Which NAS - My Cloud Mirror (gen2) or EX2 Ultra?

I was about to purchase the My Cloud Mirror (Gen2) when the EX2 Ultra was launched and now I’m not so sure which to go for. They appear to be very similar (processor, features etc) but the Ultra is cheaper and boasts 1GB of RAM (Gen2 is not stated?) .

The only difference I can see from the tech specs is the Ultra is Windows 10 compatible but doesn’t support the WD desktop application - not sure if the latter matters really but I’m not sure :weary:

Can anyone please offer some advise? Am I missing something really obvious other than the colour scheme differences :joy:

Thanks in advance comrades

Perhaps it would easier for us to provide a suggestion if we’d knew your personal needs. The WD My Cloud Mirror (Both generations) is designed for home use while the WD My Cloud EX2 (And Ultra) is more work-oriented with additional advanced features related to active directories and iSCSI volume virtualization.

Thanks Trancer - I guess I’m a home user with large storage requirements (movies mainly) who also wants to get a bit more sophisticated on the media server front.

Given the EX2 Ultra 4TB is cheaper than the My Cloud Mirror Gen2 4TB and is a newer model with more RAM it sounds to good to be true.

I have no use for the additional features you listed but I assume if I ignore/don’t utilise them then it just comes down to price - the Ultra looks to be the best deal then.

I have one of th DL series of NAS, this is designated as “Business” class, and it has the faster processor than an EX series of same category (EX2100 vs DL2100) but otherwise basically the same. I have more bells and whistles than I need with either one, but with my gigabit wired home and router, “faster is better” for me. My data transfer speeds meet the device’s specs, all I know.

Think of it like cars; one may not “need” air conditioning, but they will never regret paying more for it. Get the most NAS one is willing to pay for (and then stretch a little bit more.) Buying a NAS configured with WD drives is more cost effective than driveless shell and buying same drives separately, and less hassle, too.

Thanks mike27oct - I took on board your suggestion and have gone with the EX2100 instead. I like the additional power management options it has to offer.

Enjoy it!

A Tip for you: Upgrade the memory of your new NAS. For just $25 you can buy the recommenced memory upgrade for it at Amazon. I did.

See this WD link:
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=12943

Probably already a bit late, however while researching the same topic I have stumbled upon this WD support FAQ spreadsheet.
From my perspective the important difference between the two is also in the amount of RAM (512MB vs 1GB)
More on WD Support page