodev  0       0
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   defaults        0       0

# Add swap
/dev/md0        swap    swap    defaults        0       0
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0
# >>> [openmediavault]
/dev/disk/by-id/md-name-_none_:2 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-_none_-2 ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=60,nofail,user_xatt$
# <<< [openmediavault]

I’ve add them to the /dev/md1 (since the rootfs is installed here) and the /dev/disk/by-id/md-name-none:2 since I used OMV to format the data for the SMB share. Since this is where the data is going to be, I’ve assume this is correct.

Frustratingly, I’ve managed to complete every other step but I’ve never really been able to understand how the etc/fstab should be formatted. Any help will be appreciated.

Hey, this should be correct. Although you could test it without modifying the fstab file first. If you followed all the steps and the HDDs still don’t spin down, then you can modify the fstab file. The most important part is that all log files are temporarily moved to RAM and after a specific duration are written back to the HDD. Following my steps should do that, unfortunately I had the MCM 2nd Gen and I don’t know if there are any differences between Debian for 1st gen and 2nd gen made by fox-exe.
Greets and good luck :wink:

P.S.: Although the hard drives did sleep for hours, I turned the Feature off because the power for the hard drives isn’t really expensive and the hard drive’s motor isn’t stressed by the constant spin ups and downs over the days.

Thanks for your help FoxFan. I’ve not had any lucky on the Gen1. However, I managed to get this free so I thought it was worth a try. I thought your instructions maybe written for a newer model so I’ve also followed an older tutorial which seems out-of-date and I’ve not had much success with.

I bought an EX2 Ultra so I may fair better. I had everything setup and it failed but I think it was because I didn’t set up the fstab file correctly. I’ll give it another shot tomorrow.

I’ve also seen this:

USB shutdown button for WD My Cloud

which looks pretty cool. A usb based shutdown button for the WD. I’m hoping it will work with the Mirror and EX2 Ultra running Jessie and Stretch.

Hello,
Trying to convert a gen1 WD to DSM5, but on the HDD that I use I can’t create more than 4 primary partitions. The Swap partition is necessary ? The sd{x}7 partition is mandatory for DSM to function I suppose…

Thanks for any insights…

Fox, great work here! I gave new life to my old ex2 ultra with dsm and love it. Does anyone had any luck upgrading to 6.2?
Also, the fan isn´t cooling my second 8tb hdd. How can I increase the speed? Hope anyone can help with this issue, have been reading the thread but didn´t find something that could help.

Hi Fox_exe,

I’m hoping you can help me with the My Cloud Mirror Gen 1. I’ve searched through the documentation but cannot find an answer.

When running iptables -nv -L on jessie-debian 3.2.40, via debian-jessie.tar.xz

modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.

iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

So, I then tried to update the kernel

cd /tmp 
wget http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Developing/Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz tar xvzf Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz -C /
cd / 
dd if=/uImage of=/dev/sda5
depmod -a 3.2.68
reboot

and realised this was for a MyCloud Gen 1. I didn’t know if I could flash the kernel dd if=/uImage of=/dev/sda5 by using the following Mirror uImage location of dd if=/uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1 since they are different devices.

Then I explored the gen 1 folder and found: http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/Developing/kernel-3.10.x/

of which, I couldn’t find any instructions so had a look at the mirror gen 2 folder and found:

>> Use USB-Drive: Format it to FAT32, create folder named "boot" and upload inside uImage and uRamdisk
>> Plug USB-Drive to WDMC, power on. If boot success - upload kernel to internal flash:
cd /boot (Or any other folder, where placed uImage and uRamdisk)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1	# "No space" errors - normal.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock2
dd if=uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=uRamdisk of=/dev/mtdblock2

Can I upgrade to 3.2.68 by flashing as so: dd if=/uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1 or 3.10.x via the USB-Drive method? (using the dd if=uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1 and dd if=uRamdisk of=/dev/mtdblock2). If not - are there any other instructions I can follow? I’m using Jessie Debian and OMV, not DSM.

Thanks for your help,

Moose

Hmmm, sadly

dd if=/uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1

didn’t work. I’ll have a look through the recovery options :worried:.

Oh no, I think I’ve completely bricked it. I’ve tried the USB stick route (formatted with FAT32) and the Mirror Gen 1 recovery boot/ files but nothing. A flashing blue light and continuous hdd power on. I’ve tried power cycling while holding down the reset for different durations.

I’ve then found some debricking instructions for the Mirror gen2 and followed the guide via Ubuntu Live to make a fresh install and add boot files directly to the drive. No luck.

Is there a Mirror Gen 1 debricking guide? Is it best to follow the My Cloud Gen 1 guide instead of the Mirror Gen 2 guide. Has my writing to mtdblock1 destroyed all chance of recovery?

:confused: