Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

You can put these files on USB and boot from it, then - replace kernel and ramdisk on internal flash chip.

OK, thanks but will it but from those? or will it boot from the internal flash?

Thanks anyway i’ll try it. Do I only need the rootf on the USB Stick or also kernel and ramdisk and where to place them?

I put the rootfx of the USB Stick and plugged in it still boot s in the DSM.

@SSH_Problems i remove the hdd, then insert usb and then insert hdd after reboot

This work for me

OK, nice that it worked for you. But like you described it did not worked. Could you explain some things to me thanks. How did you prepare the USB Stick? And at which time was the cloud booted?

Thanks anyway

@Fox_exe is der maybe a possibility to reset this hole thing without ssh access? The button in the behind? Because this problem with the web ui seems to be known at synology

Thanks

@SSH_Problems, nope. Button on back side works ONLY if device running with WD firmware and this firmware fully boot’ed.

I used this button for stop boot process and prepare HDD’s on WDMC Mirror Gen1 only (Ramdisk script).

@Fox_exe is it possible to use OSFMount and load WD Firmware, modify and unlink?

Edit: For those of you trying to re-flash wd firmware, if your getting stuck at 0% or server 500, do a 40 sec reset with a blank disk in bay 1, wait a minute and re-flash

Thank you for the idea. I’ll try it now. I am most nervous about the fact, that my WD NAS isn’t obtaining an IP-address anymore.

@Fox_exe

I want to install DSM on My WD Cloud EX4.
I don’t see any update for EX4, can I follow other devices such as EX2 or Mirror … seem to me it’s similar devices
:slight_smile:

I’m sorry to dissapoint you but DSM crashed after 24 hours on my EX2 Ultra. I cannot recommend trying to install DSM on a device that is not officially listet by Fox_exe.
If you do so anyway, I’m highly interestet in your experience! Please tell us afterwards! :grinning:

You don’t have to, i clean my ultra ex2 many times and i always get an ip address…it takes a little time after reboot - but always get an ip.

I use an 32GB USB Stick with FAT32 filesystem, i named it Recover( don’t know if it is important ).
Then use the “https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/usbrecovery.tar.gz” files on my Stick.

I release the HDD’s out of the bay, insert the stick in port 1.
Power on the WD, push the button, wait till the USB LED flashes, release the button and press it again.
Then wait a little time , look into my dhcp server and it show me the new ip address.
Use telnet and prepare my wd with the HowTo from @Fox_exe.

hope it helps you

I’ve once ran it for over 24 hours and it didn’t get an IP-address. Now I tried putting in a blank HDD formatted in EXT4 and pushing the reset button for 40-60 seconds. After over two hours it still didn’t receive an IP-address. Am I doing something wrong?

Ok, thanks @Loreax . @Fox_exe is there a file like this for the my cloud mirror gen2? Or how could i create one?

Thanks

@SSH_Problems, use this kernel (rename to “uImage”): Download
And uRamdisk from “USBRecovery for WDMC Gen2”

Thanks, i’ll try it

So it tried it. I took a fat 32 usb stick. Then i copied the files from the mycloud gen 2 recovery to the usb stick and replaced the uImage. It did not work. Without the HDD the power light just blinked. Do I need to replace the file wd_recover image? The only difference i could notice was that if i pressed the reset button during boot and the HDDs werent insert the cloud did not obtain an ip. What it normally does even without HDDS

Any other idea?

Thanks

It does not boot from the USB Stick anyway. I tried several images. But the image is powered after about a half minute after powering. And then the USB light is solid there is no reading.

Any other suggestions?

@fox_exe @w00dp3ck3r @Loreax

Thanks

Unfortunately not. I was lucky to be still in Warranty and might receive a new product soon.
A good friend of mine is kind enough to sell me his Qnap with a lot of storage for cheap. So I’m probably selling the brand new WD NAS.
I will still get around this forum every once and then. I hope you can fix your WD soon!
Best regards Loreax