WD TV Doesn´t recognize the WD hard drive

Hi I recently bought one WD TV model WDBPUF0000NBK-EESN and one WD Element Basic Storage model WDBWLG0020HBK-EESN.
I connected the hard drive to the media player, and it does not recognize the hard drive, inside the options appears a message that there is not external usb connected to the media player.

I tried with other hard drive that I have at home and and the beggining it worked, but after I updated it in my computer, the hard drive was not recognized.

I am remembering that in both cases, when I connected the hard drive to my computer appears a message that hard drive was wrong and Windows neeeds to fix it.

Windows did it and I could update some videos without problems.

Thanks a lot for your support.

You may have to run CHKDSK on your hard drive to repair the unit’s file system. If that does not work you may have to format it in order to clean the volume.

Thank you it Works!

Hi,

I see this issue come up a lot on this forum and I have it too: “Content source not found. The previously selected content source has been disconnected.”

But it’s NOT disconnected. It is connected just as it always has been.

I’ve tried various things, including unplugging the WD Media Server and my external hard drive (WD Passport 4TB).

The drive has worked in the past and I’ve gotten the error in the past but have gotten past it. This time, however, nothing seems to work.

The hard drive can be read without problems on all other devices. I would run CHKDSK and reformat it if I thought it might help, but the process would take many hours (especially since it took me about seven hours to copy my media files over and reformatting would destroy them all). In any case, I don’t think the drive is the problem, as only the WD Media Server can’t read it.

Shall I do a factory reset? That’s one thing I haven’t tried yet. I’m on the verge of returning the unit and looking elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Dan

Check your sharing in Windows (if your drive is not plugged into the unit directly). I find that as a matter of course, now and then, without me doing anything, the sharing switches off (possibly after Norton, Windows updates or system scans). It’s easy to check this Windows sharing and rule it out.
To do it, go to the files you are sharing, right-click them, and even if they appear to be sharing, never mind but choose ‘homegroup, view and edit’ - anyway. Because if what has happened to you is a failure for Windows to share, you will need to actively go into this to kick Windows back into sharing. More likely to be the culprit is this. Right-click each folder you are sharing and bring up ‘properties.’ Examine all the sharing options on the two tabs ‘sharing’ and ‘security.’ In ‘advanced’ on these tabs, you will need to set ‘read and write,’ not just ‘read.’ As likely as not, that will be where the problem lies. As well as the aforementioned, in Control Panel/HomeGroup, click ‘change what you are sharing with the homegroup’ and let it populate, and you will see whether it is recognising WDTV. Also click ‘allow all devices on this network as well as TVs and game consoles to play my shared content.’

I had the same issue. After transferring all my media onto another hard drive, I formatted the 6TB WD External hard drive and reloaded all my media onto it and it worked.