WDMYCLOUD no longer available - SOLVED

As of yesterday the cloud device is suddenly no longer available. It’s not in the network of any device in the house, including desktop windows 10 pcs and Apple Devices.

I have a solid yellow light on the front.

Any ideas on how to restore it to the network.

No recent changes to device or network that I’m aware of.

Has there been any new devices added to the network? Like new router or other networking hardware?

Basic troubleshooting steps:
Power down all devices including the network router. Power up the router and wait for it to fully boot up to operating mode. Then power on the My Cloud (and ONLY the My Cloud) and wait for it to boot up to a Blue LED on the front.

Replace the network cable between the My Cloud and the network router.

Make sure the My Cloud has a static or reserved IP address. One can usually reserve the IP address within the network router for client devices like the My Cloud. Or one can set a static IP in the my Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network.

If the My Cloud was previously configured for a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network, return that setting back to DHCP.

Try putting a network switch between the My Cloud and the network router. In certain rare cases this will fix a conflict between certain broadband routers and the My Cloud.

No changes to the network or device.

The green led at the back is flashing suggesting its communicating correctly.

Tried the reboot / network cable but didn’t have any effect.

Rebooting the cloud device seemed quiet. It usually makes a bit of noise as it comes on.

Also I recall that the issue started when I was running a virus scan across the device using McAfee. It got about 60% through and that’s when the issues started.

I can’t do anything about the IP address as I can’t access the device’s dashboard in its current state.

These diagnostics may help:

1. Is your router able to show that the NAS has been assigned an IP address?
  2. Does the NAS respond to ping?
  3. Does pointing your web browser at the NAS IP address return a web page?
  4. Can you verify the LAN ethernet cable is good?
  5. Can you verify the power supply is good?

Perhaps transplanting and testing on another LAN (router) will illuminate the problem.

As a troubleshooting step. What happens if you connect the My Cloud directly to a Ethernet network port on a computer. This assumes you have a computer with an available network port. Connecting the My Cloud this way bypasses the network router.

A full 40second reboot solved the issue.

To note though plugging it into the PC’s network cable did nothing.

Very strange; I’m backing up all the data now and will get a second drive to connect to it so it backs up regularly.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you have a static IP set in the My Cloud Dashboard and it was on a different IP subnet than the current one you are on. One of the settings reset to default when performing a 40 second reset is the My Cloud IP address setting option in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network is set to the default of DHCP.

It would be helpful for future readers if the 40second reboot procedure was document in the post (preferable) or a link is provided

1 Like

The 40 second reset procedure is detailed in the User Manual for the My Cloud (see Resetting the My Cloud Device in Appendix C: Troubleshooting - https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126) and in the following WD Knowledgebase Article:

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I have had consistent problems with my mycloud not being able to be seen from my Win X desktop.

It stopped being visible again last week after the latest WinX update.

I am very sure that there is some issue with WinX updates making the mycloud device no longer available.

The last time it was not available on my LAN for a couple of months it suddenly rebooted for no reason at all that was evident to me. Then it was visible. Being curious I went in to see if I should do a firmware update and it said that the latest firmware was there and I had not done one for quite some time.

So there seems to be some problem where WinX gets updates and then I can not see the cloud drive and some sort of software update has to happen to the cloud drive before I can see it again.

Because I can still see it in the web it’s not a big deal. But I would like to take care of this problem some time or other.

One of the reasons I am very suspicious that it is some sort of software update is that one time this happened I put in a support ticket and the next day the drive rebooted for no apparent reason and was able to connect again. I presumed at the time it was someone from support remotely rebooting the machine because in the support ticket I provided the drive unique details.

Anyone who can shed any light on this would be most welcome.

I can not be the only one where the drive mysteriously stops working right after a WinX update.

Thanks.

Peter

“WinX”? Do you mean Windows 10?

Recent Microsoft Updates to Windows 10 will disable the SMB1.0/CIFS option. First thing to check, when the My Cloud disappears from Windows File Explorer, is to ensure the SMB1.0/CIFS option is enabled.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10

Some users are reporting that after the last Windows 10 update (Build 2004) they had to update the My Cloud Driver entry in the Device Manager. Opening the Device Manager, locate the WDMyCloud entry (may be under Western Digital NAS or some indicate under Software Devices), right click on the entry and select Update driver.

Example Device Manager (Windows 10 Build 1909), your screen may look different:

Did you just re-install the existing driver or get a new one through windows update (this usually just gives you “the best driver is already installed”).

The reference here is to single bay - I have a 2 bay device, mirrored. Are the instructions the same?

Hi Benor,
yep, I have been through all the usual things on windows as I did last time. All to no effect. I believe last time someone at WD support remotely upgraded the firmware or remotely sent a patch and that was the fix.

Some how WD needs to sort this out. This has been going on for nearly a year now.

Generally when the single bay/single drive My Cloud is operating properly, i.e., front LED is blue, My Cloud Dashboard is accessable then one should be able to use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to access the local network My Cloud.

Generally when one cannot access the My Cloud yet it’s front LED is blue it comes down to a couple of main issues, most of which do not involve the My Cloud.

1. Make sure SMB1.0/CIFS is enabled in Windows. Microsoft disables this setting in recent updates or new installs.
  2. Check or temporarily disable any firewall software on the computer. Certain third party security programs may limit/block access to network devices.
  3. Make sure the Windows Network Type is set to Private and not Public.
  4. Make sure all devices use the same Workgroup name and are all in the same IP address subnet range.
  5. In certain rare cases one’s router may isolate WiFi clients so check the router administration settings to ensure network isolation or client isolation isn’t enabled.
  6. One can manually update the My Cloud firmware to the latest version for their single bay/single drive version. See My Cloud | Western Digital Product Support Note there are two different versions so make sure to use the right firmware for your version.
  7. Make sure the My Cloud is either assigned/reserved an IP address using the router administration page. Or one can set a static IP address (that isn’t used by another network device) in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network section.
  8. If one can access the My Cloud Dashboard, the Settings > Utilities > System Only restore will reset the My Cloud options/settings to default. In some cases this will fix certain access issues.
  9. If one has modified the My Cloud OS in any way using SSH, try rolling back those changes or updates and see if the issues persist.
  10. Avoid using a Powerline adapter or other devices to connect a My Cloud to a router. Instead connect the My Cloud directly to the router.
1 Like