What's wrong with my MyPassport Wireless Pro?

Hi. I bought this MyPassport Wireless Pro 3TB on ebay. I live in Korea and bought using shipping dealer in the U.S. It was second hand one. The seller says it is almost like a new. working no trouble. I live in Korea so I used a shipping dealer in the U.S

So, I ordered and I got it a weeks ago, and found out there’s some weird problem. When I turn the power button. It turns on and but later all leds are blinking and doesn’t do anything. Sometimes it makes weird ticking noise. tick tick tick…

When I connect usb 2.0 cable (the one included in the package), it says it is connected. But it only shows a partial portion of hdd. It shows EasySuite with 1.27mb storage, nothing else.

When I use usb 3.0 cable it reads the whole portion. It works fine as removable hdd. I can read the whole capacity of hdd.

It even works fine as external battery for my smartphone.

But no wireless connection. I tried to hookup to 192.168.60.1 address. I installed a few wd program but nothing really worked. So what’s going on?

The only option I think of is that the hdd is somehow damaged during the shipping or the seller messed up with the device while he is removing his old data. I called service center here in Korea but they said they can’t help me since it is not bought through Korean wholesaler. I’m thinking of taking this to the U.S. (I have a plan to visit the U.S late this month)

So here I ask you guys for help. Please share your wisdom. Or give me direction to the a good WD service center near in LA or San Diego.

Thank You.

The USB cable included in the original/new unit is a USB 3.0 cable. If it is a USB 2.0 cable then it will likely not provide enough bus power to the MPWP when connected in direct attached to PC (DAS) mode. Since you are able to connect to the MPWP in DAS mode without problem via USB 3.0 cable, you can try to run scan disk to make sure there is no file system error on the HDD or reformat the file system (e.g NTFS), then reset the unit either via the dashboard (if you can access via Wifi) or via the two button presses. You can refer to the UM for specific instruction.

The simple fact is you bought a piece of delicate electronic gear on eBay and a few things with it are not right. First, as noted, the USB cable appears to be wrong, and if it is a USB 2.0 cable, there is no way to even attach the cable to the MPWP because the original USB 3 cable has a special fitting for the MPWP end…

Look, friend, you have made a big mistake – you should have bought a brand new one from a reputable dealer so you would have received all the correct parts, too, and have a warranty from WD. The only good thing about this situation is that you bought it through eBay and they will help you get a full refund if the seller gives you a hard time about a refund.

My advice is to contact eBay and ask them how to proceed. They will be very helpful to you. Call them if you can. Follow their instructions and you should soon have a refund in a few weeks.

Once you know you will be getting a refund for sure, then buy a NEW MPWP. Don’t make this mistake again.

Thanks for answer. As you might already know, the HDD has only 2 ports Either USB 2.0 (Type A) on right side and USB 3.0(Type Micro-B) on left side. When I hook up to USB 3.0 cable on USB 3.0 port with USB 3.0 Micro-B cable, It works just as an usual off-line external HDD. I can use full capacity but nothing else works. When I connect to USB 2.0 port with the cable (that is included in the package I believed it to be USB2.0, because it has no Type A USB3.0 port), the HDD works only as USB-CD with EasySuite inside, capacity of 1.27mb. Anyway, when I hooked up with Type A port with the cable included inside. I checked online and it is the cable when you buy a new stuff. But anyway, it doesn’t work like on left side.

I thought firmware or core software might be damaged while previous owner formatted the HDD. So I tried to upgrade the firmware. The only way to upgrade the firmware is either you hook up with Wifi connection and upgrade the bin file or using SD card with BIN file inside at upgrade folder. Wifi connection is not working and SD card can’t be read.
When I press the power button, HDD and Wifi LED blink for a while. But later, all the LEDs are blinking fast. Sometimes, I hear ticking or beeping noise (just when you hear HDD is broken. power on power out noise) before all LEDs blinking.
I tried scandisk but didn’t find any error. I just have no clue.
I’ll try to run scan disk again and reset as you said. I didn’t know how to reset usuing two button thing. Thank you.

Well… I think you got confused with MyPassport Wireless with MyPassport Wireless Pro. Pro version has two ports. Both USB 3.0 Micro Type B, and USB 2.0 Type A. Take a look at this. I copied from the manual. The And the package comes with only the MPWP, power adapter and USB Type A cable. It doesn’t have a blue tip inside. I think this is only for the recharging and USB2.0 data sharing.

On the other hand, MyPassport Wireless has only one port. That is USB 3.0 Micro B. On my Passport Wireless Pro, I tried both port with two different cable and found some problem as I mentioned early. Nothing resolved.

And thanks for your advise anyway.

This is what happens when I turn on my MPWP.
As I press the power button, HDD LED turns on (blue), Wifi LED blinks (blue).
After a while (like 20~30 seconds later), all LEDs are blinking crazy. It doesn’t end.
When I plug a USB 3.0 cable into my pc hooking up to USB 3.0 port. It stops and works
just an ordinary DAS HDD.

I tried to do the factory resetting. But the problem is wifi doesn’t work and I can’t get in Dashboard.
So I tried the other way, pressing two button way.

I tried it two different way. First I tried just as the manual. Press power button and two buttons
together. But it didn’t work. All the LEDs still blinking and nothing changed.

So Next, I instead pressed two buttons from the beginning.
Now it looks like it is doing something. 3 times short blinking and 1 time long blinking.
It pattern looks similar to the recovery mode blinking on the manual.
But this 3 short-1 long pattern doesn’t seem to end at all. Should I leave it this way?
Am I doing right? and How long does this procedure usually take?
Thanks.

If the OP has downloaded the complete user manual for his particular device, then he knows if he has an original MPW or the current Pro model. Having the manual is imperative for using or resetting the device. If the OP wants to screw around with an apparently defective or misused device, that’s his business. I would not…

I may be wrong but it sounds like he is attaching MPWP with USB cable and trying to connect to WiFi at the same time. That’s not possible with my unit.

No it’s not what I meant. I can’t get in to DashBoard at all by any means.
The unit is working separately : as local DAS mode (nothing but as DAS) →
means physical hdd is OK, I guess
The unit recharge my phone : means the battery is working.
But not as MPWP as it supposed to be. I can’t get in to the DashBoard mode at all.
I think something is messed up inside with the board or the basic program got fried for somehow.
Wifi address for MPWP doesn’t show up since it is not working properly from the begining.

I tried many things as the manual said. Like restoring to factory setting by pressing two button as the manual says. → didn’t worked
I downloaded latest firmware for MPWP and try to re-install on my MPWP using SD card but didn’t worked. → didn’t worked.
So and so…

Anyway, thanks for your concern.

Also my passport I cannot access to connect on his Wi-Fi only an usb any help?

I have had a WD MyPassport Wireless Pro now for quite sometime and suddenly I ran into this problem with the rapidly blinking lights and the drive being completely inaccessible. After researching, I figured that the drive much be corrupt and (being in warranty) have now sent the drive back to WD. I need the drive for a upcoming trip so ordered a second one and immediately upon turning the drive on, I have run into exactly the same problem. Blinking rapid lights and the drive is completely inaccessible. I have tried the Fireware update as recommended in other threads, I have attempt to attempted to evaluate the drive through “Data LifeGuard Diagnostics” with NO improvement through any attempts. I can long hold the buttons to boot into “recovery mode” for a reason that is completely lost to me. Can I possibly have just received a brand new, damaged drive? I am VERY frustrated with this equipment.

Contact WD Support at

Guys need help cannot connect on my mpwp says user does not have permission (403) what is this means pls any help?