WD RED WD60EFRX Failing after 40k hours

Dear WD,

Several years ago I’ve built a fileserver made up of four 6TB WD RED drives, looking back it was a mistake. Mistake to buy four identical drives for the very reason I’m writing here… Maybe even buy WD??

Two of those drives failed within days after each other leaving 80% of my data forever lost…

One HDD had failed from OK to completely dead leaving my RAID 10 array in a degraded state, I’ve bought the same WD RED EFRX the next day. Installed it and rebuilding started. Before it could finish however, another HDD has failed - not completely dead this time, but reporting bad sectors all over the place. No matter what tool, nothing has helped to rebuild all data correctly…

Seeing as one HDD has made only repeating noises and not eve BIOS had detected it, I’ve disassembled it to see what’s what… This is what I saw inside…

All plates look like this on both sides…

Is that normal after just 4,68 years?

Now I have two “functional” drives I don’t dare use because these are manufactured on the very same day those two failed are… has this happened to anyone else?

That plate should be mirror like. Clearly the media is badly oxidized.

I suggest using more disks in a RAID 6 like array which can tolerate 2 disk faults before data is lost

Larger NAS boxes with 30, 45, 60 hard disks use 15 disks in a block with 2 disks as redundancy.