WD MyCloud not working

Hi guys,

I have a Western Digital MyCloud 6TB device that is no longer working properly. I can ping it but I can’t access it over the network, It does not show up under network devices and if I manually enter the ip or name I get : “Windows cannot access …” error. The web console also does not open.

Please help!

@pvvuuren

Try \\WDMYCLOUD or try the name you gave your device.

Does your device look like this and have OS5?
WDMyCloudImage

Hi @cat0w ,

As per my initial message I did try the name, \MYCLOUD does not work either.

Yes it looks like that and have OS5

What color is the front LED? Blue, red, yellow, flashing, solid, etc.
Have you changed anything on your local network, including changing the ISP or broadband gateway/router?
Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable from the router to the My Cloud?
Have you tried connecting the Ethernet cable to a different network port on the router?
Is the My Cloud directly connected to the local network router or it is connected to a extender, powerline extender, mesh node, etc?
Did you previously configure the My Cloud for a static IP address?
Did this problem start after updating your computer(s)? Have you tried a different computer to see if the problem exists on that one?

Have you tried a 4 second reset? If that doesn’t work, have you tried a 40 second reset?

Pin Reset and System Only Restore WD My Cloud OS 3
My Cloud OS 3 Pin Reset and System Only Restore a Single Bay My Cloud Device
How to Pin Reset and System Only Restore My Cloud OS 5 Devices

What color is the front LED? Blue, red, yellow, flashing, solid, etc.

• Flasing Blue

Have you changed anything on your local network, including changing the ISP or broadband gateway/router?

• No

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable from the router to the My Cloud?

• Why would I do that if I AM able to ping the device?

Have you tried connecting the Ethernet cable to a different network port on the router?

• Same as previous

Is the My Cloud directly connected to the local network router or it is connected to a extender, powerline extender, mesh node, etc?

• Connected directly to the router, Again I don’t see the relevance if I am able to ping the router.

Did you previously configure the My Cloud for a static IP address?

• Yes

Did this problem start after updating your computer(s)? Have you tried a different computer to see if the problem exists on that one?

• No, the problem started after many power outages, therefore I am inclined to think the problem is with the Firmware

Have you tried a 4 second reset? If that doesn’t work, have you tried a 40 second reset?

• I will do that now

Reset did not work btw, light still flashing blue and I still get the same IP when I ping

The whole point of troubleshooting is to eliminate possible causes of problems. Damaged Ethernet cables or network ports can present potential issues with network devices causing them to not respond to network traffic correctly.

The problem starting after power outages is likely something that should have been mentioned up front first. Its possible your My Cloud, if the second generation single bay version, is stuck “indexing” the hard drive after the power outage. Flashing or blinking blue LED is indicative of hard drive action. Depending on the hard drive contents it may take days for the indexing to finish.

My Cloud: Blinking Blue Drive LED
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/25694

There are a number of past complaints about indexing tying up a second generation single bay My Cloud to the point it becomes unresponsive.

@Bennor

The whole point of troubleshooting is to eliminate possible causes of problems. Damaged Ethernet cables or network ports can present potential issues with network devices causing them to not respond to network traffic correctly.

-Seriously my guy, I do not know where your troubleshooting skills comes from, but I have been in the IT industry form more than 10 years, and I have NEVER seen a cable issue where I am able to get a NORMAL ping when the cable is damaged. But just to satisfy you and hopefully everyone else and move on with our lives, I HAVE tried a different cable and guess what, NO change at all so can we please get past the cable story now and try some real troubleshooting! As I have said before the only logical reason for me could be the fact that the Firmware got corrupted due to multiple power outages, so REAL help to me would look more like this: How can I reload the firmware on the device…

-The blinking blue light does not go away, does not matter how many hours I leave the device on, or whether I reset it change cables or whatever… therefore AGAIN I point to corrupted firmware and again I ask how to reload the firmware of the device instead of trying other monkey support like different cables, ports, restarting the device or ANY other time-wasting nonsense!!

1 Like

They didn’t learn at the School of Hard Knocks? Weak Google-fu?

1 Like

exactly Cerberus,

It reminds me of when your internet is down and you know everything on your side is fine, settings on the router etc and when you phone your ISP for help they tell you to reset your router and plug it out and back in again lol

Anyways so it seems I couldn’t get the correct assistance I was looking for here on the WD forums which is abit of a shame, however I was able to find exactly what I was looking for on YouTube after googling the blinking blue light issue. Problem solved!

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OrtHp4eGKI)

1 Like

It should be noted that you have not asked, until your last post, how to reload the firmware. Users here have no idea as to your knowledge or skill which is why basic troubleshooting steps are suggested first. You have not indicated what were the cause of the “many power outages” (lightening, poor electrical service, power line down, brown outs etc). Power line irregularities can potentially damage electronics causing weird issues to happen if the electronics are not on quality surge protectors or similar devices.

As indicated, you can search the subforums if you don’t believe what is being posted, the stupid OS5 indexing on certain My Cloud models can take days if there is a lot of media stored on the unit. Sometimes, this can cause the unit to be unresponsive. And the My Cloud Dashboard to be unresponsive.

If the firmware has truly been corrupted, and one has a single bay, single drive second generation My Cloud, one can attempt one of the various “unbrick” methods to try and restore firmware to the device. Some of those unbrick methods (by user Fox_exe) involves using a USB flash drive, other methods involve extracting the hard drive from the enclosure to “unbrick” method the unit and restore the firmware to the hard drive. One can backup any user content from the extracted hard drive (from the EXT4 user data partition on the drive) prior to attempting to “unbrick” the drive.

One example of a gen 2 single bay My Cloud unbrick process:
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
Files used in that example method:
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/usbrecovery.tar.gz
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Developing/uImage-wdrecovery
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Developing/uRamdisk-wdrecovery

The multi bay My Cloud units may have a different method of firmware restoration when the My Cloud dashboard cannot be reached.

Edit to add: A search for blinking blue LED will bring up a number of hits in forum (https://community.wd.com/search?q=blinking%20blue%20led%20%23os5) with various suggestions. One method some used to fix their blinking blue LED issue was the following:

Run the command: e2fsck /dev/sda3

@Cerberus
@pvvuuren

We are here to try and help other users. If a person doesn’t like our suggestions, they can always ignore them.

IT Definition - What is Information Technology? (techterms.com)

Troubleshooting Definition (techterms.com)

Boot Definition - What does it mean to boot a computer? (techterms.com)

The paragraph below comes from this link, RAM Definition - What is RAM? (techterms.com)

System memory is considered “volatile” memory since it only stores data while a device is turned on. When the device is powered down, data stored in the RAM is erased. When the device is restarted, the operating system and applications load fresh data into the system memory. This is why restarting a computer often fixes problems.

Both of my WDMYCLOUDS 1st and 2nd generation are working fine and have been working for several years. I reboot them every week by performing either a warm reboot or cold reboot.

I have the same type of drive and i had troubles getting it to work on my new PC, but eventually managed to. However, the apps that I can download from the google play store no longer give me remote access to the drive. I received lots of emails in the past from WD about how they would no longer support these older devices beyond a certain date, but WTF. That’s ok to not support, but you still need to keep the app somewhere for downloading, otherwise what’s the point of selling us a product that no longer works as intended.

Any ideas where I can get this older app, if this is the solution ?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

@LouieandBooie,
Which My Cloud device do you have and what operating system/firmware is it running?

For OS3 (v4.x firmware and v2.x firmware) WD has terminated remote access to the those units using the MyCloud.com web portal, various WD software, and WD My Cloud mobile app(s):

My Cloud OS3 End of Service

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: After the services are shut down, you can only access the device on a local network. Access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app won’t work. Email notifications won’t be delivered. Devices that had auto-update enabled received a final firmware update that disabled remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Now, support has ended and you have to use your local network to access your device.

If you need to regain remote access to an OS3 My Cloud one has several options. One can use the insecure FTP protocol to access their My Cloud remotely. Enable FTP in the My Cloud Dashboard, setup port forwarding on the router/gateway the My Cloud is connected to, then use a FTP client to access the My Cloud using FTP.

My Cloud: Configure FTP Server Access
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4749

Or one can setup a VPN server on the local network of the My Cloud and use a VPN client to gain remote access to their My Cloud. Properly setting up VPN typically requires additional skill and knowledge. Certain consumer routers may include VPN Server capabilities as one of their features. One can search the internet for DIY guides on setting up a VPN server and accessing the remote network using a VPN client. There may be other options other than FTP or VPN for remote access.

For local network access to a My Cloud one can use a file manager app on mobile devices. Plenty of free and paid file manager apps available for Android and iOS mobile devices.

MyCloud P/N : WDBCTL0030HWT-00

Firmware : Current Version WDMyCloud v04.06.00-111 : Core F/W

@LouieandBooie

For the single bay WDMYCLOUD there are two different generations. The first generation with OS 3 firmware 04.xx.xx no longer works online but can be used on your local network. I have mine set up on my home network and I am still using it. I have had this device for almost eleven years, and it is working fine.

The second generation, unless you have updated it, should have OS 3 with firmware 02.xx.xx but can be upgraded to OS5 with firmware 05.xx.xx. I have owned my second generation My Cloud for going on six years.

@LouieandBooie ,
The first gen OS3 v4.x firmware single bay My Cloud cannot unfortunately be updated to OS5. The OS3 My Cloud mobile app no longer works for local or remote access. One can use a “file manager” app (see your mobile device’s app store) on their mobile device for local access to one’s My Cloud. Or use Windows File Explorer on Windows PC’s, or Mac Finder on Macintosh PC’s for local network access to the My Cloud. For Windows PC’s one may have to enable SMB1.0 support within Windows and configure the Windows Network Profile for Private and not Public.

Enable SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support for My Cloud, My Cloud Home, My Passport Wireless and Legacy NAS Products
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4155

As indicated above, for remote access one will typically have to setup their own remote access method since the WD web portal, WD software or WD apps no longer work for OS3 device remote access.

1 Like

@pvvuuren
Have you downloaded and read the User Manual? Did you check the Knowledge Base?

My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual

Support | Western Digital

This really got the helpers going, where they reeked of desperation. The fake user at the end was pretty funny, but it’s especially hilarious when a real user appears and the helpers descend on them like locusts.

We got one!