WDTV - No audio with MKV files?

I had a WDTV Live that played MKV files just fine via the digital pass through via optical.  I recently moved that device to another room and put new WDTV with firmware 1.02.17 in living room and went to play MKV files, no sound.  No matter what audio setting I change it to, nothing.  Please help.  Thank You

well, the 1st thing you should always do when things are playing up is a Factory Reset

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

I tried that and went back in and went back and forth with audio settings, still nothing.  Nothing has changed on receiver.  I sent exactly how the WDTV Live box I had, only Dolby and DTS checked.  I went ahead and checked the AAC, but still nothing.  These are MLV with dolby digital audio

Has the optical ever worked with that player? It could have a bad output…

No…it’s brand new out of the box today.  

rfuller783 wrote:

I tried that and went back in and went back and forth with audio settings, still nothing.  Nothing has changed on receiver.  I sent exactly how the WDTV Live box I had, only Dolby and DTS checked.  I went ahead and checked the AAC, but still nothing.  These are MLV with dolby digital audio

Don’t select that if the AV Reciever doesent support it.

From memory if i select AAC on my setup … i lose audio through my Audio Reciever via Optical

I unchecked it and tested again, no audio.  I have tried MKV and mp4 files now, no sound via optical.

If you set it to Stereo, it should send 2channel PCM out every output, including the optical, for anything.

Must be a bad optical connection.  Nothing out of stereo either.  I was worried that this new WDTV didn’t play MKV.  Guess I have to return.  Thanks for the help!

My 2014 WDTV Media Player works fine with MKV  Dolby Digital / DTS / Stereo via Optical Connection to my Audio Receiver.

So in your situation it could be a number of things that have gone wrong

1. WDTV  (check Audio direct to the TV via HDMI / Composite … set the Audio Settings to “Stereo” do you hear sound ?

2. Optical Cable (check cable, unplug one end at a time … do you see a Red Light ?)  yes or no, try another cable anyways.

3. AV Receiver  (check settings)

I’m 99.9% sure it is the optical connection.  What I did was unplugged the WDTV Live that was there (was working just fine) then plugged in this new model, WDTV, using the same connections…optical for audio, HDMI for video, and no sound.  All the same settings on WD and receiver settings were not touched.  Getting returned.

with everthing powered on … unplug the optical cable from your AV reciever

can you see a “red light” shining at the end of the optical cable ?  if not then yeah, probably the wdtv at fault

will be interesting to see if you get a replacment wdtv and hopefully it works

let us know

This particualr optical cable you can’t see a light (always thought it was odd), never have been able to from it, but has always worked on what I have plugged into it.  I did try another cable in another port on receiver and plugged into WDTV, no sound.  

I’m convinced it is the optical conenctrion on WDTV and will be returning.  I can’t imagine it being anything else with what I have tested.  Thank You