WD Passport not working on my new Macbook Pro

Hi,
I have 2 WD passports that are 1.5 years old that have been working perfectly well on my old Mac book pro. I have upgraded to a new mac book pro and they no longer work. I am using a USB to USB-c adaptor but they don’t show up on my sidebar or desktop but I can see them in my Utilities disk. Can anyone help to let me know how i can fix this?

Thanks,
Ilyia

Hi @IDavis,

There could be a few reasons why the drive is not working. The drive itself could have failed, the partition on the drive may be damaged, the data cable may no longer be good, or the drive may no longer be getting enough power to fully spin up.

In order to understand the health of the drive, we would request you to install WD Drive Utilities and run the test :

Title: How to install WD Drive Utilities( For both Windows and MAC)
Link: Error

Hi Neha,
I know the passports are working as they work on my 2014 MacBook Pro and my work laptop which is a 2019 MacAir. There is something happening with my new Mac that is stopping it from reading the passport. Can you help?

Thanks,
Ilyia

Whenever you connect an external drive to your mac, the storage drive may not show up on Desktop, Finder or even on Disk Utility due to various reasons:

1. USB connectivity problem
  2. MacOS preference settings
  3. Partition map damage
  4. Device incompatibility
  5. Physical damage on a drive

However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Check the USB connectivity
  2. Enable visibility of external hard drive
  3. Update macOS
  4. Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility
  5. Repair external hard drive by using Terminal
  6. Erase the external hard drive
  7. If none of the above works, then the drive needs replacement

Further, you can also check the below link for steps to be followed in each method mentioned above:

Hope it helps!