WD20EZRX 2TB does not show in Disk management in WIndows XP but in ROM detects

Hi,
I have system with
Processor: core 2 quad q9650
Motherboard: Intel dg33fb mother
Ram: 4GB

I have dual operating system Windows Xp pro 32 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit operating system installed. I bought a WD 2tb hard drive for storage. First I install it on windows 7 and setup it with 4 equal partitions and its working fine. Now my problem is that when I boot into windows XP it is not showing the new hard drive and also not showing in Disk Manager. I try to format and partitioned the Drive with Windows XP setup CD. On Windows 7 it works fine and not in XP. I tried everything but no success run all the utilities by WD.Help please…

waqaskhanjee,

Since the partitions work fine on Microsoft Windows 7, then I am inclined to believe your disk drive is using GPT partitioning, which is not supported by Microsoft Windows XP.

JStaff wrote:

waqaskhanjee,

Since the partitions work fine on Microsoft Windows 7, then I am inclined to believe your disk drive is using GPT partitioning, which is not supported by Microsoft Windows XP.

I want to know the process of installing this drive on windows xp. Kindly send me whole process from installation to partition. I have tried everthing but no success.

And for your information I select the MBR partitioning in Windows 7.

Hi,

Did i need to set jumper of Advance Format Drive WD20EZRX to 7-8 to install the drive in windows xp. Any suggestions please 

waqaskhanjee

My mainboard, an MSI G31M3 V2 Series (MS-7529 v1.x), has 4 SATAII ports. According to mainboard’s specifications, it has “2 SATA II ports by ICH7” and “supports 4 SATA II devices”. The primary HD, where the OS is running, was connected to SATA port 1, and the secondary HD connected to SATA port 2. In that way the secondary HD was detected by BIOS but not by device manager. So, the secondary HD didn’t exist logically speaking. I transferred the secondary HD’s connection from port 2 to port 3 and everything worked perfectly! I don’t know but perhaps my solution could be applied to your problem. Good luck.

Dmerces

Dmerces,

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I have found that same solution you mention. This is what happening with me.

I have 4 sata ports which are 

SATA port 0            320 GB OS Drive  

SATA port 1            1 TB WD Green

SATA port 4            2 TB WD Green (which is not showing in Device Manager)

SATA port 5            Empty

I have 1 IDE port as well which are populated by a 250GB HDD and DVD ROM , and I think board considered these drives as  SATA port 2 and Sata port 3.   I think because in my board there is a option call Use IDE as SATA  somthing like that.

Now the problem is when I swap the drives of SATA port 1 and SATA port 4  suggested by WD Support,   I first time install my 2 TB on   Windows XP but now my old 1 TB Green  is not showing in Device Manager as like its not exist. Now I will check it with SATA port 5. Let me know if you have any suggestion please… 

Thanks

Sorry for my delay. Busy days! According to your post, logically there are 6 SATA ports but your motherboard supports only 4 serial ATA channels. Something seems to be wrong. I’ve been taking a look in your mainboard manual and HDD specs. So, here ara my suggestions:

1. Override Serial ATA and IDE Auto Configuration. Set it to manual configuration in the BIOS Setup and configure exactly 4 channels. Test and evaluate the results. If doesn’t work, keep manual and tray this …

2. Disconnect all HDD. Connect XP HDD in the channel 0 and your WD20EZRX in the channel 3.

Let me know the results.

Regards.