WD TV Youtube not working

Apologies … i got it now :wink:

2.03.20 — is the Latest WDTV Live Streaming Firmware
2.02.32 — is the Previous Version which WD have removed all download links to on the WD Site
2.01.86 — is the Only Official Previous Version they offer a Rollback Firmware link to

So, as per my post above … there are 2 Firmware Choices for Rolling Back to, choice is either 2.02.32 [August 14th 2014] or 2.01.86 [October 13th 2013]

i will also add … can’t guarantee you’ll get Youtube working again by rolling back firmware on the WDTV Live Streaming

But it did work for the WDTV Media Player (2014)

1 Like

Thanks for your fast reply.
I think I have a solution (for me: I Buy an Apple TV 4 and hope that there is a good working YouTube-App on it, because I need it every day)

How’s your Youtube now?

My wd tv live streaming can not find the firmware on the USB memory. I have tried every type of process, but should not be. Never will buy more WD product throughout life.

Happy news: The YT app is currently working as normal, business as usual on the WDTV Live SMP, without a firmware downgrade.

1 Like

Can confirm it’s working on the WDTV Media Player Firmware 1.03.07

All this downgrading firmware, people throwing the wdtv in the garbage, people buying atv’s etc

Could all be avoided if there was a announcement from either WD or Youtube along the lines of … “We are aware of the problem and are currently working to resolve the issue … thank you for your patience”

But instead, we were told nothing.

2 Likes

Also in Italy youtube restart today.
Mah…

Because we knew nothing. We were just looking into it when it resolved itself. It may have been that Youtube didn’t know either. Sorry…

The outage lasted for roughly 3-4 days … i assumed it was a long enough period of time for a support acknowledgement from anyone. (wasn’t blaming WD) Sorry…

1 Like

:smile:

I’m sorry to revive an old thread but I’m stuck and aggrevated. I haven’t used Youtube in months and now I see I have the black screen which I can exit. Since I last watched Youtube I’ve had to have both my WD NAS and my wireless router repaired. I can play movies from my NAS over the wireless network. I’ve tried unplugging the WDTV Live power for over 5 minutes. I’m on version 02.01.86. My Youtube icon has a black background. The words “You Tube” are white. There is a red screen around the word “tube”. I haven’t tried a factory reset because I’m not sure which version it would revert to. Can anyone suggest the next steps to try?

PS - My venting. . . Just had 2 WD external drives crash both bought 3 years ago so maybe that could be expected but almost lost my data including my music collection. My WD NAS just had to be repaired and it’s only 1 year old. Also almost lost my movie collection. The WDTV Live has been nothing but a quirky pain since I bought it. To replace my external drives I’ve gone to a different manufacturer. No more WD!!!

Update from my above post. Today I received a call from WD saying they saw my issue and created a ticket for it. They left a voicemail saying they would try to call one more time, they emailed me instructions to upgrade my firmware to 02.03.20. I did that using the wireless firmware update function. My YouTube is now leanback and it works. The WD tech also helped me set-up a custom home page with only the icons I wanted. This was something I’ve wanted for a while but never got around to. In my above post I did not mention I used to have movies freeze then unfreeze and fast forward but it had gone away until the last week or two. That belongs on another thread but hopefully the upgrade will resolve that issue too. I’m very happy WD read my post and took initiative to create a ticket. I really appreciate that!

1 Like

Yes, when they intervene due to criticism on here, they tend to be very good. Still though, I can’t help thinking you almost need a Phd sometimes, getting streaming right and keeping it so. I do think I am conversant with most glitches by now. I had to devote two hours tho’ this week, after Windows update gave me the latest Windows, the so-called Anniversary version - which is great but I thought - uh-oh, lets see if (WDTV) sharing is still in place, and of course it wasn’t! I am back and forward if it’s bad for anything up to two hours, trying everything I know. Which is sufficient, but it seems to be have to reset over and over before it ‘takes,’ if you know what I mean. To be fair to WD, this time I think it was all Windows.
Strangely, nothing worked until out of desperation I added the further user “everyone” to Windows sharing ('cos had it prior to update). Normally not necessary if self (administrator), and pc, and every other ‘sharer’ listed, is both ‘read and write,’ with full control. But this time couldn’t give ‘full control’ to each and every one, as ‘greyed out’ for some reason. So without the addition of a new sharer, ‘everyone,’ it would have remained stuck. Shucks!
I’ve been looking at this HDD business myself, and NAS, and you know what? I came to the conclusion that maybe three simple, good, 5tb HDD’s, all separate, rather than any NAS, was the way to go. As three separate HDD’s are not expensive really, today, and of course they can’t all fail, can they? Ha,ha,ha!

Hi, ohnow! You can write how you made youtube working?

It is impossible to create a support request, so I am here!

Youtube is not working!

I bought a WD TV only to see youtube, because now use is not possible, then WD TV become absolutely useless to me. Help me solve a problem or provide as another device on which I will be able to use Youtube.

SN: [Deleted]

I really hope this will be monitored. Since my Sept '16 post my box has worked with the normal glitches where you have to unplug and re-plug in the main power or it can’t find the network server so you have to re-attach it. I watched YouTube videos 1/21/17. I left the unit on like usual. The next morning I tried to watch a network movie and Netflix and both had the same issue where it takes forever to load then has to re-load over and over. I checked my wireless network speed from my laptop using ookla and it was 70mbps-90mbps. I’ve tried every trick I know except resetting the router since the speed test was ok and I’ve had bad experiences resetting in the past. My software version is the same and I have updates turned off. In the last 2 months I have had several laptop issues from two manufacturers that were connected to my wireless network. The last laptop change was 1/18/17. Since I couldn’t get the box to work on 1/22, I turned it off and forgot about it so it was off a day. It then worked on 1/19-1/23. Now today it’s again having to buffer. It’s been unplugged overnight a couple times in the last few days. What can I do next?

Today…

strong textThe YouTube app on this device is no longer available
YouTube has ended its support for this app and it is no longer available on this device. (more blabla…)

Try to download the latest YT app on your device. Hope, your problem will be solved…

You can’t download apps to a WDTV device.

Apps are installed and updated via Firmware released by Western Digital … which stopped happening years ago.