WD Mybook Essential Basic Troubleshooting Question

Dear WD Community,

hello my name is damsilon, i just bought WD my book essential 2TB 3.5 inches today, i have a question regarding it however.

I’m not good with IT, and I’d like to ask…

1. how to properly turn off the mybook essential and unplug it? What is the correct step?

=> ps: Usually I used 2.5 external hdd, so today I tried the normal way of right click => safely remove hardware, (but even after I safely remove hardware), I saw the Mybook Essential is still on  Power ON state . I mean, i can see from above that the HDD light is still on

1. I haven’t installed WD Smartware at all (I don’t think i will need the software), the only thing I have installed is the WD SES driver.

=> Do I need to install WD smartware to safely remove hardware?

1. When I wanted to power off the mybook essential, is it safe to push the power off button while the external HDD is still connected to my PC?

2. Also when I tried to turn off the mybook essential by pushing the power button, the hdd does not respond. I have to hold the power off button for 5-10 seconds to get it turned off. Is this normal? It feels like forced restart to me >_<.

So basically my question is what is the correct step-by-step to unplug and turn off WD mybook essential 3.5 inches HDD, and what things is considered improper handling of turn power off / unplug? Also what software do I need to install for power off / unplug?

Lastly, i’d like to ask, on the My Book Essential folder, there is a dotnetframework35 exe file. I tried to install that, and now i got this folder on the My Book disk

is this normal and, may i ask what can i do to undo it? I mean, i’d like to delete and uninstall that folder, may i ask what is the correct step to do so?

thank you very much and i wish everyone who take their time to answer this question have a great day,

damsilon

1. how to properly turn off the mybook essential and unplug it? What is the correct step? when you safely remove the drive, it will stay on because it’s still getting signal from the computer. However, if you get the message that says that you can umplug the drive, you can go ahead and do that without any issues.

2. I haven’t installed WD Smartware at all (I don’t think i will need the software), the only thing I have installed is the WD SES driver.

=> Do I need to install WD smartware to safely remove hardware? No, Smartware it’s just a backup software.

1. When I wanted to power off the mybook essential, is it safe to push the power off button while the external HDD is still connected to my PC? First safely remove the drive and then press the power button of just pull the USB cable and it will go off.

2. Also when I tried to turn off the mybook essential by pushing the power button, the hdd does not respond. I have to hold the power off button for 5-10 seconds to get it turned off. Is this normal?

“According to the User manual”

Use the power button to safely power down the drive and avoid data loss or damage to
the drive. The power button only works when the WD SmartWare software is installed on
your computer.

Note:  If you disconnect the drive after using the power button to turn it off, when
you reconnect it to your running computer, the drive automatically powers
on. If you leave the drive connected to your computer after using the
power button to turn it off, you must press the power button again to turn
it back on.

So basically my question is what is the correct step-by-step to unplug and turn off WD mybook essential 3.5 inches HDD, and what things is considered improper handling of turn power off / unplug? Also what software do I need to install for power off / unplug?  I recommend you to check the user manual to get all the necessary information about the drive. check the links below

User manual link

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705019.pdf

How to physically connect, disconnect, and install a WD external drive in a Windows PC or Mac

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5316/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0OTI4MjQ5My9zaWQval9qTUhPN2w%3D

1 Like