WD TV Live HD Media Player - Videos not working

Hi everyone,

I have had a few issues at times with my WD TV live HD Media player but I am now stuck after trying for the past 12 hours trying to fix it. To start with I was on the latest firmware (1.06.43_V)

This morning I went to try and play a video file but the blue wheel just kept spinning and nothing happened. I tried resetting the unit and trying other files but same issue. Of concern it seemed to affect any music files I tried playing. It would just go to the blue spinning wheel and nothing. It would even go to screen saver mode.

I tried doing all the things that worked in the past, unplugging the unit, resetting it and restoring to factory defaults before deciding to try downgrading. I have now tried every firmware before 6.43 but nothing seems to fix the issue. I tried 

1.04.31_V and the music was working. However when I tried video I would get past the blue spinning wheel but…after about 30 seconds it would cut the video and either stop or I had to return to the main menu. On a couple of occassions it would keep playing but it would return to the main menu saying it was an unsupported file. I could hear it however and when I tried playing the file it would be playing with the blue spinning wheel on screen as well.

I have really run out of ideas as to what else to do to fix it. As I said I have tried all the usual ways and downgrading. Any other ideas? 

Thanks

Hello, the files that you are trying to play, where are they located? If you are using an external memory or hard drive, have you tried playing the files from a different location? 

1 Like

Sorry forgot to mention I have tried from both a network share location and also a usb drive and same situation. It starts playing for about 20 seconds before stopping. Its like the player crashes.

Hi again, sorry for the delay, have you tried powercycling the WDTV? Disconnecting the power cable for 15/20 seconds and then connecting it again?

I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in but no luck. I also tried the reset button and restore to factory defaults but no luck there either

Just so you have all the information, here is what happens. Lets say I have a video or music file on a usb thumb drive. I go to the file its located and select it. It does one of two things. 1st and most common occurance is it will play for a few seconds then the screen will go to black. The status bar will either have no times whatsoever or it will remain as both timecodes are at 00:00:00. After going to black it will stay like that for a few seconds before a screen saying Unable to play the selected  file. Please see the user Manual for a list of supported file formats. However its an MP4 and I have played it just fine in the past. The other night I was able to get it working briefly. 

The second option is the blue wheel keeps circling after it crashes out and won’t start or do anything. But recently the 1st method is the most common one.

Well I am not sure why its doing this but I found out the reason it was not working, the network connection. For some reason when I unplugged the LAN connection, it all started to work. The USB i had connected had some files and I was able to play them jus tfine but…when I reconnected the lan connection it went back to not being able to play the files or crashing when they started. And that was with the same files. 

I also had to keep the rolled back version of 4.22, the 6.43 didn’t work with or without the lan connected. So its not exactly the solution I was looking for but it is what is :frowning: Sad but I guess thats the end