Why does my ip address change

my frustrations with the wd cloud continue. My ip address keep changing randomly does anyone know why this happens. I dont know how to change to a static ip and ive read some peoples drives have stopped working after they configured a static ip. I have a few questions

1. how do you configure a static ip

2. is it safe to configure a static ip

(and before someone gives me the obvious answer to refer to page whatever in the mannual, I know where to go to assign it just dont know how to reserve the address and where to get the info)

why is this device so difficult I have trouble streaming off network, trouble accessing media from apple products, this drive is about to become a paper weight, or someone elses on ebay very cheap. PLEASE HELP I love the idea of the drive just want it to work now

Have you checked your router to see if you can reserve an ip address for your My Cloud. I have the Linksys WRT1900AC and reserved mine.

The following comes from Help (?) in the Dashboard.

Changing the Network Mode

By default, the network mode is DHCP, which means WD My Cloud automatically gets the IP address and other settings from your network. If you want to set an IP address manually, change the mode by completing this procedure.

To change the network mode (from DHCP to Static):

1. Click Settings.
  2. In the left pane, click Network.
  3. For the Network Mode option, click Static.
  4. Click OK to continue with the change.
  5. In the Static Network Mode dialog box, enter at least an IP Address and a Netmask.
  6. Click Save.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

adtdream wrote:

1. how do you configure a static ip

1. is it safe to configure a static ip

(and before someone gives me the obvious answer to refer to page whatever in the mannual, I know where to go to assign it just dont know how to reserve the address and where to get the info)

why is this device so difficult I have trouble streaming off network, trouble accessing media from apple products, this drive is about to become a paper weight, or someone elses on ebay very cheap. PLEASE HELP I love the idea of the drive just want it to work now

1. In the WD web GUI.

2. Yes, as long as it is valid IP address on your network and no other device has the same static number.

3. Look up the current IP assigned to the MYCLOUD with DHCP.

4. Change from DHCP to Static IP in the WD GUI.  Type in that number you found above.

5. Save the settings.

DHCP should have given you a valid, unused IP address and that should be okay to use.

Off network - that is likely a firewall or your slow internet upload speed issue.

Apple products - apple wants you to buy content from their apple store.  If you want “just works” pay 100x more and buy everything from itunes.

MYCLOUD isn’t a device for newbies.  You’re blaming a device for your ignorance of simple networking ideas.