WD SmartWare Pro now asking me to activate, AGAIN!

Rebooted PC today and Activation AOK.  First time in several days that activation was not lost.  Hoping the problem is now permanently resolved. 

Would like to see feedback from WD.

Yes, thank goodness. Been up now since yesterday so, as you say, I hope its fixed.

Doesn’t appear to be fixed yet.  Still occurs after the computer restarts.  Asks for code/email, then errors out.

4/14/14 - 11:30am CDT

Rebooted PC and ACTIVATION IS LOST AGAIN !!!  

Attempted to activate with code/email …and after a long wait  - I received the Activation Result of  “There was an error trying to validate your activation code.  Please try again later”.

Loss of activation (for me) started last Thursday…and I had hoped it was resolved yesterday because a reboot did not result in loss of activation.  But problem is back today.  I have an open case number with WD…but have not received any feedback on this forum (after several requests) or via email or telephone.

Update 4/14/14 - 12:25pm CDT

Called WD and referenced my case number.  I was asked to uninstall/reinstall WD Smartware Pro from PC #2.  (Reminder - PC  #1 with WD PRO and same OS has been OK because it has not been rebooted.

I was asked to reboot PC #1 to see if activation was lost.  I rebooted PC #1 and opened WD Smartware Pro…at first it looked OK…but a bit later it LOST ACTIVATION…and attempt to Activate failed.

On PC #2 - I uninstalled and reinstalled WD Smartware Pro as requested…updated it to 2.3.0 and attempted activation and the attempt to Activate failed.

WD rep verified that my code was correct and ask me to call back in 24 hours if problem continued.

Now I have two PC’s running WD Smartware Pro 2.3.0 that will not activate.

Update 4/14/14 1:45pm CDT

PC # 2 - After activation attempt following uninstall/reinstall of WD PRO, I rebooted  and WD Pro was activated.  No action by me other than a reboot.

On PC #1 - After rebooting as a test to see if Activateion would be lost (it was), several attempts to reactivate failed. PC #1 was rebooted and a message in task bar showd on screen that the 30-day free trial was over and Activation was required.  I opened WD Pro and it was Activated.  No action by me other than the reboot.

Both PC’s now Activated. 

Blimey. Run SmartWare again tonight and it wants me to activate it again!!! What is going on?

This time, however, it prompted me to enter my first and last name and my email address. It accepted all and has now activated. Been here before, last time it lasted over 24 hours. 

I also had an email responce from WD telling me my issue had been passed to a higher depatment for furher investigation. Lets hope.

I am seriously thinking of selling this and buying a Synology DS214+ instead. 

We are looking into this.  However, we will need to get further information from those of you that are willing.  Each of you will be contacted by Support by private message.  Please respond.

This is now happening on both my laptop and desktop PC’s. This morning after restarting my desktop and starting up my laptop I checked the SmartWare. I checked it first on my laptop and saw the Update to SmartWare Pro and then I checked it on my desktop and saw the same thing. After entering my code and email address on both I received the message, unable to verify your code, try again later.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

I have ordered a Synology DS214+ and 2 WD Red 3TB HDD. 

Going to sell my  WD MyCloud.

This is a continuation of my post #28. I just checked SmartWare on my desktop and entered my name and email address in the pop up. After doing this it was confirmed and the message to Update to SmartWare Pro was removed.

I turned on my laptop and opened up SmartWare and the Update to SmartWare Pro was gone. I take it that when I entered my info on my desktop and it was confirmed it corrected it on my laptop too. My desktop was where I first downloaded and installed the WD SmartWare and entered my SmartWare Pro Code when I got it.

I will see how long it last this time.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Its gone again.

I am really missing my software,

I have tried clicking on buttons to register it - even though I have already registered it several times before - but it is still having an error validating my activation code.

It asks me to try later, so I do, but its still the same. Just how much later can I be?

Is it something I’ve said? I’ve fed it all the right bits, given it fresh hard discs, even cleaned out its cache but no luck.

