WD Passport Pro Battery Capacity Lowered alert

I’m confused… this is sitting in my living room. Has been plugged into power the entire time. We use this for an always on network attached wireless storage, which BTW it is marketed as… what the heck is with this message? Now my battery is saying full at 88% and it’s only maybe 30 days old.

Better read the manual. The first gen MPW had issues with leaving the batter always plugged it and some batteries would be damaged.

WD came up with a new battery management system that cranks the charge down to around 80% if the unit is left charging for too long.

Personally, I would not use the device as a NAS 24/7/365 and stopped using mine that way when the battery issue surfaced. I got myself a “real” WD NAS and just use the MPW for infrequent use for travel, etc. and suggest others do same.

I just bought this thing so why would it be a first gen?

The worst thing you can do is cycle a battery constantly, that will degrade the battery. If anything their battery management hw/sw is ■■■■ poor to have to “degrade” a battery. I’m starting to think I should be asking for a refund at this point with this device.

Hey, I did not say you got a first gen. Make the “connection” – if they fixed the first gen, would you not think the new design is in the later gens? Duh!

BTW, WD does not market this as a substitute NAS. Maybe some dude at Best Buy told you this,

You are all wet about batteries. MANY portable devices say not to leave a device charging all the time.

You really need to read the battery management section of the complete user manual. Nothing is degraded; it is being prptected.

You come across as a real smarty pants. Sorry I helped you.