2 MyClouds not showing up on "Network" in windows file manager

So recently I noticed the both of my MyCloud drive ar no longer showing up on when I use the Windows Explorer and select Network. This is on multiple PCs with windows 7 and Windows 10. I can access them by typing \MyCloudName in the explorer address bar, so they are on the network.

I changed nothing on my settings, these have bee working great since I bought them with no issues at all until this popped up. Nothing on the network changed either.

Any thoughts?

Have you rebooted your router? That should cause everything on your network to show up again.

Nope that is not it. That is one of the first things I did.

Are they using DHCP addresses? How were the MC’s mapped? If they were mapped using IP addresses and the IP addresses changed. They won’t show up.

Both are static IPs.

They are completely accessible just not showing up in the file explorer if I look at “network”

I am going to add this for anyone else that has this problem. See images below. First click on the drop down menu icon. If you’ve opened WDMYCLOUD recently it should show up here.

Click on, tap or activate to enlarge images and see complete image.

Select and click on WDMYCLOUD to open it.

This is just one of several ways I have found to open it and get to my shares.

Just a dumb question—

Do they have the same hostname/netbios name?

Yes they will show up there, but have they suddenly stopped showing up in the area where you show “Desktop”. Something changed, I an going to venture with Windows that is causing this because I dont’t recall this happening around a WD My Cloud FW update.

Different names, different IP addresses (fixed)

My guess is that it is related to the master browser table somehow.

Basically, SMB protocol elects a “master browser” from the list of available servers, and that server supplies the list of network resource supplying servers. When the “network” is queried, it is really asking these questions on the wire:

[client–broadcast] Who is the master browser?
[master browser–broadcast] I am!
[client-- to master browser] Give me a list of resources in this workgroup.
[masterbrowser-- to client] This is my list.

I have noticed that there can be issues getting windows hosts to stop being the master browser/get windows hosts to accept a master browser that is not a windows server host— and in this circumstance, getting the windows host master browser to accept SAMBA hosts as service hosting devices.

I dont really want to call malfeasance on microsoft over it, but I haven’t been able to properly enroll a netbios named SAMBA client since windows XP.

I always just static IP the devices, and connect to them by IP address.

@Frozen1 Yes, on my new Desktop that I have had for two weeks. On my laptop the My Cloud and all my other devices recognized as a computer show up.

I have tried a lot of things but so far nothing has worked.

The odd thing to me is every other device on my network shows up without any issues. It is only the WD MyClouds that are not showing up. I just got a new router, and have not set it up yet, but maybe that will change things.

This is not a real big deal to my, but for my wife who is not as comfortable typing in network addresses, this is painful.

Obvious things to check if you have already ensured each My Cloud device has a unique device name and IP address. Start by reserving an IP address for each My Cloud device within the router if possible. Ensure each My Cloud is using the correct Workgroup name as all other computers/devices on the local network. Ensure the problematic computer is NOT connected to a guest wireless network that may be restricted from accessing the rest of the wired local network. Ensure the problematic computer’s security software or firewall software isn’t blocking access to local network devices. If using Windows, ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled and one is using Private Network as the group network setting.

I have been over this many times… nothing changed in the network, one day they just were not there. And obviously I am not the only one seeing this as others have jumped.

Just because you assume nothing changed on the local network (or with your computer’s OS) doesn’t mean something hasn’t changed. Obviously something has changed. Point is, one should review the standard troubleshooting things/steps that may affect the inability of the computer to see the My Cloud on the local network.

It’s possible a Windows update (if using Windows) may have changed something within the OS. Wouldn’t be the first time a Microsoft update affected access to the NAS devices like the My Cloud using SMB. A software update for third party firewalls could have changed or reset the firewall settings. A network driver update may even affect the network port on the computer causing problems. An ISP router or third party consumer router firmware update may affect router settings causing local network DNS issues.

It may sound repetitive and stupid but many of the troubleshooting suggestions in the following post, including Windows 10 Specific Method 1 through Windows 10 Specific Method 5 often solve general access problems with the My Cloud.

Windows 7 has similar settings that should be checked. Another basic troubleshooting step is to power down all network devices. Power on the network router and wait for it to finish booting up. Then power on the My Cloud and wait for it to display a blue front LED. Then power one one single computer (that was exhibiting the access issue) and after it boots into Windows see if the access issue continues. If not then continue turning on other network devices, checking after each device finishes booting up is the issue persists with that device.

@Frozen1

Try the following and see if it works for you, I just created a topic for this.

SMB 1.0 has many outstanding security vulns!!

It is best never enabled! Dont turn it on! :rage:

Some may, for what ever reason, have no choice but to enable it in order to get the My Cloud to show up in Windows 10. Microsoft changed things with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and SMB1 is not installed by default with that update.

The bigger question is why is WD using such and old protocol?

This does work BTW…

As a test I removed the check for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on a Windows 10 PC (with the latest updates) and sure enough the My Cloud is no longer seen in Windows File Explorer as a file server. I have to manually enter the name in the address bar area (ex: \\wdmycloud) for the My Cloud to show up as a file server. Windows File Explorer does see the media server though so it’s obviously a problem, I assume, with SMB either on the My Cloud or the Windows 10 PC or possibly with the local network router (ISP provided) not properly resolving network clients.