WD Sync is showing "mycloud" is missing?

After updating mycloud firmware WD sync is showing “mycloud is missing”! I tried removing and re-adding sync folder to WD sync but it did not solve the problem.

I am using

1. windows 10 with latest update.
  2. I don’t have smartware because it can’t find mycloud as backup target

Updating the firmware on the My Cloud from what version to what version?

Firmware Version 04.04.03-113 to 04.04.04-101

Can you reach the My Cloud in Windows 10 using Windows File Explorer? Can you reach the My Cloud Dashboard using a web browser in Windows 10?

Yes I can reach the My Cloud in Windows 10 using Windows File Explorer and Dashboard using a web browser in Windows 10.
Thanks

Have you tried uninstalling WD Sync then reinstalling it?

Thank you very much Bennor it solved the problem :smile:
But would you please take look at the below problem again if you can help me?

Try the uninstall/reinstall trick with that…?

Or change to a more reliable backup utility than the WD supplied ones. You can use any one you like; it doesn’t have to be WD.

The uninstall/install does work-BUT only for a little while.
I have had WDSync for a while now and it keeps getting stuck in “mycloud is missing”.
It would be nice to have a permanent fix for this.
It becomes somewhat tedious having to keep unistalling/installing WDSync.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Do what some others have done. Uninstall WD Sync, clean up any folders it’s uninstaller fails to remove, then use a third party sync program like Free File Sync (http://www.freefilesync.org/). The downside to third party sync programs is the inability to sync to the My Cloud from a remote location.

If installing Free File Sync make sure to reach each installer screen carefully and uncheck the extra programs (from OpenCandy) it may ask to install.

I have the same problem , I need to restart the device then it will work how we can solve it without 3rd party ???

Has anyone ever heard back from Support on how to fix this problem, or if they are going to fix this. I have plans for this device, but only if it can do the remove sync they claim it can do… So far it is just gathering dust not working.

I get the same, it is setup with a static ip, but over the last 3 weeks I keep getting the “device is missing” message. I have rebooted my pc with no effect, rebooted my rooter, with no effect.

The only way to get it working again is to do the 4 sec reset.

But then it connects and starts to sync, but then it is missing again for about 10 minutes then starts to sync again, then missing again.

Really getting fed up now.

[deleted for privacy]

do you any idea how to solve this problem with missing cloud, wd support cannot help us at all, we paid for this device and we want to use it.

@ADRIAN_IONITA

You could try this article and see if it helps.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=17215

I was having the same problem where it was initially showing ‘mycloud is missing’.

I’ve since followed the instructions in the link you posted and when I am now attempting to set up it states ‘unable to connect to the remote server’

This message means that your internal or upstream DNS servers cannot resolve the unique ID of your My Cloud.
BTW: I would suggest to delete the picture

After using WDSync for months, a few days ago the “MyCloud is missing” error occurred. Read through the many helpful posts and tried fixes such as uninstalling / reinstalling WDSync, with no success. Remove the MyCloud device and then could not add it back. Changed network settings to use Google public DNS servers. New error message from WDSync: “The remote name could not be resolved.”
Thanks for any pointers to fixing this one.

Try these steps to see which hostname can’t resolve.
Normally it’s the My Cloud unique name

My Cloud Unique ID

Obtain the My Cloud device’s Unique ID using the My Cloud device’s IP address. The Unique ID will be used to validate remote access from the remote location.

Open a web browser
Enter the IP Address of the My Cloud device preceded by https://

https://ipaddressofmycloud

Click Advanced or OK depending on the browser being used
Copy and save the device's Unique ID

EXAMPLE:

device1234567-12345678.wd2go.com
device1234567-12345678-local.wd2go.com

Remote Computer - Domain Name Resolution

Open the browser to the online DNS Lookup Tool DNS Lookup Tool - DNS Tools - MxToolbox or open a command prompt on the computer being used for remote access and check name resolution and traceroute to the following online resources Failure of DNS lookup can result in failed remote access to the My Cloud device.

nslookup mycloud.com
nslookup www.wd2go.com
nslookup discovery.wd2go.com
nslookup wd.com
nslookup device1234567-12345678.wd2go.com
nslookup device1234567-12345678-local.wd2go.com

tracert (Windows) or traceroute (macOS) mycloud.com
tracert (Windows) or traceroute (macOS) wd.com
tracert (Windows) or traceroute (macOS) discovery.wd2go.com
tracert (Windows) or traceroute (macOS) device1234567-12345678.wd2go.com
tracert (Windows) or traceroute (macOS) device1234567-12345678-local.wd2go.com

Hello, Thank you for the reply and information.

The unique ID for the MyCloud is device4668754-c08f361c.wd2go.com
http://device4668754-c08f361c.wd2go.com/

The nslookup and tracert commands all executed without error or complaint.
The nslookup returned a lot of cdns01.comcast.net answers

After posting my question, I messed around with the network settings using
the Dashboard. Tried static, and then went back to using DNS. No longer
getting the “remote name cannot resolved” error, now back to the “unable to
connect to the remote server” error.

Thank you for your assistance, Eric Krotkov