Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

Hi @all,

I use my “WD mycloud ex2 ultra” with Debian stretch and OMV 4.x.

Till of two things the System run perfect with all Plugins OOTB.

1. “shutdown -h now” does not shut off the hole system
  2. Fan can’t be configured - it run all the time with same speed.

My System:

cat /proc/version 
Linux version 4.15.0-rc6 (root@build-server) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu/Linaro    
5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4)) #2 SMP Mon Jan 8 13:13:42 +05 2018

cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
Hardware : Marvell Armada 380/385 (Device Tree)

I don’t have the “fan_control” tool from the original WD System, I think with this I can control my internal fan. If anyone can send me this file, I think this will help.
Otherwise I check " TREE_RCU-kconfig.txt" if this is the right way to control this, any other solution for this?

If more information is need give me some feedback.

thx for this great solution @Fox_exe

@w00dp3ck3r try this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/Other/Weltrend_MCU/

Thx, all open things are running now!

Very great solution!!!

I wanna say its usable…For now…

1 Like

I wanna say its usable…For now…

with the firmware from wd it is usable…with Debian and OMV …more as usable

I have a gen 1 mycloud 4tb.
I installed DSM on it, using the instructions in this thread.
Seems to be working except when I create an iscsi share it just says offline.

Is iSCSI suppsoed to work on dsm?
Is there a fix?
I don’t see any errors in the log, when creating the iscsi,
The lun appears to be created correctly,
Then the target can be created too, but after creating the target, the target says offline.

Hi Fox,
I am trying to build an Armbian for My Cloud gen2 (Armada 375) https://github.com/armbian/build, but it didn’t success.

Armbian officially support Helios4 which have similar SoC like wdmc gen2, and there is prebuild OS Image.
How can I run this image on wdmc gen2 ?
Thanks.

@wwwlenovo, you need to use our kernel and ramdisk.
Or use my dtb file for build your own kernel.
uBoot on our device not support params from armbianEnv.txt

But you still can use rootfs.
But why you need it? Armbian - is a same Debian (or ubuntu) but with custom repository for support some mini-pc’s (That you can add manually).

1 Like

Hello Fox,

now i managed to install DSM but is there a possibility to update it? With an other .pat file?

Thanks for this cool things

@SSH_Problems, nope. Need special .pat file (With our kernel/ramdisk and few “workarounds”)

And ist there a possibility top create this .Pat File ? How did you create this File?

Hi,

is it planed to build a new linux kernel for wd mycloud ex2 ultra.
If not, I have to build my own…is there some HowTo’s to do that.

hint: i want to install docker-ce

stay healthy to all

@Fox_exe Hello, I just started getting into this whole topic a few days ago. I read almost this entire article and felt engaged to try out the DSM6 file on my EX2 Ultra. I know that you said, there where issues with the kernel but I choosed to try it out. It worked very nice for about 24 hours but then crashed almost completely, I was able to use your guide to go back to the WD software and tried installing it again. It sadly crashed again 24 hours later. Bizzarely the file system was alright both times. The file sharing worked. I just couldn’t get back onto the webpage.

This time, the ssh and telnet weren’t activated for whatever reason, so i tried pulling out the HDDs and resetting with the button on the back. I managed to get back onto the DSM installation page but then made a dumb decision. I tried to install your “work in progress” DSM file and bricked the whole system. After several reset tries, it wouln’t even recieve an IP-adress from my dhcp-server.

I am seriously worried about the whole situation and decided to write this text. In hope you would read it and might write me back. Maby you have got some ideas to solve this stupidity of mine.

Best regards, Loreax

Hello Guys i flasht the Firmware-debian-linux-4.14.4.bin from fox on my ext2 ultra now i would go back to original fw. I Tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblk1 but nothing happens, i also tried to push the reset while booting. The System only boot in telnet or debian. If i go to the browser and add the ip nothing happens.

Fox told me to trie this command,
I tried it in telnet and ssh its the same result;

root@wdmc:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblk1
dd: writing to ‘/dev/mtdblk1’: No space left on device
20481+0 records in
20480+0 records out
10485760 bytes (10 MB, 10 MiB) copied, 0.0815535 s, 129 MB/s

I also tried this guide here;

My Cloud EX2 Ultra (same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 2)

1. Prepare a USB drive with files “uImage” and uRamdisk", download from;
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSWYxWDBtS2wwejA
    format USB fat32, place files in a folder you create named “boot” (I also placed copies of files outside the folder).
  2. With USB attached, depress the reset button with a tooth pick and apply power to the My Cloud
    Hold the reset button for forty seconds and then release.
  3. Locate the new IP address, I use “Advanced IP Scanner”.
    Browse to the new IP address, and the “Recovery Mode” WebIU will display
    Upload the correct firmware from Western Digital.
    After it reboots, scan for new IP address again and login by browser.

but only the telnet works, i used the this files;
http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Original/
is this correct?

now it works!!! i tried 2 option together !!

Hello me again,

i flashed my my cloud with synolgy and now i can not access the web-board with a desktop but only with the mobile version. Also sometime it just says “operation failed” without any hint what failed. I tried to enable ssh to go back to original but also this fails. Is there anything i can do?

Thanks

@SSH_Problems This situation happened to me aswell.

Did you find a solution?

Would it possible to install ubuntu server headless on the device and would it recognize it should use the hard drives to run? And if this should work (seen from the drivers) is it armhf or arm64. (I have a mycloud mirror gen2)

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Ubuntu/
CPU arch: arm-hf only.
Almost all functions works good, except for fant control (Possible to control via external script).

Yes i saw this but the problem is i have no ssh (telnet) access. So would it possible to just make this with the HDD. Would it boot from the HDD or the corrupted DSM on the flash?

Thanks for your support and your great project Fox