Wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd woes (slooooooow copying speeds)

Hi, I, like many others, have experienced extreme performance degradation as long as the daemons wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd are running. And they seem to run all the time.

I have found instructions here on how to temporarily or permanently disable these services, and indeed, the performance gets back to what is expected.

Now, before I permanently kill the services, I would like to know what the consequences could be. I suppose the deamons are there for a reason… I hope some clerver person can explain.

(BTW I do not use the media servers, DLNA, Twonky etc)

Thanks in advance

Claus

The first one is associated with cloud services, and is part of the ‘secret sauce’ that makes the openvpn tunnel to the WD server farm work. The second one generates thumbnails from images on the disk for the cloud remote web interface.

If you use your MyCloud like a generic NAS, these services do not give any added value. Since most power users are going to think of the remote cloud functionality as a gimmick, they more often than not wish these services were not running anyway, and will happily and promptly disable them.

Depending on what you use your device for, doing so may or may not be desirable.

Thanks for the explanation. I am not using the remote cloud services - I have teamviewer, so it is much easier to connect to my home computer, grab the files I need from the NAS, and load them to another, well functioning cloud service, like dropbox, and after a short while I can have the files on my “remote” computer.
I will permanently disable the two services and see how it goes. Without them the disk works as I wanted it to in the first place.

I just ordered a EX2 Ultra (16GB) which arrives tomorrow. I guess that one too has these daemons running. So, I guess I know what my first task will be :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Claus

Personally, I would suggest as a first task, the generation of new, PROPER elliptical curve based SSH keys, instead of the baked in Diffie Helmann ones…

But you can totally do both at the same time. :stuck_out_tongue: