WD MyCloud Gen2 Chroot (+ Transmission and Minidlna)

Yes. See in /etc/apache2 (env, httpd.conf and other configs).
But in Gen2 impossible to save settings (rootfs loads from archive on boot, so all your changes not saved after reboot).
Maybe Vpn - bridge mode better solution for this.

:frowning: Thatā€™s a pitty. But thank you. This is the solution only for Web UI, am I right? What about file sharing rights? A canā€™t login to SMB share remotely. Always tells me ā€œYou donā€™t have permissionā€¦ā€

Are you going to develop your own firmware for 2nd generation devices?

Yes. Already got one (Exchange with one man).
Also got WDMC Mirror (gen1). Debian and DSM6 available for install (ā€œTestā€ build, but stable).

Thatā€™s great. Can you post link or somethink, how to install custom firmware?

can someone help me? i still getting
transmission unable to save resume file permission denied
after couple mins, clicking resume all button resume all fixes problem for couple mins and then i got
transmission unable to save resume file permission denied
againā€¦

Inside my Public share are a number of folders with movies, etc. that are SMB shared to an Apple TV. If I use this CHROOT method (I am because Iā€™d like to install qbittorrent) would it suddenly make these files inaccessible?

hi,

i did full wipe and start again with installation and now i works fine.

i have two questions more:

1. is there a way to install better gui for transmission?
  2. what is the difference between minidlna and wd built-in dlna?

thanks

Thank you so much!!! Working qbittorrent! :))

One last hurdle - I donā€™t seem to be able to have the torrents download to the Public share folder so that I can see it through a Finder window on my Mac :frowning:

Sorted!

Hi smegsaber, would you be able to assist me in getting qbittorrent installed please? I have a gen2 coming tomorrow and this feature is essential to me.

Many thanks for any help.

Hello i success to install the chroot but i canā€™t connect to transmission website. Please help. Thanks.

Hi Bob,

Iā€™ve already talked to Fox about this, i got a WD Mirror, this NAS share the SAME firmware with the EX2, these devices got the same hardware (seems) and i would like to give the Mirror the same functionnalities as the EX2 (iscsi mostly), iā€™ve already checked the modules and it seems that there is only some small changes to do to make it work.
Now the procedure, did i understand it correctly :

• Making changes in the crf folder
  • Squash it with the script create_image.sh
  • Write it to the boot/boot partition ? How to do this ?

==> If the write fail, if the prepared img is bad ā€¦ will it brick the thing and most importantly, can we unbrick it ?

Second solution, in case we do not have sources :

• Get the Installed partition on boot/boot
  • Unsquash it
  • Make changes
  • Squash it
  • Flash to boot/boot

Does it seems ok ?

Thank you very much, but how to install aria2 and let it autostart ?

Hi, need help.

I loaded the package and can see minidlna is working

My problem is I got a command line that can run outside Chroot, but due to dependency, I need to run inside the Chroot

I put the executable inside Chroot in the folder /usr/newfoldername, and chmod 777 * +R, run the file using ./newprogram
The system return bash: ./newprogram: No such file or directory

I am not a linux expert and do not know how to make it works.

Please help. Thanks

cd /usr/newfoldername ./yourprogramm
or

/usr/newfoldername/newprogram

or store your program in one of default locations (/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) and just type ā€œnewprogramā€ in any folder for run your program.

Note: Use /usr/sbin folder for your program (executable), /etc for configs, /usr/var for store variables (pid files and other), /var/log for logs and /usr/local for additional data (Default linux folders)

Hi, I got the same issue. Tried the suggested alternate by Dennis3001, but
still facing the same. Download starts, runs for a while and stops.
Could any one help, pls

In Transmission I get Error: Unable to save resume file: Permission denied,What to do?please help

How to move downloaded files to WD My Cloud Public folder,so i can access them from my computer?

hi everyone,

i have a my cloud gen2. i replaced a new hdd. but it didnt work.

i read this and i did one by one.

especially i tried this a lot of
https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/

fox,
can you help me?

Nevermind,got it working :wink: