WDAVP00BE - no audio on most .MKV files

I have a WDAVP00BE WD HD T V Player that I am conecting to my Full HD TV via HDMI.  The good news is that all video is being played without any problems. However,  a lot of the audio content is not played at all. I have donwloaded the most recent firmware version that I think 1.03, but the problem persits. I have tried switiching between Stereo and Digital and also played around with the settings on my TV, but to no avail. The bottom line is that some audio is being played (throught the TV speakers, I do not have an amplifier to go with this particular TV) whereas other files play without any sound.

Any thoughs anyone? I have also tried to convert files, but the included converter (media converter 2.5) does not even recognise .mkv files. I have other video converters, such as Anyvideo converter but I am not sure which audio standards within .mkv are supported, an, as said  the video is just fine…

Thanks for any help

chimera

What I meant to say was that all video content plays with no issues, but on most  the .mkv files (720/1080) I have no audio. On some I do, but they are not noticeably different from those that do not. I connect the device via HDMI to a Full HD 42" Toshiba TV. I tried playing around with the settings on both TV and the WD TV Box, but to no avail. I guess since some work and others do not, it is some audio codec issue? I have upgraded to the latest 1.03 firmware but the problem persists. Any thoughts on how I can check which files are can be audio deciphered and which cannot?

I connect my Gen1 to a yamaha using HDMI only.

I’ve had this problem too where there’s no audio output even though other 5.1 formats work fine.

I’ve found changing the audio output format from ‘digita’ to ‘stereo’ in audio settings will give me sound. It still comes through the HDMI but it’s just stereo.

It’s a shame you can’t get 5.1 but it’s better than nothing especially if you don’t have the time to re-encode or anything.

i have exactly the same problem whit the same device and same update with digital audio connection.

With .mkv format no audio at all, with all others formats is ok.

No idea what’s the problem.

thank you WD

Stickler

check to see if the audio is in DTS ,if it is ,then you will not get audio through the tv,I hope Western digital is listening to us and make it possible to downmix to stereo in the next update

I also ran into this DTS problem . It’s definately DTS incompatibility becase I have one MKV file with multiple audio programs in it. The main movies audio is DTS and the two other comentary tracks are Vorbis. The DTS track doesn’t play back but the Vorbis audio is fine.

I would also like to put in a request for DTS compatablility and a stereo downmix for the analog.

AVTRnut wrote:

I connect my Gen1 to a yamaha using HDMI only.

I’ve had this problem too where there’s no audio output even though other 5.1 formats work fine.

I’ve found changing the audio output format from ‘digita’ to ‘stereo’ in audio settings will give me sound. It still comes through the HDMI but it’s just stereo.

It’s a shame you can’t get 5.1 but it’s better than nothing especially if you don’t have the time to re-encode or anything.

I’ve found the actual problem for me was  that the 5.1 audio on the media I was testing  is AAC - not AC3.

Since I had audio set to digital - which means passthrough the digital stream to the receiver  - the yamaha has to decode AAC. The Yamaha I have can not decode AAC so I got no audio. The stereo option means that the player decodes to stereo (which is either a downmix or it pulls an embedded stereo track - I’m not sure which) and that works fine.

Since WD has no DTS support for the media player my recommendation is to download ripbot264. It is freeware and it will convert the DTS to any varying bitrate aac or ac3. I usually go with the 640kbs ac3. The only problem though is that it takes about 10 hours or more to do the conversion because it has to convert the video as well [even if it is already an h.264 codec :(]

Very sorry to hear that from wd company because all devices  WDAVP00 and WDAVP00BE they arent work with dts. if you say support  audio dts why dont work ? or that is just for EUROPE? i hope very soon they will make a new update and i am waiting so much for that beuase i have allmost 8 tb film ( MKV +DTS) .I  read some comments or helping in forum about to convert the file to acc or ac3 but that is not a choise because will not be in same quality. i did buy the wd hd player just for mkv and dts. so please do not push me or all users of wd hd player to send back the device to warranty  ! it is better to work good and shure or not? what you think? the company has release  Version 1.03.01,Version 1.02.07 ,Version 1.02.00 ,Version 1.01.02 ,Version 1.01.01 and still with problems.please wd company listen the costumers !

if you have WDAVP00 and WDAVP00BE ( gen 1) models they will not support to dts audio maybe the new update will support but i dont hope so.all those models are sold in europe and working with PAL .

I fear that WD TV HD Gen1 will never support DTS downmix in future firmware versions as the DSP is simply not fast enough for the downmix to Dolby Surround or 5.1

Only chance is to connect a DTS-capable receiver to digital out as the DTS stream is given 1:1 to that output only.

Thats the reason why WD introduced Gen2 with a faster DSP (same one as in WD TV Live).

tiberius wrote re: ripbot264: >The only problem though is that it takes about 10 hours or more to do the conversion because it has to convert the video as well [even if it is already an h.264 codec :cry: ]

10 hours is a long time. Try “PopCorn MKV AudioConverter”, it just converts the audio of the MKV file and leaves the video stream intact. I convert a DTS track to DVD quality AC3 in less than an hour and if you strip out the DTS the file size is smaller than the original MKV.

AudioConverter is free. I did the full tools install but had to download “AC3Fix” seperately. Instructions and download here: http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/