WDX4000 recovery process ends with - storage bad - drive not part of the array

Well it finally happened! After a sudden power failure one drive died on my DX4000. Replaced the bad drive with identical model drive and yet got 0xD9 errors. Resorted to replacing all drives with four identical WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives. Following the standard and recommended steps DISKPART/cleaned all drives and proceeded to boot from a USB created from PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21. Consistently get “storage bad” errors and Drive “WD-WCAVY#######’ is not part of the RAID!” I’ve tried various combinations of over a dozen whitelisted drives that otherwise seem fine. What am I missing?

this tells me your NAS itself is damaged

I suggest Synology such as one of the 8 disk models which can gobble up all your disks and offer a slightly more robust setup

Good to know. Any suggestion on attempting to recover my data (if I can determine which drives its on!)?

given the old unit is damaged and disks are interleaved sadly not much you can do

If you have not done diskpart/clean on the old drives you can try raid recovery software. You get a couple of dual usb caddys and hook them to a windows pc.
The software is normally free to look and if you see your data you pay to drag and drop
I suppose if you already had the drive docks you could look even if you have cleaned the drives. It will work with one missing drive out of 4

It seems like you’re encountering some issues with your DX4000 NAS (Network-Attached Storage) device after replacing a failed drive and trying to rebuild the RAID array. The error messages you’re seeing can be quite frustrating, but there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the problem. Please note that working with RAID systems can be complex, and it’s essential to proceed with caution.

Here are some steps to help you address the issue:

1. Ensure Drive Compatibility: Verify that the replacement drives are truly compatible with your DX4000. Compatibility includes not only the physical connection but also the size and specifications. Make sure that all drives have the same capacity and are supported by your NAS.
  2. Check Drive Connections: Ensure that all drives are securely connected and properly seated in their bays. Loose or incorrectly connected drives can cause issues.
  3. Update Firmware and Software: Make sure your DX4000’s firmware and any associated software or drivers are up-to-date. Manufacturers often release updates to address known issues.
  4. Recreate RAID Array: Given that you’ve replaced all the drives, you might need to recreate the RAID array from scratch. Ensure that you follow the correct steps for creating the RAID configuration you desire. It’s possible that the previous array’s configuration data is causing conflicts.
  5. Initialize Drives: Use the NAS device’s interface to initialize the new drives. This will typically involve creating partitions and formatting the drives. Make sure you follow the recommended procedures for your specific device.
  6. Recovery Software: It appears you’ve been using PANAM_SvrRecovery software. Be sure that you’re using the correct version and following the exact steps outlined in the manufacturer’s documentation.
  7. Check for Drive Errors: Use diagnostic tools to check the health of the drives, such as WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Western Digital drives. This can help identify if any of the new drives are faulty.
  8. Contact Support: If the issue persists and you’ve tried all of the above steps, consider reaching out to the manufacturer’s customer support or community forums for assistance. They may have specific insights or troubleshooting steps for your NAS model.

Please note that these steps may involve data loss if not executed correctly. It’s crucial to have backups of your important data before attempting any significant changes to the RAID configuration.

Lastly, if you have any important data on the NAS, it’s always a good practice to consult with a professional or data recovery service if you’re uncertain about the steps to take or if the data is critical.

Remember to follow the documentation provided by the manufacturer closely, as specific steps may vary depending on the NAS model and firmware version.

A sudden power failure, one drive bit the dust. I replaced it with an identical model, but now I’m stuck with persistent 0xD9 errors. Frustrated, I decided to replace all the drives with four WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives, following the standard steps like DISKPART/cleaning all drives. However, no matter what combination of whitelisted drives I try, I consistently run electric heated socks into “storage bad” errors.

After a similar power outage I was advised on WD Community that the problem is in the Sentinel itself and is not recoverable.