Mkv sound problem

Dear all,

I’m having problems with MKV files that are encoded with digital sound. I proved it with HDMI cable and the problem remains. The MKV files that doesn’t have sound problems are the one who are encoded with AC3 format.

Is there any solution for this? Is there any update which solves this? I have the  Media Player Generation 1.

Thanks a lot again!

Regards to everyone

Alvaro 

you could always convert the dts audio to ac3 and then mux it back into the mkv with mkvmerge, as far as i know the 1st gen doesnt support dts decoding

My device is hooked up HDMI to tv for video and optical to the receiver for audio.  Never had a audio issue.  Although when I just use the HDMI for audio and vidio I have the same issue you are complaining about, which I am assuming is because of the lack of DTS support on the WD TV.

The problem with WDTV Box 1st generation is that are not capable for decoding DTS sound system… so until WD team make a firmware update which solve this bug, i think the best you can do (i am doing it!) is to convert the .mkv files (usual the problem are with those files, because the HD files usual comes in .mkv format with DTS sound).

Here is a program which i am using it for converting DTS to Dolby Digital : 

http://mediaplayersite.com/AudioConverter

If you do the conversion, the image still remains HD, the only thing is the program add a audio chanel to the file. You can choose the option to delete the original DTS chanel (the file will be shorter with few 100 MB…) or you can keep the DTS audio file as well (i am doing this). So when you convert (takes about 20-30 minutes, depend on the file lengt and of course how quick is your pc…)

Don’t  forget when you play back on your WDTV box the file to switch the audio chanel to Dolby Digital on Option, tab -  audio! good luck! :smiley:

regards from Athens - Greece :smiley:

Try to sell your gen one on amazon or ebay… 

Then pick up a gen 2… : )