Windows 10 can't see My Cloud workaround

Yes AbbottandCostello is a My Cloud 6TB

RAC

Found out why AbbottandCostello was not in the storage area. You need to start the
/etc/rc2.d/S61upnp_nas start.
If this process is not running the My cloud will not show up in the storage area.

RAC

1 Like

No doubt at all this is a Windows 10 issue. I tried all of the suggestions I could find including setting the MC to SMB1 and none of them worked.

I then went to Windows Settings Update & Security and rolled back. Tada! Both my devices now show in File Explorer. I’ll just leave Windows 10 as it is. I have no need for the latest and greatest software glitches from MS.

1 Like

Super! I’ll stick with the current release because I know the NAS is there and I map all the shares I use.

But good to know it is definitely a Windows 10 issue. :+1:

Paul

My Laptop is running windows 10 Pro OS Build 1586.36 version 1511. Both Abbott and Laural appear under computer and storage. Not sure what the bug would be in windows 10?

RAC

This is very curious for sure. Why would it work on your laptop and not on my desktop with the same build of Win 10?

Is your laptop network wired or wireless?

The additional programs I run (not distributed with Win 10) are Avast, Malwarebytes, Bluetooth device, MIrrorFolder (RAID software), Rapport (banking security), Reflect, Samsung Link, and Serviio (media server). I will start disabling these one at a time to see if any of them are involved.

Paul

The laptop is wireless. I just checked my desktop. It is on the same version of windows 10. But Abbot and Laural was not in the computer tab but were in the storage tab. I checked network settings and nothing was checked under property tab of the adapter. So I checked file sharing and ivp4. checked properties under ipv4 and netbios was enabled. Now abbott and laural show up under computer tab.

RAC

Very interesting! Wireless works.

Well, I’m wired Gigabit and I still don’t show the WDMyCloud and I do have NetBIOS selected. But I wonder If I disable NetBIOS and then re-enable it … I wonder.

Oh, I must check my Netbook (wireless) and see if it shows the WDMyCloud under Computers.

Paul

Don’t forget the file and printer sharing.

RAC

My wireless Netbook (Win 10 - latest build) also does NOT show the WDMyCloud under Network. {Sigh… }

Paul

Thanks for posting this. My ‘MyCloud’ not showing up under ‘Network’ in Windows 10 file explorer was driving me up the wall.

There are 3 Windows 10 computers on my network (1 Pro, 2 Home; all on the 1511 version).

I could remote in to the UI using the IP address. Windows File History shows that backups are being made on a regular basis. I just couldn’t see the NAS under Network. As above, I can see it under Media Devices and Storage.

The NAS would show up on the Pro desktop, but not on a consistent basis. The Home versions would never see the MyCloud in Network.

Good to know I can access it by typing it its name (e.g., \WDMyCloud) and accessing files that way.

One of my systems (a Windows 10 desktop MCLC2) shows both the WD MyCloud in the Network and shows it under Computers as well!

Not sure why that desktop displays the MyCloud correctly but I’ll check this out further. That desktop is Windows 10 but pre-November update so maybe that is it. It also happens to resides in a different segment of my network (about 1/2 Km away and connected by a wireless 2.4GHz link). The WD MyCloud is not in that segment with MCLC2 but is here in this segment with ASUS-CG8480. Odd.

Paul

Confirmed. Windows 10 latest release (.36) is the cause of not showing the NAS devices in Network.

Before and after the November update.

Will Microsoft fix this I wonder.

Paul

This morning I found that devices were missing from the network tab. I followed the directions in the following location:
http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/5747-w10-not-discovering-samba-devices-starting-10049-a.html

RAC

I have Enable NetBios over TCP/IP set ON and I still do not have NAS devices showing. I have always had Enable NetBios over TCP/IP ON. I am waiting for Microsoft to fix this.

Paul

I rebooted my system and the devices were not listed under network. I clicked on the network
and the devices showed up. After that they seemed to show everytime. Strange

RAC

There is potentially an SMB issue with Windows 10. I have found that changing the SMB setting either in the My Cloud or on my Windows 10 PC seems to fix the missing My Cloud in the File Explorer. Unknown how that change will affect file copying speeds though.

See the entry titled Method 6 in the following updated thread…

https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576

The best solution I have found for the My Cloud disappearing is to make my router the Samba Master Browser and to turn off the Computer Browser service in all networked Windows PCs to stop contention issues.

I also reset the network on a couple of troublesome PCs with netcfg -d and after a reboot of the PC the My Cloud appeared. (Use with caution.)

Which, as you pointed out in your other thread, only works if one has a router that has a Samba Master Browser option. If one’s router doesn’t have such an option they can either change the SMB2 & SMB3 settings on Windows 10 to SMB1, or change the SMB2 setting on the My Cloud via SSH to SMB1.

Edit to add: Updated the thread Compilation of Windows 10 Methods, Steps and Solutions to include the router / My Cloud Samba Master Browser fix in Suggestion for MyCloud poor responsiveness over Samba. There are now three SMB options to try.

I had the same problems detailed above. But this issue apparently has been resolved by Microsoft. As of today I can finally see Mycloud in file explorer!! Hip Hip Hurray!!