Did it notice that I had looked at other (working, reliable ) software on my tablet and is it offended and hurt and just sulking?

Who knows?

Perhaps someone at WD could tell us all whats going on? - An update in reply to the support tickes many of us have submitted for example.

I am hopeful of a resolution if only because it works occasionally, which perhaps means that someone is trying to fix it. Sadly thats not enough because backups are there for the security of the users data and something that is only a safety net occasionally is worse than useless.

How do I get a refund?

Upgraded a week ago and activated no problem. Now WD SmartWare Pro is asking me to buy and activate again. This is the third time; what’s going on? Groundhog Day!

Set up a case query and received the stock reply with standard support suggestions; still waiting for something meaningful!

My shiney new Synology DS214+ and two WD 3.0TB RED NAS HDDs were delivered today.

I will mothball the MyCloud for now with a view to sell some time.

Update 4/16/2014 - 4:40pm CDT

As previously promised by WD on this thread, I received a call today from a very nice and knowlegeable WD representative who was quick to apologize for the “Loss of Activation” problem.  He assured me WD was working on the problems. 

His request/action was to retrieve several WD Smartware 2.3.0 log files from PC # 2 which Lost activation after a reboot this morning.  Later, we attempted Activation by entering code/email and Activation was successful after about a minute or so after clicking OK.

Activation was not lost on PC #1 today following a reboot.  (Both PC’s are Win 7 32-bit).

I have noticed that once activation is lost and regained… settings return to the default state - as if the sofware had been reinstalled.  My back-up settings were lost - No folders were selected.  File history was 5 (default) and I had set it to 3.  The schedule of backup frequency was also lost and Backup showed as Disabled.

I am encouraged by today’s call and hope the problems can be resolved soon.  Thanks to the WD rep. 

I started having this same issue a couple of days ago. I tried the usual of uninstalling the program and do a reinstall

but with the same results. Most of the time it will not let me activate the program, giving the “There was an error trying to validate your activation code. Pleae try again later”

I have also tried turning off my anti-virus and firewall during activation with no change in results.

I did open a case, but the email reply was to call in and ask for level 2 support. Since WD seems to be aware of the problem I am not sure what good it would do to call if they do not have a solution yet.

Easter is over, the bunnies and the eggs have gone …AND SO HAS THE ACTIVATION OF NOT-SO-SMARTWARE AGAIN!!

Really guys this is beyond a joke now.

I had a nice phone call from a support person called David. His number displayed as ‘International;’  on my phone and since calls like that are usually selling me shares in a gold mine/lama farm/secret sauce recipe  I didn’t answer it. Bit like buying software from WD really. Promises lots of good stuff. Evaporates after a month

His followup email had a few suggestions and I have reinstalled the software, rebuilt the backup plans. It authorised ok… My machine took 36 hours to catch up on the backups

Now its back to asking me to authorise it again as if nothing had happened.This kinda makes me think the problem isnt at my end…

Back-up software its only really effective when it works. Its an insurance policy, a safety net, a failsafe. I do not expect to have to check it every few hours to see if its working.

Can someone at WD post here and tell us all whats going on.

Hmmm - I seem to have this issue.  Happy to contribute any logs etc to help get it sorted.

Mike

20:59 21 April 2014

NEWS!!!

Smartware Pro has RE-ACTIVATED!!

How long for?       I don’t know.

Has it done any backups?     Don’t know.

Can I rely on it?        No.

Am I totally [deleted] with it?    YES.

It’s happened to me at least 3 times. Not sure what I did to get it working again. I entered the validation codes and sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. It’s annoying. Currently I’m waiting to validate and I’m getting the error.

OK… I am sick of this software now… I am sick of having the failed activations… been trying all afternoon to reactivate and it will not work… 

Can anybody recommend some decent backup software that works!

I may just go back to using my olde Memeo backup… it was slow but at least it always worked… 

This is now beyond a joke

Stuart