WD MyCloud Gen2 Chroot (+ Transmission and Minidlna)

Please detail what you did to get it working in case others have a similar problem or issue.

1 Like

Sure,this is what i did.

1. Upload archive to any shared folder (In Public for example)
  2. Tur on “SSH access” in Web-gui.
  3. Set Username: Username
  4. Set password: Password
  5. Download PuTTY (or any other ssh client), connect to WDMC ( IP of WD My Cloud ).
    Using SSH username and password ( Usernam:Password )
  6. Run this in console:
    cd /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public
    tar xvf chroot-jessie-gen2.tar -C …/
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot/chroot-debian.sh start

If Errors

7.Go inside chroot env.:
chroot /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot/ /bin/bash

8.run this in console ( remove and reinstall )

apt-get purge transmission-daemon
apt-get autoremove
apt-get install transmission-daemon

9.Setting up transmission

On Webadmin create share called “Temp”

go inside chroot

chroot /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot/ /bin/bash

and run this.

service transmission-daemon stop

nano /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json

change :

“download-dir”: “/mnt/shares/Temp”,
“incomplete-dir”: “/mnt/shares/Temp”,
“unmask”: 0

Change Username and password
Defult username is: transmission
Defult Password is: password

Save and Exit and run this.

chmod 777 /mnt/shares/Temp/ -R

service transmission-daemon start

That`s it

1 Like

I installed the package the following the steps in 1st message. What should I do if I want to revert the changes?

I followed the steps from the OP.

After I install transmission and bash chroot stop and start the application I get the following:

[warn] Starting bittorrent daemon: transmission-daemon (warning).

with what appears to be the daemon up and running.

I attempted to access the application, but I am getting no pop up GUI. Should I be using the Transmission Remote GUI, and if so why am I getting an access denied when I try to log in?

If need be, I can cite my run commands start to finish. I supposed I should also mention I am running OS 10.11.

Latest FW have internal torrent-client (“P2P” in apps). Its Transmission, but w/o web gui, only RPC (Remote Connection / Transm. Remote GUI). Maybe P2P already started and listen this port.

In the webGUI, I see no P2P in apps. In the TRGUI I am getting 403: Forbidden, Unauthorized access…json “rpc-whitelist” so on…

Stop trans, edit config.json (Disable whitelist, or change user/pass/allowed IP’s)

Thanks, everything is working great

Hi all,

I have done the first steps and seems like everything is in place but, can anyone tell me how to run transmission once the installation process is finished?

formerly I had an WD myBook live running transmission via 192.168.0.134:9091 but now i´m trying to access and there is no way :frowning:

thanks for the great work!

Victor

I can’t see it in apps so does that meant it’s not installed? I’ve installed TRG but can’t seem to connect.

Any advice most welcome.

Update:

I can see the Minidlna as a source on my Smart TV but still don’t know how to access Transmission…

I think - port 9091 used by internal transmission daemon (Hidden “P2P” app).
Try to change port in settings.json.
And use “Transmission Remote GUI” as client.

Thank you but I just get “Connection refused”.

Thanks, it’s working for me but tell me how can I Watch the torrent in DLNA ?

Because they are in the folder (chroot) /mnt/shares/temp but this folder dont appear in my DLNA list on my TV …

@Fox_exe

Hi so I am having a problem where the install apps button is disabled. I tried to remove an app but it will not let me install. The app install page looks like this: (see image below) and only 8 apps are installed in total (including the WD default apps eg. Web file viewer)

Please let me know what I need to do. I already followed the steps to enable the apps page on the web UI/Dashboard

Hi all,

QuickFynd 2 isn’t working. Everything I try to connect to the server it fails and said that it could not find the QuickFynd service.

hi @Fox_exe… i just bought Mycloud gen2. trying to upload the chroot file but i couldnt find in anywhere in your folder. can assist where can i find it? thanks a lot.

MyCloud 4tb
Firmware Version : 2.21.126

if anyone have any info it would be great. thanks

@hapizi → https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Apps/WDMyCloudMirrorGen2_Debian_8.0-1.bin

Thanks for you quick reply @Fox_exe… just to double confirm. Can i use this for my WDMycloud single bay? As i see it is MyCloud Mirror Debian. Thanks again.

https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/
For WDMC Gen1 - use “Chroot”. For all other devices - “Debian app”