WD My Passport is not recognized on Mac

Hello, can someone help me please,

My macbook won’t access the WD drive. When I plugged the WD in, the external hard drive turned on with the light (not flashing) but it did not show up in the desktop, disk utility. It worked fine last week, I don’t know what happened. Is there any possible way to access the file ?

My external hard drive is 1TB and used probably 500GB. 

Thank you in advance…

Hi annaMACBOOK, welcome to the WD Community. Usually when this happens it is recommended to use another USB cable, also connect the Passport directly to the Mac USB port, avoid using USB extension cables or USB hubs since these can cause power inconsistencies. 

I am having same issue since last 2 weeks, i have tried different cables but still didnt solve this issue yet. 

Yea, I got a new cable too, and didn’t work. Is there any other way to access the files? It’s just so weird because the external hard drive was working last week…

Hi again, what OS version are you using? Have you tried connecting the drive to another Mac? 

It is mavericks. Is it because of the new OS? I did tried to put it in to a Windows computer. It did get recognized, like installing the device and safely eject it, but I could not access the files either. Please tell me the files aren’t gone forever?

Thank you

Your OS version shouldn’t give you any problems. It is possible that your files are corrupted. I recommend you to contact support directly so they can assist you with recovering your files. Check your private messages. 

Same thing here…changed the cable, updated the wd software…

Only difference is I am running Yosemite…

No recognition of the drive except when I disconnect it & then I get the error message that I failed to eject it properly…

dghaws

Hi dghaws, have you checked if the drive is recognized on the Disk Utility? From here you can try to fix the drive. Check the link below for more information. 

How to test a drive for defects or problems on a Mac

Sorry…pdf would not load…let me try this…

image did not load…