WiFi Networks requiring WEB BROWSER password logins

I posted about this last year a bit frustrated.  I have several good solutions to this now.  This is to inform others how to do it if you’re interested.  I know this is a specific application, and I’ll tell you why I need this solution at the end of this post.

#1 - Secret Built-In Browser - I don’t like this method, as you have to have a keyboard and mouse connected to the device, but this does appear to work in most cases.  You can find instructions on getting it open here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-TV-live-Web-browser/m-p/592995/highlight/true#M23182

#2 - Wireless WAN “WISP” router (WiFi as WAN)- This is the best option and there are several choices depending on your needs.  It is a standard WiFi router that supports a rare mode using another WiFi network as the WAN connection.  NOT ALL WiFi routers have this option, in fact most don’t!

Using this method does require that SOME device connect and enter the password in a browser, but it can easily done by using your smart phone, or in the case of the HooToo, can be done within it’s own settings.

- Travel/Portable - HooToo has several models like the TripMate that can be battery powered. These units even have their own internal setup page that has a built-in browser to allow you to log in from within the router settings.  

http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-ht-tm01-wireless-router.html

- Standard WiFi router that supports “WISP” - It seems to be rare, but there are several that offer this mode.  With this feature, when you setup your router, in the WAN settings you’ll find “Connect WiFi” as an option.  You’ll scan for WiFi networks, pick one, and save it.  Here’s one I tried successfully:

NETIS WF2414 (It was less than $30)

http://www.netis-systems.com/en/products/Wireless-Routers-Regular/64.html#.VblDIvlVhBc

In both cases above, you’ll still be prompted to enter a password on a web page.  But the DIFFERENCE in this approach is that you can connect with a DIFFERENT device, such as your smart phone and use it to enter the web password, and from that point on ALL DEVICES connected to your router will have access.

The reason this was important to me is I have a specific application where I installed the WD TV LIVE on my boat in a marina.  I PAY for WiFi internet at the marina and it has a web-based login every time I go to the boat. 

There was no other way to get the WD TV LIVE online without connecting a keyboard/mouse to it.

With the WISP router I bought, I leave that on the boat, it is permanently set to stay connected to the Marina WiFi as it’s WAN connection.  When I arrive to the boat, I pull out my smart phone, connect to my private WiFi network and go on the web.  Most times it’s still logged in, but if not, I just open a browser on my phone and enter the password.  Now, the WD TV LIVE works on the same network.

This solution is useful for a wide variety of applications, not just for WD TV boxes.  I hope it’s useful to someone.

#1 won’t work on the Live HD / Live + … they don’t have the “secret” web browser.

HI, I know the post above is 4 years old, but I figured I would ask this question here anyway.

I would like to extend a Wi-Fi signal with an extender device that allows me to sign into a web page from the extender.

Here’s the background… I have a seasonal site at a campground that provides free Wi-Fi. They provide you with their SSID and password to connect to their APs. Once you are connected with your phone/PC/etc your are directed to a Zyxel web page to sign in with an individually assigned user name and password. Once signed in you have access to the Internet. The problem is, you can only have one device signed-in at a time using this individual UN/PW. If another device signs on to the Zyxel access page with this UN/PW, the other device gets kicked off.

I would like to use an extender’s internal browser to sign into the Zyxel page and provide a local SSID and PW for multiple devices to sign into the extender and have Internet access at the same time without getting booted.

Is there a device out there that will allow me to do this?

Yep. There are a few. You want a device that has an option for wireless WAN settings. Sometimes it’s called WISP (wireless isp) sometimes they just say wireless for wan options.
I use a travel device called a HooToo tripmate. TPLink has some too.

Basically, you have to use your phone or other wireless device to log into the WISP router and make it connect to your free Wi-Fi service. Use that same device to log in to their webpage after you’re connected.
Once the free Wi-Fi has been authorized through the WISP router you can connect anything to it such as the WD box and it will have internet. The Wi-Fi service only sees that one device, the WISP router, and doesn’t know the difference.

Thanks so much for your reply Jonelli. I’ll pick up the TPLink and let you know how I make out over the weekend. Thanks again!