WD Red (WD40EFRX) not detectable after power outage

Hi folks,

after a power outage the WD Red 4.0 TB HDD (WD40EFRX) is not detected anymore.
The Synology NAS only states that no HDD was inserted (and led is flashing orange).

As I connected the HDD to my pc but their it is not detected, too.

The HDD is spinning normally (e.g. not making any weird sounds)

The LifeGuard Program lists the HDD but only with 0 MB Capacity.
Quick Test and Extended Test are finished after several seconds and both result in PASS:

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 
Unit Serial Number:  
Firmware Number:  
Capacity: 0.00 GB 
SMART Status: Not Available 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 20:53:57, November 18, 2020 

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 
Unit Serial Number:  
Firmware Number:  
Capacity: 0.00 GB 
SMART Status: Not Available 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 20:54:26, November 18, 2020 

I’d like to somehow restore (/rescue) the data on the HDD. Has anyone any idea?

it looks like the disk was trashed

see if it can be erased which may bring the disk back

I managed to execute QUICK and EXTENDED TEST via the Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS.

After creating a Bootable Stick and trying to execute DOSDLG.EXE I ran into ERROR/CODE 0132
But than - I thought it was related to the -A (“Disable error code for SMART failures”) command line option - I was able to start DOSDLG.EXE.
Here the HDD was recognized with 4TB capacity

I executed the QUICK TEST and the EXTENDED TEST which resulted in “NO ERRORS FOUND” after about 7h. Furthermore I had no device error in the bios after rebooting.

As I tried to put it back in in my nas it was not recognized again.
Put it back in in my Tower-PC again device error in bios. Tried the procedure mentioned above. But now I get ERROR/CODE 0132 all over again.

Very disappointing. This is a storage designed for NAS… And after 4 years of rare to medium use it’s just a overpriced paperweight?!

I ran a low-price buffalo nas with an built in 1TB HDD (I guess samsung from the name) for 9 years!! And that thing is still working.

That is ridiculous and looks like planned obsolescence to me.
(I found another Thread “4T WD RED WD40EFRX 2 failed disks displaying 0 storage” where the exact same error pattern can be found and for two HDDs at the same time)

My next NAS HDDs will definitely not be from WD. I’ll switch over to Seagate.

Despite the fact that I’m hating the WD manufacturer right now, I wanted to thank the WD-Community which tried to help me.