What Are the .WDMC Folders?

I only tried the WD backup software once, and killed the process before it was done (see my previous topic on how absurdly slow this all seemed) and I noticed something really odd.

As a hidden folder, visible in Windows Explorer, every folder that had images in it (JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs… all of them, I think) there was a hidden folder called .WDMC.  Inside that was a folder called “Transcoded Files”, and inside that was a file with a long name that was a jumble of letters and numbers - the kind of name only a computer could use.  Inside of that were two copies of every image in the folder being backed up.  One was the full-sized original, the other was the thumbnail.  

It’s like the software created a backup on my drive instead of on the mirror, except that there were also copies of these on the MyCloud Mirror. 

Does anyone know what these are, or what they’re for?  Are they temporary things that go away when the WD software is finished?

Thanks,

Bob

That’s all related to the My Cloud mobile server – nothing to do with backups.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s all related to the My Cloud mobile server – nothing to do with backups.

Do you think they were just left over from when I killed the WD backup before it completed? 

No

If you’re backup up videos, photos, music, etc to the My Cloud, the “wdmcserver” (wd my cloud server) is going to crawl them and transcode them.

1 Like

The only way to stop them being created is to turn off the cloud access features of the MCM, of course with accompanying loss of functionality. And even then already existing ones will remain, and can only be deleted manually (and tediously) one by one, unless you use some Linux hackery-pockery directly on the MCM via SSH.

Or to put it another way, the response to “What Are the .WDMC Folders?” is “An annoying pain in the arse”…

1 Like

DarrenHill wrote:

The only way to stop them being created is to turn off the cloud access features of the MCM, of course with accompanying loss of functionality. And even then already existing ones will remain, and can only be deleted manually (and tediously) one by one, unless you use some Linux hackery-pockery directly on the MCM via SSH.

Or to put it another way, the response to “What Are the .WDMC Folders?” is “An annoying pain in the arse”…

For sure.

So since I don’t care about using the MCM as a cloud in the usual sense (I don’t care about accessing my home pictures from my phone or something), I can turn that feature off. 

I don’t understand why they’d leave those .WDMC folders on my desktop computer and not just on the MCM, but it must have made sense to someone.