Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

I just did the same thing. I tried the root password generator based on date, but it didn’t work.

I can get to the Telnet login, but password not working.

It connects to the Synology web assistant, but fails install (13).

Can’t refresh firmware without logging into it…

I removed the battery and pushed reset for 60 seconds. Hoping it would reset the date. No joy…
Anyone?

Known bug. Need replace these libs:
/usr/lib/libfileindex.so
/usr/lib/libsynopkg.so
/usr/lib/libsynoshare.so
/usr/lib/libsynostoragemgmt.so

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/original_libs/original_libs.tar.gz (DSM 6.0, Build 8451)

Thanks for the reply. It can be helpful someone else.

Simon

@Fox_exe Thanks for all the great work. I finally made my EX2 Ultra a usable device.

Running Debian 10 Buster with OMV5 now.

Only one thing that bugs me: In the thread it was mentioned that fancontrol would work.

Atm it seems my fan is always running at low. sensors-detect shows no sensor.

What am I missing?

Fan controlled by external MCU (Dedicated micro-CPU) by 2nd UART interface.
Here is a small tool, that allow you to control MCU by console commands.
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/Other/Weltrend_MCU/

Nice. Thanks for your quick reply. I’ll try that.

I got in thru telnet.

Login: root
Password: mycloud

deleted Synology file and rebooted into the WD safe mode. Thank GOD.

Once WD MyCloud was reinstalled. I updated the firmware to the wd to dsm and this time it took without issue. Installed 8451 and it was good.

I only played with it for about an hour and it was fine as a file server for home.

II prefer the WD MyCloud software in this model. I have a Synology 2415+. I tried it to play around.

To delete the DSM, reboot without any hdd’s installed.

Telnet into it using port 23. root / mycloud

follow instructions https://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/

Thank you Fox !!!

@Fox_exe I bought a Synology DS216se. If you need a shell to update binarys or anything let me know.

2 Likes

@brannonb, Thanks for the offer, but I don’t want to do something for these devices.
I will feel disgusting to WD products for the rest of my life…

@Fox_exe Hence me getting a diskstation… Thanks for your contribution. Ive spent hours using in some sort of way your code…What was really nice, I upgraded to a DS216se for about 50usd. Its a 2 bay similar to the wd mirror, just weak in memory and 32bit not 64, Back on topic, I swapped the drives running dsm right into the diskstation it treated the drives like a roaming raid, Updated to latest Dsm and that was it…

hi @Fox_exe i am trying to install omv on wd mirror gen1 i installed the file from gui everything went ok then but on reboot the hd remain color purple and i can’t connect via ssh, how do i connect with telnet?elp me?

ok now my situation is : led blu for hd ,led blu blink status led bat not ip in my router for ssh or access help me?

ok I managed to install everything, thanks for everything @Fox_exe

for those like me who is not practical I can summarize on the fly as I did:
following the guide of the points are:
1- download the necessary files from the @Fox_exe website
2 -install the .bin from the wd mirror gui
3 - once installed at boot the leds of the hd should flash
when this happens, press and release the reset button if all is well all the LEDs will be blue (if the HD LEDs remain fixed red restart the NAS and try again I took 5 attempts)
4-wait for the nas to be recognized by the router I don’t know how long it takes 30min could be a good time
5 - at this point connect with ssh to the nas and follow step by step the guide of @Fox_exe that you find on its site in the debian folder
6 - done all the steps you will only have to configure and you are with a completely new nas

PS: make a donation to @Fox_exe :slight_smile:

@Fox_exe thank you for all your efforts!
Do you think there will be a release of the newer DSM?
The ds218j appear to me pretty similar. Can be ported to the wd my cloud mirror gen 2?

@alessio83 Use PuTTY in Telnet mode for connecting to device.
Extract all disks for force recovery mode.
Note: Mac may change, so IP will be different in Rescue mode or first boot.

Hi @fox_exe,
I’ve downloaded your tools and tried to create a modified pat from the latest ds218j update.
I’ve modified the unique in /etc/synoinfo.conf to synology_armada38x_ds218j
unpacked the pat in the folder firmware
run all the steps to create the modified pat and used in the web interfaces. I get error 13. I suspect that are checked all the subfolders file.
I tried to run the update by commandaline, but exit immediately, i think with error -19.
updater is different, looks like an exe. instead in past was a simple script.
Any clue?

edit
my trial were performed with the DSM_DS218j_24922.pat
i suspect that the update process changed. Maybe can be manually performed?
tar xf hda1.tgz -C /tmpfs
rm /tmpfs/.noroot

then match uRamfs and hdd VERSION file and unique in synoinfo.conf

then
mv -f hda1.tgz /tmpfs/SynoUpgrade.tar.gz
mv -f indexdb.txz /tmpfs/SynoUpgradeIndexdb.txz
mv -f packages /tmpfs/SynoUpgradePackages
mv -f sas_fw_upgrade_tool /tmpfs/sas_fw_upgrade_tool
mv -f synohdpack_img.txz /tmpfs/SynoUpgradeSynohdpackImg.txz

I suspect these are the the steps to be performed.
Actually I get the error “Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.” connecting to the webinterface.

@rdelpopolo after upload .pat file, connect via Telnet and run this:
mkdir /tmpRoot
mount /dev/md0 /tmpRoot
cd
/tmpRoot/upd@te/updater -v /tmpRoot
reboot

Note: Need replace “updater” script in .pat file, because original updater trying to reflash firmware and bootloader on nand flash. Its can be dangerouse.

Thank you.
The old script may be missing some steps?
I get “Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.” connecting to the webinterface, then the device powers off.

Can you provide all the modification made in the dev package as a patch file?

I would like to make same trials obtaining an install running from usb, but i’m not skilled as you and I need some help. To me appear feasible. The only missing think would be the synobios?

Sorry if missing some think, and thank you for the really great quantity of time spent in studying this device!

Sorry for doing so much questions @Fox_exe i’m editing the dts adding the sata hard disk sensing but I cannot set the default-gpio in gpio mode trigger. It seems impossible to me :pensive:
Also, there is a way to map the same led to multiple trigger, to let the blue led manage both the sata sensing and the disk activity? May exist two gpio to manage the blue for both the situations? Do you know a way to test every gpio?

Thank you

edit
found how to test all the gpio. X is the tested gpio
echo X > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpioX/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpioX/value; sleep 1; echo 0 >/sys/class/gpio/gpioX/value; sleep 1

gpio 0 and 1, once exported freeze the box.
There is a gpio once exported causes the stop of working of the ethernet, but there isn’t any additional gpio controlling the led

@rdelpopolo I think i know what your errors are, its your kernel,config. I ran into same simialr issues, I am compiling latest DSM onto m EX2, If all goes well will be posting update…

Edit:

1 Like

@fox_exe
Good news, I managed to install the pat.
I’ve understood why the setup got stuck at 57% :grin:

Also why I got the error “Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.” and the reboot.

Now I need your help to compile a new kernel (3.10.105) and all the relevant thinks.
Maybe I can also correct the library corruption bug?

Hi,

I wanted to use the package HyperBackup Vault as destination for another original Synology NAS but as destination the WDMyCloud Mirror seems offline for the original HyperBack source.

Is the package (I only used the one which comes with your firmware (DSM) usable or should I don’t use it.

Thanks for your good work.