WD MyBook 2TB USB3.0 not showed into "My computer"

Hi all,

I have a strange issue with Windows 7 Professional + my external HDD MyBOOK 2Tb USB3.0.

Problem scenario:

• Connect the HDD to my PC  → Everything is fine and It works correctly

• After saved data into HDD I perform right mouse on “Safetely remove hardware” icon and select “Eject my Book 1140” → Command executed correctly and the external HDD is succesfully stopped

• After the above operation, I unplug the USB3.0 cable and try to reconnect the HDD to the PC without unpluggin the power supply cable, but the HDD LED starts to blink, then it stop but the HDD is not showed anymore into “my Computer” and I can’t access to it.

Under “Disk Management” utils the HDD doesn’t exist

Under “Device Manager” appear again under “Disk Drive” + “Universal Bus controller” like USB mass storage + “WD Drive Management Devices” like WD SES Device

I also changed the drive letter to avoid drive conflict → Issue still present

I also tried to format the HDD or reinstall the USB3.0 PC driver + WD SES Device driver → Problem still present

I also used different USB port (also USB2.0) → No changes

The only way to see the HDD again into “My computer” is unplug the USB 3.0 + power cable and reconnect both. After that I can use again the MyBook external HDD.

Can you help me to solve this problem in order that I’m able to see again the HDD just when the USB cable is connected again to the PC?

Not sure if an issue or something to do with windows

will do some testing later on with my drive and see how it goes

Ok many thanks. Waiting your final test result.

Please keep me updated regarding it.

I have Windows XP Pro with a My Book Essential 1TB external and am having the SAME PROBLEM.  The solution of unplugging BOTH the USB and Power works but it hadn’t been necessary until just recently.

Yes, I apply the same workaround: in order to see again the HDD I need to unplug the USB + Power Cable (or push the power button off/on).

I don’t understand why is present this strange behavior on an external HDD. I have other HDDs from other vendor that works correctly.

Anyone from WD official support could explain me why it happens and how to solve it without unplug the HDD cables?

Thank God, I saw this post. I was getting really frustrated about the same problem, and could not figure out a consistent way to make the disk visible again in my Computer. After disconnect both and reconnect again, it seems to work. It’s hard to understand why, but as long as it works and I’m not losing any files, it’s okay.

I alos find the power button on the back of the My Book, seems not working at all.

KKYY2012 wrote:

Thank God, I saw this post. I was getting really frustrated about the same problem, and could not figure out a consistent way to make the disk visible again in my Computer. After disconnect both and reconnect again, it seems to work. It’s hard to understand why, but as long as it works and I’m not losing any files, it’s okay.

I don’t know why it happens this behavior. WD Support probably will help us providing an explanation or a fix to solve it.

KKYY2012 wrote:> I alos find the power button on the back of the My Book, seems not working at all.

Try to push for 10 seconds the power button. On my case it works correctly. Otherwise unplug directly the power cable but BEFORE to do this be sure that the HD Led is not blinking or the HD is writing data…:wink:

I have a WD 500GB external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working. When I plug the USB cable in, Windows recognizes that the device is there, and says that it has installed the approapriate software for the device and it is ready to use. However, the drive does not appear in My Computer. in the disk management i can see my own internal disk which is disk 0 and external disk (disk 1). And it show You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can acess it  but although i choose both MRB or GPT it does not work with a error the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error …my friend aks me to try TestDisk but i don know how to use it…who can teach me what should i do?

baoern wrote:

who can teach me what should i do?

You can try to uninstall the SES driver from your PC, then restart it. When the PC has restarted, reinstall again the SES driver and plug again your external HDD.

Wizer wrote:

Not sure if an issue or something to do with windows

will do some testing later on with my drive and see how it goes

Hi Wizer,

did you made the test? Is working correctly or not?