Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

Can you please point me at the correct location for these files for my WDMyCloud-Gen1?

I am running DSM but can’t seem to find them in the directory, I have tried downloading the file dsm-rootfs.tgz but am unable to locate the necessary files in it,

Many Thanks

Got it finally! @loreax I just insert to other hard drives and i could again configure and set up dsm

Or are they not specific to the model of MyCloud I have?

YES, they very much are, Dont brick your box. RTFM…

@Fox_exe (or anyone else can answer) sorry if already asked: i’m using the Debian chroot app on a mirror gen 2.
Is it safe to upgrade the WD firmware or will the Debian stuffs done will be lost? (packages, custom scripts/services registered)

@darkdevil85, yes, its safe. All apps will be saved when firmware upgrade.
Ony for WDMC Gen1 (one drive) need re-register startup script for chroot.

ok upgraded, all fine. thank you

Hey guys,

i am already searching for about 2 weeks to unbrick my WD ex2 Ultra. But i cant get is.
Please help me! :smiley:

First of all i want to make my Ex2Ultra to an Nextcloud Device.
Step one was to make it run a Debian system. I used this image and tutorial:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Debian-linux_4.14.4/
I uploaded the “Firmware-debian-linux-4.14.4.bin” with the the UI in my Browser as an Firmware and rebooted the NAS. After that its over.
Everything worked including step “set 3 raid on”"
after that i cant go on - I dont have disks named “/dev/sda1,2,3 or /dev/sdb1,2,3” Only /dev/md126 and /dev/md127.

I am using the 1gb Ram model

ls /dev/sd*
cat /proc/partitions
lsblk
parted -l
mdadm -a

One of these commands show you all connected disks and partitions.
Last one - shows md/raid disks and partitions.

Thx for your fast answer. I got it now. But i dont get nexcloud running as i want.
i think i want to try to bring the ex2ultra back to normal with original FW if this is possible ?

I already downloaded the GPL File form the WD page. But i realy have no idea which file i have to copy to which location.

I would be realy thankful if someone can lead me in the right direction, thx.

BTW.: the NAS ignores the USB to boot. I tryed it with drives inside or out and holding reset button during boot up for about 40sec.

EDIT.: I tryed the unbrick tutorial from https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/ serveral times. The “normal” and the alternative way. The NAS always Boots up with the random MAC and i cant access the web ui. The uImage, uRamdisk and every other file or directory is always gone after a reboot.

Hey guys,
I’m also struggling with DSM on my WD EX2 Ultra…
I’ve installed the DSM from @Fox_exe 's page following his instructions and it kinda worked out. I was even able to get my real Synology to do Hyperbackup to this one over network. But then I tried to install Certificates of Let’sEncrypt and set it up to only use https and I guess that’s where I ■■■■■■ up.
Now the box connects and boots up, but only shows a white page in webgui - not even login screen, nothing.
I’ve tried to go back by pulling out the disks, but this also doesn’t help any more.
I’ve also tried to connect via Telnet - no chance.
I’ve tried the 40sec reset from WD - also nothing.

Any ideas how I could get it back to work (at least with WD FW)?

Thanks!

Poweroff, extract all disks, poweron.
Search in your network new IP/MAC address, connect via Telnet.
Install disks back, mount raid (mdadm -A), mount rootfs and replace damaged files (Download original files)

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve powered off, removed the disks, powered on again.

IP is still the same, Power-LED is blinking, when trying to connect via Telnet, Putty says “Network error: Connection timed out”

EDIT: Forced the router, to give it a new IP. After a restart, it took the new IP and remembered the name I gave it in the DSM, but still no webgui or Telnet.

How did you install Debian 10 Buster on the ex2ultra ? Cant find the right install image.

I basically adapted the solution from:

I made a couple of changes, though:
1.) Encrypt with cryptsetup 2
2.) Boot from USB thumb drive (so that the disks can finally sleep using hd-idle)
3.) Decryption key on separate thumb drive

The image is the Debian stretch from fox-exe. But you can easily upgrade to buster after installation. Here’s a pretty good example:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/update-upgrade-debian-9-to-debian-10-buster/

Thx so far ! Thats exactly what i am looking for :smiley:

Did you use a Serial Cable or is there a way to do it without it ?

At some point I had to use a serial connection because the image I created was faulty. But I think you can use an ssh connection too. That should work.

Hi,

Somehow after power loss my WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra got bricked it had earlier Debian from Fox site installed. Now using uart I’m able to access it and I was following the guide Bricked my EX2. <Also how I unbricked it> - #9 by TCWORLD but I got stuck on “umount /dev/loop0” it shows

umount: /usr/local/modules: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Can any of you please advice me how to get back to either original firmware or bring back Debian alive, thanks.

I also tried to install firmware from terminal but it cannot find updateFirmwareFromFile.sh file

Ok somehow I managed to screw it up even more, now when I try to boot after loading uImage and URamdisk from Tftp server I got:

Marvell>> boot
Using egiga2 device
TFTP from server 192.168.5.107; our IP address is 192.168.5.184
Filename ‘uImage’.
Load address: 0x2000000
Loading: #################################################################
#################################################################
################################################
8.3 MiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 3564428 (36638c hex)
Using egiga2 device
TFTP from server 192.168.5.107; our IP address is 192.168.5.184
Filename ‘uRamdisk’.
Load address: 0x3000000
Loading: #################################################################
#####################################################
8.2 MiB/s
done
Bytes transferred = 2680403 (28e653 hex)

NAND read: device 0 offset 0xc800800, size 0xf00000
15728640 bytes read: OK

Booting image at 02000000 …

Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 02000000 …

Image Name: Ex2u-4.8.6+
Created: 2016-11-21 19:15:19 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 3564364 Bytes = 3.4 MiB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum … OK

Ramdisk error, Loading Rescure Firmware from NAND Flash

Booting image at 00a00000 …

Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can’t get kernel image!
Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid

@Fox_exe mate any chance you could take a look at what’s above and shed some light on the issue, I would be very grateful, thanks!