Accessing files remotely through file explorer Win 10

I am new to the NAS scene and am struggling to find answers.

I moved to the EX2 Ultra after trying the My Cloud Personal because it wouldn’t allow me to segregate files/folders between users, but it would allow me to install the WD app from the Windows store and access the NAS through File Explorer.
I believed that a business version would have similar functionality but more control.

In a nutshell, I have the NAS unit at home, plugged into my modem. I can access it via the My Cloud site, but want to be able to use it “like a server” in that files are shared and re-saved to the same folder so that I only have 1 version.

Is this possible and if so, if someone could point me in the direction of the answer, I would really appreciate it. I have spent hours searching to no avail. I can access the files through File Explorer while I am on the same network at the NAS, but I lose that ability once I am remote.

Hi @ScottHutchings,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thanks … I have done that with no response at all.

The only way that you are going to be able to do that is with VPN and connecting to your router. All other ways are going to have to be done via a web portal.

That is just the way things are. You don’t want to expose your device to the “World” when you are remote.

You have to realize that is the way networks work. The file system is mounted to your computer within your network. Once you leave your own network, it doesn’t know how to talk to your device due to your new address.

That is interesting since the My Cloud Personal with the WD app did just what I was looking for.

I’m very confused why a business application like this wouldn’t provide “server-like” functionality.
Oh well, WD’s loss … I will be returning my unit.
Thank you for clarifying.

I am not sure what you mean by that. I have multiple NAS from all the vendors. I don’t have a drive mapping to any of them when I am remote from my network.

None that I know of do that. They all require using some app or web portal for remote access.

The biggest issue is the DNS, (Domain Naming System) How do you find your NAS away from home.

If you were talking about syncing a “folder” locally and have it copied to a NAS when you are back on your network then currently WD does not seem to support that.

Synology has that feature and QNAP can do that also.

I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Again, thanks for the reply.
I am a computer guy, but out of my depth when it comes to networks.
Having said that, I first purchased the My Cloud Home Duo. It has a companion Windows app that you download from the MS Store and it allows the NAS to act like a network drive … everywhere. Once I installed that app onto a second computer, I could see the file folder, access a file, and re-save it just as if I was using a local hdd.
It surprised me that this is not the norm and it set my expectations for a business device.
No worries, I have found a cloud application that does work as I want it to, so I’ve solved the problem.

If I am not mistaken; the home duo would be transfering ALL the data you access through WD servers.

So when you request a file, the request goes to WD across the internet - - > Then to your device. . .then back.

This is why it works “everywhere”.

Most people who have “home” NAS drives do not want the interface with an external server. With “normal” NAS units, all communication is contained within your home network.

When you are away from home. . .that’s where the VPN connection to your home network comes into play. FYI: You CAN map drives across a VPN; but obviously the VPN needs to be active to make it work.

Note: For those who don’t mind a third party having access to data. . . .that’s where commercial services like Google Drive and Drop box come into play: If they transmit your data; why can’t they store it as well?

1 Like