WD Smartware not backing up new files and edited files

Can anyone help with solutions to get this WD Smartware software to work properly?

This software seems to have major development issues because the software program will not back up new files and edited files to my backup folders in the WD SmartWare.swstor folder on the external drive after the first full backup. I am now backing up new files and edited files by coping and pasting over to the WD SmartWare.swstor folder, which makes the WD Smartware software pointless to have on my PC. The only way to get WD Smartware to backup new files and edited files is to uninstall and re-install the software. However, that “fix” only works the first time after re-install and then it is the same backup issues again, which is that the software is unable to find newly created files or newly edited files in the folders for which I have selected in the file directory for backup.

The information below is what I sent to WD Support.

–I am running WD Smartware version 2.4.12 on my HP desktop PC (Windows 7 Professional - SP1) to back up files to a WD My Book 4 TB External HDD. I am using a USB 3.0 port so backup, when working, is fast. The WD Smartware software worked fine for initial setup and did a fast initial backup of all “my documents”, “my pictures”, “my music,” and “my videos” to a WD SmartWare.swstor folder on the external drive. However, this software is not backing up the changes I have made to existing documents inside folders nor is the software backing up new documents, such as .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, that have been added to existing folders. I use “File Backup,” I “check” the specific handful of folders in the file directory on the “Backup” tab, click the “Apply Changes” button, and then click the “Enable Backup.” Backup should take less than a minute since I am only selecting the folders on my C: drive that I have recently made changes to, such as editing documents and adding new documents, and since I am using a USB 3.0 port. A repeated problem is that WD Smartware software cannot seem to find the updated and new files to backup but will continuously run with “Copying Files” bar active on the “Backup” tab. When I look in my backup folders within the WD SmartWare.swstor folder on the external WD My Book drive, absolutely no changes have been made to my backup folders. New documents were not added and the new versions of existing documents have not been backed up. Please, Please read this fully. I know how to setup the WD Smartware software and run a “File Backup.” This software has major development issues because the software program will not find the folders on PC’s C: drive and back up the new documents and changes to existing documents to my backup folders in the WD SmartWare.swstor folder on the external drive after the initial backup of all “my documents”, “my pictures”, “my music,” and “my videos”.–

I found this WD Topic thread, “WD SmartWare v. 2.2.0 does not backup new Folders/files unless you rename it” started in October 2013. I am having exactly the same issues currently with Smartware version 2.4.12.as many WD Smartware users described two years ago. So, after over two years of this backup issue, has WD taken any steps to solve this problem in their Smartware software?

Hello,

I recommend you contact WD support directly for assistance with this issue.

I have been having the same problem for a few months - I think the problem arose after a recent software update. It had worked fine for at least 1.5 years in continuous backup mode prior to that. As you said, it works once after uninstalling and reinstalling but would not do subsequent incremental backup. Every time after reboot, the drive remains locked (ie the auto unlock feature wasn’t working).

So, today I finally decided to remove the password lock feature (run WD Security) and it now seems to backup OK.

When you say to run WD Security to remove the password lock feature, what exactly do you mean? Is this done in the Smartware software. I installed an update at the end of January and am having the problem described in this thread. Any help would be appreciated because WD has not responded to my support case which I filed over 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.

I have just bought a couple of My Passport Ultra for the specific purpose of backing up data\files that change every two minutes. Spreadsheets which are modified or updated continuously, pdf’s added continuously. I installed Smartware because i read it has the “perfect” function to back up as files are updated. I am noticing that the spreadsheets are not updated. New ones are even missing. Have WD made any improvements or is there any hack found that I can use to make the software work as it was offered? I have data i cannot lose and it changes constantly.

Having the same problem WD Smartware 2.4.16, using windows 7 Prof 64 bit, haven’t enabled security via WD security.Considering trying version 1.6.5.3 as old posts appear to suggest this, but why is it still a problem? Hunch its a window 7 pro problem specifically. In meantime manually copying stuff!