WD Passport constant spinning

Hi there.
Posting here as i can’t find a solution using the usual search methods that fixes this.
I recently purchased a WD My Passport 5TB to store media for my Plex server.
I’ve noticed that it rarely stops spinning, when i know files are not being accessed. This causes me concern due to the fact this will massively shorten its lifetime.
Here’s what i’ve done so far:
1 I’ve unticked the box in the properties for ‘Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties’.
2 I’ve installed the WD Drive Utilities software and set the sleep time to 10 minutes.

Neither has made any difference, and i was wondering if i could get some advise please.

Kind regards

Steve

Hi @sroles81,

Please refer to the article of WD My Passport drive does not spin up, is not recognized, or makes a clicking sound when connected to a computer:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22209

Thank you for your response, but I’m not having the issues that that post is referring to. The drive has no clicking, no failing to spin up, no failing to be recognised.
My issue is that it randomly spins when the drive isn’t being used at all.

Only thing that I forgot to mention which could be pertinent is that it’s attached to a powered USB hub which is connected to a mini PC. The reason why it is powered is because the mini PC alone doesn’t provide enough power output to run the drive.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1. Install the WD Drive utility app from Western Digital.
  2. You can then adjust the spin-down time for your USB drive and even turn off the LED if you want:
1 Like

Hi Lizzy

As stated in my notes, I have already done this.

It made no effect unfortunately.

What else do you suggest please?

Steve

I am facing the same issue. Tried with WDUtilities, HDParm. The HDD never sleeps. Tested on multiple PCs and multiple OSes

Did anyone fix this? I’m having the same problem, connected to mini S beelink pc but directly, no hub.

It’s important to address the issue of your WD My Passport drive not spinning down when it’s not actively in use. Constantly spinning can indeed reduce the lifespan of the drive and increase power consumption.
Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve this issue:

1. Check for Background Processes: Make sure there are no background processes or applications accessing files on the drive. Sometimes, a background task can prevent the drive from entering sleep mode. Check for any applications that might be accessing files on the drive, including Plex server or any other media-related software.

2. Windows Power Settings:

• Open the “Power & Sleep” settings in Windows.
    • Click on “Additional power settings” on the right-hand side.
    • Select the power plan you are using (usually Balanced or Power Saver).
    • Click on “Change plan settings” next to your selected plan.
    • Click on “Change advanced power settings.”
    • In the advanced settings window, look for “Hard disk” and set the “Turn off hard disk after” option to an appropriate time, like 10 or 15 minutes.
  3. WD Drive Utilities: Since you’ve already tried this, you may want to check if there is a firmware update available for your WD My Passport drive. Firmware updates can sometimes resolve power management issues.

4. Check for Software Updates: Make sure your operating system and Plex server software are up to date. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes that can affect drive behavior.

5. Disable Windows Search Indexing: If you haven’t already, you can disable Windows Search indexing for the external drive:

• Right-click on the drive in Windows File Explorer.
    • Select “Properties.”
    • Under the “General” tab, uncheck “Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.”
  6. Third-Party Tools: Consider using third-party utilities designed to manage drive sleep behavior, such as “NoSleepHD” or “NoSleep.” These tools can help you configure sleep settings for your external drive.

7. Eject the Drive When Not in Use: If none of the above solutions work, you can manually eject the drive when it’s not in use. This is not ideal, but it ensures the drive is not spinning constantly. Just be sure to safely eject the drive to prevent data corruption.

8. Contact WD Support: If the issue persists, you might want to reach out to Western Digital’s customer support for further assistance. There could be specific firmware updates or settings that need adjustment for your particular drive model.

Remember to backup your data before making any significant changes to drive settings or firmware updates to prevent data loss.