2 MyClouds not showing up on "Network" in windows file manager

WD Knowledgebase article that are relevant to the missing My Cloud when using Windows 10 Fall Creator version. Their suggestions are to either enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, or select the My Cloud icon under Storage (in Windows File Explorer) and select Open from the list of choices.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20760

As others have written about in other topics and on my new desktop computer with latest Windows 10 updates the choice to open no longer appears.

One can pin a shortcut to start, see this prior post/topic.

There seems to be two issues going on here. One is the problem with the My Cloud when the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is disabled. As several posts/links have indicated it is wise (but not optimal) to disable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support due to the various security vulnerabilities present in it. Obviously there is something wrong within the Samba used on the My Cloud that causes the My Cloud to not show up when SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is disabled. That is something WD (one would hope) will have to address going forward as more and more PC’s with Windows Fall Creator Update will not see the My Cloud.

The other issue with Microsoft Windows and the possible removal of the Open option when selecting on the My Cloud icon under Storage. I assume those who’s computers came with the Windows 10 Fall Creators version are the one’s having the bulk of the problems with both of these issues.

My earlier version of Windows 10 that has been updated with the Fall Creators update (version 1709 - OS Build 16299.125) on both of my main PC’s does have the Open option for the My Cloud icon under Storage. In fact the My Cloud icon looks different than yours. Wonder if that is the cause of the missing Open option.

MyCloudStorage

For example the Roku icon is similar to your My Cloud storage icon and it too does not have the Open option (nor should it). As such it would appear your Windows is potentially misidentifying the My Cloud for some reason. Strange.

RokuOtherDevice

I am reading—

Microsoft has depreciated the “Master browser/announce” method (which was used in SMB1.0), and now uses a different technology, ‘Web Services Discovery protocol’ (WS-Discovery), to populate network neighborhood for local devices. I dont see that Samba supports this protocol, which seems to be the root of the problem.

Computer Browser service depends on SMB1.0 being turned on, which is why turning it on suddenly makes it work again. MS disabled it for important reasons, and is pushing an alternative protocol. One Samba does not (yet) seem to support.

I am still looking for any documentation on this new protocol in Samba, but coming up empty so far.

I experienced the exact same problem. Microsoft disabled (by default) SMB1.0 as part of one of the recent updates (past 3 to 6 months). It’s too bad WD is still dependent an antiquated and susceptible (to ransomware) protocol like SMB. All over the Internet, Microsoft and security experts are adamant … disable SMB1.0.

So with that said, now we are stuck with not being able to see the WD NAS through explorer in a Windows workgroup. Oh sure you can map a drive … I don’t want to map a drive and someone (I think WD) said just right click and “Open” the WD device under Storage devices, but here is a tip to the WD staff that suggested that, if you are inside an application where you need to navigate to a file source (like adding an attachment in an email), Storage Devices Don’t Show Up!

So we are back to needing the WD NAS to appear as a computer, like it has for years, on a Windows workgroup network, not a domain, a workgroup since that is what the vast majority of home users and small businesses still use today.

To be fair, ANY linux based NAS (which is basically all??) is going to have this problem, since the issue is the depreciation of the Browse-Announce framework, and the adoption of the Web Services-Announce framework. There is no web-services announce daemon for fileshares on linux that I can find, but there is one for digital security cameras. Possibly it can be adapted to also report about SMB shares, so that windows hosts can get properly informed that the shares are available.

The impetus at the moment is in the linux community’s court, as there is a need not being met there.

No you are NOT stuck with not being able to access the My Cloud through Windows Explorer. Even though is it suggested one not use SMB1.0 one can still enable it, or re-enable it if they want to through the Turn Windows Features On Off section.

This isn’t the first time a change by Microsoft caused problems with the My Cloud. Like the previous poster indicated this issue is present with other NAS devices not just the My Cloud. One can still access the My Cloud using the device’s IP address. One can still map Shares. And one can turn SMB1 back on if they so desire.

Yea I AM stuck because I lost a specific type of functionality I use and desire, and before you jump on the WD fanboy wagon, I know the weakness in SMB1.0 is a Microsoft issue … duh.

Oh my gosh, I NEVER thought of reactivating SMB1.0, holy cow, this is the most amazing thing in the whole wide world, my oh my, complete hysteria will certainly follow, human sacrifices, cats and dog living together, UREKA … I can reactivate SMB1.0. … how could I have missed that … how could I have been so stupid … I am so disheartened … wait a minute … I just realized something … I already knew that … yea that’s the ticket … let me think for a second … humm let’s see … I’m not a moron and I am smart enough to follow the strong recommendations of Microsoft and virtually the entire computing community that says … Disable SMB1.0, its dangerous!!!

Let me ponder a bit longer … well, I also know all about mapping drives, which I already said I don’t want to do, so don’t throw that in my face like it’s some new discovery you are trying to educate me with. I know all about using the IP address, oh and here is one for you I can \\MYCLOUD too, so I know about all these other ways to access the NAS, but thanks for telling me what I already know.

Why not?

It is by far the best way of accessing a NAS. You do it once, and they will reconnect every time your PC reboots. And can be used in exactly the same way as any local disk on your PC.

You stated “we” are stuck with not being able to “see” the My Cloud through Windows Explorer. That simply isn’t true. You are choosing not to use SMB1.0. You are choosing not to map Shares. Ranting about this, or about people’s response to your post doesn’t change the fact that there are still options (even if they are bad/insecure) to access the My Cloud is one chooses to do so.

I have SMB1.0 disabled on Win 10 and have to take the extra step of either accessing the My Cloud using it’s IP address/name in the Windows File Explorer bar or right clicking on the My Cloud icon under Storage and opening it into a new Windows File Explorer window/instance. It’s a pain and it’s frustrating, but its the trade off until WD, or more specifically the Linux community, comes up with a fix to get around this change in Windows 10 by Microsoft.

I and most others here are not WD fanboi’s. Many of us who post regularly have complained often about the many (long standing) issues with the My Cloud devices.

ps.

When asking help from strangers, it pays to keep a civil tongue.

Interesting since Bennor set the tone using NOT in capitals, which is akin to yelling … I didn’t appreciate the yelled NOT or the very least the condescending NOT, so it went downhill from there.

Civility can start there.

Oh well, best of luck with resolving your problem.

Capping one single word is not necessarily indicative of one shouting. Capitalizing an entire sentence or entire post is. Capitalizing a single word is often seen as a way of highlighting a point. Especially when there are few options for emphasizing words with a post editor.

As cpt_paranoia stated, best of luck with resolving your issue/problem with your My Cloud device.

I would have to say that depends on your Settings.

This doesn’t work for me - my WD Cloud is STILL not showing in the network tree.

Wow. Reviving a 3 year old thread.

Don’t fret. . . I never got it to work either. Sure. . .I get it to show up for a few hours or days. . .but not on all the machines all the time. I have gotten over it. . .and simply type the device name in the address bar when I need it.

This has been resolved with the new OS/5 software. . . honestly the most noticeable improvement in the OS5 package (Note: I do not endorse OS5 for any WD product. . .lots and lots of warts)