WD RED 3,0 TB Failure after 2 months!

Hello,

I’ve installed two HDD - 3,0TB WD in a Synology DS214 NAS Server. After two months the HDD is put into degrade mode and indicated crashed. Repair after recommended actions from Synology is not possible as disk is not visible anymore.

Is there another way to check if the disk is crashed or can I lodge a support request for advanced replacement?

Regards,

Victor

Hello,

You may run a diagnostic on the drive using WD DLG.

I have experienced the same problem in my DS213+ with 2 WD RED 3TB drives after 11 months.

I have contacted Synology Support and received the following answer:

Hi Poul,

Thanks for your feedback 

WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 is the 1st generation of WD hard disk. After consulting WD, they will suggest if this hard disk has no S.M.A.R.T error but not stable, it’s better to replace it to get back 2nd WD RED hard disk though WD RMA service. 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, 
Adair Hsu
Technical Support
Synology Inc. 

I have today started a RMA support case at WD support, and look forward to receive the replacement drive.

Best Regards

Poul Anker

1 Like

Hi Poul,

thank you for your support and I probably will log a request as well.

The suggested option Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows will not work as the drive is insterted in a synology bay station and is no longer recognized.

Thanks,

Victor

Hi! I’ve get the same error that the op and i contacted synology, but get no info from them. Have you get your data back? Is known why the error occurre? Thanks!

Hi, In the end I used the software of synology nas to do a disk check and this worked out ok. If you have a synology nas I would suggest to follow software from synology first.

vschapie wrote:
Hi, In the end I used the software of synology nas to do a disk check and this worked out ok. If you have a synology nas I would suggest to follow software from synology first.

Hi!

Thanks! But in my Synology didn’t appears the HD in the HD section… I tryed it in my computer and makes no sound.

Also tryed to change the PCB and it makes sound, but it didn’t works, so I think it should be a pcb error…

Hi Julian,

I ejected and inserted the disks a number of time and reset the nas as well. power on and power off. the server than showed the disks which allowed me to review them.

Maybe give. it a go?

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll try it.

Hello poulanker

I see you had issues with WD RED 3TB and submitted an RMA to WD.

I assume you’ve received your replacement drives (2nd generation) and wondering how they are working for you in your NAS ?

I have the same issue with a DS412+, using 4 x 3TB WD RED drives and just submitted a support ticket after experiencing this issue many times over the last year.

If anyone else has RMA’d the drives and received 2nd generation ones, I’d also be interested to hear your experience.

Thanks !

I have 4 of the WD30EFRX version 68EUZN0.  I don’t know if they are 1st or 2nd Gen. I purchased 3 for my Synology DSM412+ in January of this year, and one last month after my Volume crashed and burned.

2 of my 4 drives have failed in my Synology NAS.

I hate the WD 3TB RED and am ready to switch brands.  Just filed an RMA with WD.  Waiting to see how a replacement goes before I totally abandon ship.

Is this WD issue or Synology?

For what it’s worth, and in the interest of full disclosure, I am the author of this thread at the Synology forums.

Model No: WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 are the 1st generation drives as far as I’m aware

Not good to hear you have other RED drives which are also failing. 

It’s not like the drives are cheap (quite the oppposite) and they are designed to run in a NAS, so many people shouldn’t be having this issue.  I’ve been reading some interesting threads about the RED drives and the general consencus is that WD doesn’t make the quality drives they used to and many users are switching brands

Just have a look at this thread on Synologys forums, tons of users with RED drives failing / crashing arrays

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=178

irishj wrote:

Just have a look at this thread on Synologys forums, tons of users with RED drives failing / crashing arrays

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=178

I just compared the Seagate NAS 3TB drives on Amazon with the 3TD WD REDs…

FWIW, Seagate has a response on almost every single negative review (1-star), asking the customer to contact their support team.  Of six pages of 1-star reviews on the WD RED drives, there was not a single response from WD support.

I guess that just about sums it up.