WD My Passport for Mac not Showing Up

Hello, we just had our Mac fixed after it’s screen froze and was unable to restart properly. The repair was getting a new hard drive. We still have the same computer, and had been backing up the old one with My Passport for Mac. However, the device became quite full, and we had it unplugged for about 160 days before the fixing of the computer. We asked the employees at the Apple Store if we needed to do anything special with the computer when we got it back, and they just said that we should follow the instructions. When we got the computer back, the screen we got one was similar to what you get when you purchase a completely new computer. When we got to the screen that says “Would you like top backup with a Time Machine device” I connected the My Passport for Mac into the USB and heard the clicking begin in the device. I then selected backup device and it started to search for devices, but after 30 minutes it had nothing, despite the My Passport being connected to the Mac. Instead of backing up then, we setup a completely new account and computer and then went into Migration Assistant again and tried. Nothing still. Unplugged and restarted the computer multiple times and still found nothing. Nothing on the desktop either, despite the facts the USB to the My Passport was clearly connected. Just to test the connection of the USB port, I plugged in my iPad and it detected it immediately. This is a major problem as we have a ton of information stored on the My Passport and now I basically have to start from scratch. I went to the Time Machine in System Preferences and there was nothing helpful and nothing was found.

Does anyone know what may be preventing it from showing up? Why it won’t show up in Migration Assistant? Any help?

Hello,

Have you tried the passport drive on another computer? If no, I recommend you do. Also if possible try replacing the USB cable.

I tried it with a Macbook and it didn’t recognize either. I’m pretty sure that it is a probably with the cord, as the actually hard drive seems to be on and working.