WD TV Youtube not working

It was working with the current firmware until the 16th. There is no reason to think it requires new firmware.

we shall see

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your reply. I want to share my very recent experience with my WD TV medial player after upgrade the latest vesion 1.03.07. the day i was upgrade the youtube leanback was workimg fine then the nextday it stopped working and getting the page is not available error. i was trying all possible troubleshoot like reboot, factory reset and als tried to downgrade firmware failed failed.

However what i found is if turn the wd tv media player power on and leave it for more than 2 - 3 hour
and then try youtube leanback ,and it start working but if you turn off & on the device and then try open youtube the same error message appear.

very unusal, is’n it.

Now convince me if I am wrong , as you said we should blame google, i do not understand why. as the device made my WD, they shpuld be responsible to make their firmware compatible with google NOT google will be resposible as the media player is not their product first of all. second thing, as same youtube is working in all other device and medial player EXCEPT WD than should we blame google for not playing in WD device?

WD should test the new firmware before released it for users and they are responsible to make the device working as promised and as expected.

I upgraded to the new firmware the day it was released … 20th April 2016 and Youtube Leanback had been working FINE all that time up until a couple of days ago.

Ok, i will give that a try … EDIT after 3 Hours Youtube still does Not Work.

Will post if it works

Blame whoever you like … but the fact is Youtube and other sites change API’s, Encryption Layers / Protocols which can break compatibility with “SOME” media players (it happened last year with ABC iView app before they (ABC) dropped support altogether for WDTV media players and a couple other devices)

YouTube publishes an API and services that others can connect to, and promises to maintain that API compatibility until they announce it’s being retired. WD has a responsibility to only use the API as published and documented.

The firmware has been working fine, for weeks upon weeks, for everyone, including most people in this thread. Then it stopped, without everyone doing a firmware update. That is a fairly strong indication that the firmware is not to blame. Firmware issues tend to show up immediately upon the firmware upgrade, not a month later, and on the same day for everyone.

The app is made by YouTube, not by WD. It’s just a webpage, go look at it ( YouTube TV ) and they update it constantly. Do you have a smartphone? Ever noticed how often the YT app is updated on that? Because the TV one is changed at least as often, and they’ve broken it before although not this badly or for this long.

And nobody said “blame Google”, we said, report it there too because if YT have broken their app, the more people who report it to them the more seriously they’ll take it. And if they haven’t, and it really is WD’s fault, you’re already on this thread, where the same applies.

Slightly off-topic …
but funny thing, the Youtube app on my Raspberry Pi 3 (Kodi) stopped working a few week ago …
Easy fix though … signed up as a Google Developer, created a Project and got my own Personal API Keys (apparently, the Public API keys for Kodi had expired … or something like that)
Anyways, all fixed :slight_smile:

P.S. no, i did not blame the Kodi Development Team :wink:

ok … connected my WDTV Media Player (9PM Sunday June19th 2016)
will wait 3 Hours and check Youtube again at 12PM Midnight

1 Like

I use YouTube on my WD TV almost everyday, i was heartbroken when i turned it on a few days ago and got the same msg all of you got, i don’t think I’ll be able to live without it :sob:

Ok, I think I will go for Chromecast if WD TV does not react on Monday.

Nope (i tested it tonite}… Youtube still Does Not Work after leaving the WDTV for more than 2 -3 Hours … so much for that :confounded:

if you’re into casting stuff from your phone (which is what you’ll be doing with a Chromecast) … maybe give the WDTV’s Miracast feature a crack … if it works, then you can cast Youtube from your Phone / Tablet to the WDTV

Hi,

I opened a support case ticket about this problem on the WD support portal. So, I recommend to you to open a case ticket too.

1 Like

Hello! I have troubles in Norway too with YouTube app. I have hooked up a wireless keyboard, and got it “workin” with this keybord, but very limited. Have to use Tab button to choose where to input text. But this is the ordinary YouTube Web page. Hope it can help until they YouTube or WD fixes it

1 Like

Hi Zoltan,

That is a very good idea! I just opened a ticket as well, thanks for the link.

I just called WD Support and she told me I need to rollback firmware to 1.01.30. Here is the link: WD TV Live Hub Media Center, Streaming and Media Player: Rollback Firmware

GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

Hi.
Did this issue issue not resolved? Please need your support…

Well, whaddya know … that actually worked ! Youtube Leanback Working :scream:

Just out of curiosity i then upgraded back to 1.03.07 … and, nope Youtube Leanback Not Working

So i guess everyone should try rolling back to a 12 month old previous firmware

This is my firmware rollback guide that i follow … CLICK ME

Hi, is there also a rollback solution for firmwareversion 2.03.20 ?

Yes

Funny thing though, WD don’t host the link to the previous version (which has 2.02.32) on the Firmware Rollback webpage

They only give a link to 2.01.86 … which you can follow my GUIDE here ← click

EDIT
but from a quick google search i found it … http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_2.02.32.zip

BUT … you will need to EDIT wdtvlivegen3.ver for it to work as “Rollback Firmware”

from this …
VERSION=‘2.02.32’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivegen3.bi2’

to this …
VERSION=‘4.02.32’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivegen3.bi2’

Once again I checked my firmware version:
You are running the latest version 2.03.20 says the WD TV Live Player.

If you read the posts here above mine, you will see that there are a lot users that have the same firmware-version on the device and the YouTube-App that does not work since June 2016-17.

So, thats why I asked for a rollback- solution for this version…